Kasey Dunn

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

andylicious

Territorial Marshal
Nov 16, 2013
tractor
You do remember he was hurt all last year? So really just 1 year plus a couple games of starting for him. Now I do agree that we have had our major success with a guy who can sit back there and sling the ball around, but at the same time we really dont have the same talent that some of those QBs had at the recieving core or even in the backfield.
He was hurt two full games and part of a third game. By the way, we won all three with Illingworth. When Sanders exited in Norman for Illingworth moved the team until we turtled up and Sanders came back in. I know there is a fascination with the Run/Pass qb, but it's not always pretty.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
They don't trust the receivers to catch the ball. Period.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
But yet they trust a receiver that’s never caught a pass and a QB that can’t throw on the most important offensive play of the game to seal the win? It’s like there is alter egos in our play calling
I'm sure he had several receivers to choose on that call, and they weren't too worried about it if it didn't pan. It was a risk for sure, but I bet it was a calculated risk.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Closer to Stillwater today than I was last year
We led late in the first half and never gave it up, so we weren't in a desperate situation. I'm guessing if they get 7 on the fumble or we don't block the FG we would have seen a little more creativity on what would have been a game winning drive. We sealed it on an unexpected pass play when everyone was expecting us to run, burn clock and let our defense close it out. I would have loved to see us step on their throat in the 2nd half but we didn't have the offensive personnel to do that. But we were never in a position to open up the playbook so we got what we got.

It's fine. KState has one guy we need to fear and we have the defense personnel to neutralize him. After that we have Baylor and although they are putting up points their wins so far are Texas State, Texas Southern, and Kansas. If they do anything against Iowa State I'll take notice but so far they get credit for doing what anyone should have done. Then we get a bye so that's 3 weeks to get people healthy. We'll be fine.
Up by 1 point, on the road, against a team where you’re the underdog and a 1 point lead isn’t desperate? That’s a comfortable lead?
I think their situation was more desperate than ours, which usually happens when you hold your opponent to fewer points than you score.

sent from Tapatalk penalized by wearing a mask

Dec 16, 2019
Tulsa
He was hurt two full games and part of a third game. By the way, we won all three with Illingworth. When Sanders exited in Norman for Illingworth moved the team until we turtled up and Sanders came back in. I know there is a fascination with the Run/Pass qb, but it's not always pretty.
Still doesn't count that as a season, but I get your point. By no means am I saying it will always be pretty, but I also don't think SI has shown that he is definitively our qb1 moving forward, flashes yes. All of this coming from an arm chair expert, me, so i will let the people who get paid the big bucks make that decision :rolleyes:

TheMonkey

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 16, 2004
DFW
Still doesn't count that as a season, but I get your point. By no means am I saying it will always be pretty, but I also don't think SI has shown that he is definitively our qb1 moving forward, flashes yes. All of this coming from an arm chair expert, me, so i will let the people who get paid the big bucks make that decision :rolleyes:
I haven’t heard/read a single report from anyone at spring training/practices say anything other than SS is the clear #1. The only ones who say otherwise are keyboard warriors with no inside info. Just their “superior observations.”

Dec 16, 2019
Tulsa
I haven’t heard/read a single report from anyone at spring training/practices say anything other than SS is the clear #1. The only ones who say otherwise are keyboard warriors with no inside info. Just their “superior observations.”
Exactly and if he was making any push towards being qb1 there would be articles debating that very thing, now dont get me wrong I love everything about SI. If he sticks around and works his butt off I can see him maybe being qb1 next year, but for sure his senior year.

Feb 15, 2017
Texas
You’d better go look at that game again. Shane moved the team on one drive- all the rest were CRAP ! ! !

cowboyinexile

Have some class
A/V Subscriber
Jun 29, 2004
Fairmont, MN
You’d better go look at that game again. Shane moved the team on one drive- all the rest were CRAP ! ! !
He gets a little more credit than he deserves. He stepped in against Tulsa last year and that was awesome. He was decent against WVU and wrecked a Kansas team that I could have thrown for 300 and a score against. But for the cards we have been dealt this year this is Sanders team. A wrecking crew of an offensive line and full health at WR it's arguable that the QB who could sit in the pocket and pick defenses apart is the better option. But right now we need a guy who is mobile and trusts his first or second reads.

