Kasey Dunn

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
So I believe in giving credit where it is due. Dunn and/or Gundy (I'll just refer to them as Dunndy) called a hell of a good offensive game on Saturday night. More passes over the middle of the field that we've seen in a long long time. I'll have to watch a replay to be sure but even in the 2nd half when we had several 3 and outs, I don't think it was because we went into our usual shell....it was more due to penalties and missed execution.

The O-Line pass protected better than they have all year so that could have had something to do with it. It's also possible that KSU's secondary has issues, I don't know but we had a lot of open receivers. The biggest problem, especially in the second was that SS was off on several throws to wide open receivers. He's still the starter in my book but that has to improve quickly or I may start to change my mind.

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
Sammamish, Washington.Dallas, Texas.Maui, Hawaii
No, I am saying our defense appears to be damn good and we're 4 and Oh, baby! And yet people can't appreciate a damn good defense and would rather lose 100 point shoot outs than win with good defense. The pissing and moaning and whining is shrill. Hearing it after every win is like listening to a Pelosi speech.

sent from Tapatalk penalized by wearing a mask
Uh..no. I’d rather listen to us whine about wins. I can’t do the latter.

OSUMIKE17

Property of The Oklahoman and NewsOk.com
A/V Subscriber
Apr 11, 2009
Tulsa
So I believe in giving credit where it is due. Dunn and/or Gundy (I'll just refer to them as Dunndy) called a hell of a good offensive game on Saturday night. More passes over the middle of the field that we've seen in a long long time.
This is a myth that needs to be put to bed. Here are SS’s passing attempts for the entire season so far.

He has thrown by far most of his passes into the middle of the field, even before the KSU game.
I'll have to watch a replay to be sure but even in the 2nd half when we had several 3 and outs, I don't think it was because we went into our usual shell....it was more due to penalties and missed execution.
There were a few factors here. Warren went out and that affected our ability to run and pass out of the backfield. And then, yes, the untimely penalties absolutely killed us as well. SS barely missed on one throw to Green. It happens. But it would have gone for a TD.
The O-Line pass protected better than they have all year so that could have had something to do with it. It's also possible that KSU's secondary has issues, I don't know but we had a lot of open receivers.
It may partially be KSU but the bigger reason is that the passing schemes and plays are getting better and better. Especially when teams are stacking their linebackers close to the LOS to stop the run.
The biggest problem, especially in the second was that SS was off on several throws to wide open receivers. He's still the starter in my book but that has to improve quickly or I may start to change my mind.
Haha, no. Just no. SS had one memorable off-throw in the second half. He was nowhere near the biggest problem in either half.

He threw for 344 yards at over 15 yards per completion, with a 65% completion rate. 2 passing TDs, 1 rushing TD, zero turnovers.

If you’re thinking he needs to “improve quickly” from that stat line or else you want him benched, you’re insane.

Sep 12, 2008
This is a myth that needs to be put to bed. Here are SS’s passing attempts for the entire season so far.

He has thrown by far most of his passes into the middle of the field, even before the KSU game.

There were a few factors here. Warren went out and that affected our ability to run and pass out of the backfield. And then, yes, the untimely penalties absolutely killed us as well. SS barely missed on one throw to Green. It happens. But it would have gone for a TD.

It may partially be KSU but the bigger reason is that the passing schemes and plays are getting better and better. Especially when teams are stacking their linebackers close to the LOS to stop the run.

Haha, no. Just no. SS had one memorable off-throw in the second half. He was nowhere near the biggest problem in either half.

He threw for 344 yards at over 15 yards per completion, with a 65% completion rate. 2 passing TDs, 1 rushing TD, zero turnovers.

If you’re thinking he needs to “improve quickly” from that stat line or else you want him benched, you’re insane.
There you go bringing facts and data to OP.. what will they think of next?!?

andylicious

Territorial Marshal
Nov 16, 2013
tractor

If we had the ability to grade the route running I believe we would see that the issue in some cases has been termination of a route, or an incorrect route being ran or the complimentary receiver not blocking

Cimarron

It's not dying I'm talking about, it's living.
Jun 28, 2007
No, I am saying our defense appears to be damn good and we're 4 and Oh, baby! And yet people can't appreciate a damn good defense and would rather lose 100 point shoot outs than win with good defense. The pissing and moaning and whining is shrill. Hearing it after every win is like listening to a Pelosi speech.

sent from Tapatalk penalized by wearing a mask
Beating Missouri State 23-16 and Tulsa 28-23 early this season felt a little like beating Montana State 15-10, Florida Atlantic 23-3, and Arkansas State 20-10 in 2005. Sure, we were 3-0 and only allowing 7.6 points per game......

Last time we played Missouri State we won 58-17 and went 7-6 on the season. We also beat Boise State that season by 23 points, the defense holding Boise to 21 points.

It's not the defense people have concerns with. It's the offense.

Cimarron

It's not dying I'm talking about, it's living.
Jun 28, 2007
We've never lost a game where we held the opponent to 20 or less, even against top 25 teams.
Never? We were beaten by Nebraska 17-7 in 2003.

Anyway, that's a nice stat, the flip side being is we are 14-19 in games (2011-2020) where we scored 28 points or less.

TheMonkey

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 16, 2004
DFW
Never? We were beaten by Nebraska 17-7 in 2003.

Anyway, that's a nice stat, the flip side being is we are 14-19 in games (2011-2020) where we scored 28 points or less.
Context. His previous comment was “under Gundy” and I think this was an add-on.