Don't get me wrong. I think we will be fine when it's his time but this year isn't his time.

Nov 25, 2009
Kedah Malaysia
What is our system? Honest question. I even posted a thread that went off the rails and only one person (@CocoCincinnati) actually answered the question. Who are we? What is our system? What would you like it to be?

The one that changed Oklahoma State football, put us on the map, made us relevant, gave us a national footprint and brand? The one announcers raved over every game because you knew we were going to exploit mismatches all over the field, guys wide open every play, defenses confused for 60 minutes? Teams that were competitive in every game and even Coach Patterson couldn't come up with an answer for?

All of them the result of Gundy acknowledging and accepting we're not a blue blood with 4-5* guys all over the yard, mainly upfront, and the need to change what we do to maximize the value of a recruit like Dez that are few and far between? Teams that for 3-4 years were better than ou but we found ways to lose. Give me that over the last two Bedlams any day. Give me 63-49 in a sold out loud as it can be stadium where I watched our fans kick as much sooner ass in the stands as our team did in the loss. All of that is at best teetering. I see no downside to any fan wanting to keep all of those positives or improve on them.

My current junior at OSU has known nothing but football success for OSU in his lifetime and he's bored now. He left the Tulsa game at half to go do homework and complete some homecoming extortion hours required by the fraternity. He was bored last year. That's not good. He grew up bleeding orange and loving the drive over to Stillwater. It's a reason he was so high on them and chose to go to school there. It's a huge marketing tool and has changed Saturdays in Stillwater. I see no downside to any fan wanting to keep all of those positives or improve on them. My current HS senior isn't nearly as excited as the older one was. His high school football years have not been near as much fun. Good thing they both like basketball I guess, that's what I grew up on so maybe it will work.

Complacency is a very common word around here but it seems very apropos for the last few seasons, not just this year. Hell look at recent KSU or TCU games. Some we won, some we lost with absolute no excuses for how defunct we looked. It was lackadaisical to say the least.

Could you imagine an offense the last two years that could go out and score 40+ a game with this defense? Geez how much different would our fanbase and this board be?

I am sorry in advance if this comes off wrong, I don't mean for it to. I just don't see it any more. Haven't for a long time. That's the most frustrating part for me. Gundy changed who we were and are. He deserves all the credit. Just don't understand why he appears to have abandoned it and that's not a knock on this year. We've lost our mojo.
That exciting trend began with Weeden during the 2nd half of the Colorado game. It was not Gundy preference initially.

It gotten better when Dana came. Inherited and improvised by Todd Monken thru Weeden. Try it with Lunt, but continued with Chelf and Mason and Cornelius. It went dead with Spencer Sanders cause SS cannot read and anticipate plays nor sling the football all over the field.

This SS offense is the original Gundy Ball. It can be interesting with a dominant running game, stud receivers and most importantly a mobile QB that can read defense, good scrambler and only to run when really needed or on broken plays.

CowboyHoopsPride

Territorial Marshal
Feb 18, 2009
That exciting trend began with Weeden during the 2nd half of the Colorado game. It was not Gundy preference initially.

It gotten better when Dana came. Inherited and improvised by Todd Monken thru Weeden. Try it with Lunt, but continued with Chelf and Mason and Cornelius. It went dead with Spencer Sanders cause SS cannot read and anticipate plays nor sling the football all over the field.

This SS offense is the original Gundy Ball. It can be interesting with a dominant running game, stud receivers and most importantly a mobile QB that can read defense, good scrambler and only to run when really needed or on broken plays.
So have we completely lost our identity then? I didn't mind the ZR years either or Fedora's offenses once he got rolling. The glaring differences in style between SS and the rest of the QB's on the roster really make one scratch their head. Who are we trying to be? Does it change the type of OL you recruit? I would think so. How does one go out and hire the up and coming OC's that have proven success and then tell them we expect them to learn what we do and adapt to us. Why not pick a style of play, go find the best OC's and personnel to fit that style and stick to it?

I maintain Gundy smashed it out of the park when he saw the opportunity and need to maximize our athletes in space and minimize our inability to consistently recruit enough play makers up front to compete with the big boys.

Are we asking SS to do more than he can or are we limiting him by trying to get him to do things Weeden and Mason could do that he can't? He took over up on Corvalis and while it was a crap team we were playing, it was exciting. He's got more experience now but I don't see that spark he had then. I also don't see that same spark out of Gundy.

Appreciate the dialogue.

Nov 2, 2004
Broken Arrow
So have we completely lost our identity then? I didn't mind the ZR years either or Fedora's offenses once he got rolling. The glaring differences in style between SS and the rest of the QB's on the roster really make one scratch their head. Who are we trying to be? Does it change the type of OL you recruit? I would think so. How does one go out and hire the up and coming OC's that have proven success and then tell them we expect them to learn what we do and adapt to us. Why not pick a style of play, go find the best OC's and personnel to fit that style and stick to it?

I maintain Gundy smashed it out of the park when he saw the opportunity and need to maximize our athletes in space and minimize our inability to consistently recruit enough play makers up front to compete with the big boys.

Are we asking SS to do more than he can or are we limiting him by trying to get him to do things Weeden and Mason could do that he can't? He took over up on Corvalis and while it was a crap team we were playing, it was exciting. He's got more experience now but I don't see that spark he had then. I also don't see that same spark out of Gundy.

Appreciate the dialogue.
If a P5 qb can't or you don't trust him to throw balls over the middle then a change needs to be made...simple as that. Our offense is so easy to defend when you don't have to worry about anything between the numbers or a TE.

OSUMIKE17

Property of The Oklahoman and NewsOk.com
A/V Subscriber
Apr 11, 2009
Tulsa

There’s a lot of context missing here. The biggest being that Big12 defenses as a whole didn’t evolve until about 2018 or 2019 to really take away the passing attacks that we saw with Weeden, Rudolph, and Cornelius. Scoring has gone down across the league in the last couple of years…not just at OSU.

Holgorsen, Monken, and Yurcich for the most part all had the advantage of their evolved spread offenses, RPOs, etc that made reads extremely simple for the QBs going against defenses that, for the most part, just didn’t match up well schematically or in personnel.

And this year, specifically, Gundy is trying to make it work with several receivers injured in the two deep. SS is still producing, though. Over 12 yards per completion against Boise State with an adjusted 70% completion percentage.

jobob85

Drunkle
A/V Subscriber
Mar 11, 2009
There’s a lot of context missing here. The biggest being that Big12 defenses as a whole didn’t evolve until about 2018 or 2019 to really take away the passing attacks that we saw with Weeden, Rudolph, and Cornelius. Scoring has gone down across the league in the last couple of years…not just at OSU.

Holgorsen, Monken, and Yurcich for the most part all had the advantage of their evolved spread offenses, RPOs, etc that made reads extremely simple for the QBs going against defenses that, for the most part, just didn’t match up well schematically or in personnel.

And this year, specifically, Gundy is trying to make it work with several receivers injured in the two deep. SS is still producing, though. Over 12 yards per completion against Boise State with an adjusted 70% completion percentage.
Yeah, well I have an adjusted IQ of 200.

Cimarron

It's not dying I'm talking about, it's living.
Jun 28, 2007
I think their situation was more desperate than ours, which usually happens when you hold your opponent to fewer points than you score.

sent from Tapatalk penalized by wearing a mask
So we should keep plays in our hip pocket because they trailed by a point?

Nov 25, 2009
Kedah Malaysia

I think there is some truth that the D has catch-up to the O. Everybody seem to somewhat adopt and adapt the Matt Campbell 3 set LBs to off-set the spread and the RPO. But the quality of QBs in the league is not like what it was.

Not too sure, it is like chicken and egg stuff.

Don't know but we moved up and down the field on Matt Campbell 2016, 17 and '18 team. Scored 38, 49 and 42 points respectively?

OSUMIKE17

Property of The Oklahoman and NewsOk.com
A/V Subscriber
Apr 11, 2009
Tulsa
I think there is some truth that the D has catch-up to the O. Everybody seem to somewhat adopt and adapt the Matt Campbell 3 set LBs to off-set the spread and the RPO. But the quality of QBs in the league is not like what it was.

Not too sure, it is like chicken and egg stuff.

Don't know but we moved up and down the field on Matt Campbell 2016, 17 and '18 team. Scored 38, 49 and 42 points respectively?
See, I don’t know if the quality of the QBs is less or if QB stats from 2010-2017ish were inflated because their job was easier then than the job is now.

Probably some of both.