Kasey Dunn

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
I commented that the coaches didn’t give him a chance to turn it over, at least in the passing game. I praise him for not actually fumbling for once. He has had his chance, let’s move on. Not going to win big 12 games with this offense and a qb that can’t throw to the middle of the field.
You can’t even write three sentences without contradicting yourself. I agree on one thing. Let’s move on.
If you can’t understand that the coaches no longer trust him to throw the ball over the middle of the field then don’t know what to tell you. That is what I meant by the coaches didn’t give him a chance to turn it over as they called plays for the boundaries only and no passes up the middle and only called 7 passes all 1st half for 7 yards.

Moral to the story, the coaches don’t trust him to throw so they need to move on from him then as you can’t keep winning games like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They don't trust the receivers to catch the ball. Period.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Jan 15, 2017
Enid
They don't trust the receivers to catch the ball. Period.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
But yet they trust a receiver that’s never caught a pass and a QB that can’t throw on the most important offensive play of the game to seal the win? It’s like there is alter egos in our play calling

Cimarron

It's not dying I'm talking about, it's living.
Jun 28, 2007
I wonder if he has a minor injury. He does have a history there. It could also just be the coaching staff wants to keep those running plays in their back pocket for now.
Don't you think when you're getting beat by an un-ranked team it's a good time to pull those plays out of your back pocket?

cowboyinexile

Have some class
A/V Subscriber
Jun 29, 2004
Fairmont, MN
Don't you think when you're getting beat by an un-ranked team it's a good time to pull those plays out of your back pocket?
We led late in the first half and never gave it up, so we weren't in a desperate situation. I'm guessing if they get 7 on the fumble or we don't block the FG we would have seen a little more creativity on what would have been a game winning drive. We sealed it on an unexpected pass play when everyone was expecting us to run, burn clock and let our defense close it out. I would have loved to see us step on their throat in the 2nd half but we didn't have the offensive personnel to do that. But we were never in a position to open up the playbook so we got what we got.

It's fine. KState has one guy we need to fear and we have the defense personnel to neutralize him. After that we have Baylor and although they are putting up points their wins so far are Texas State, Texas Southern, and Kansas. If they do anything against Iowa State I'll take notice but so far they get credit for doing what anyone should have done. Then we get a bye so that's 3 weeks to get people healthy. We'll be fine.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
I'm always amazed at the excuses people come up with to defend #gundyball. Somehow we never quite seem to have the o-line, QB, or WRs to call normal football plays that teams like James Madison or Troy can run. Year after year after year, we're just too deficient to really do anything but run up the middle and throw deep passes down the sidelines. Poor Gundy is always just so limited by our players that he can barely run 4 plays.

And somehow those excuses are used as supporting arguments for the worship of our HC.

Y'all are a special kind of delusional.

Cimarron

It's not dying I'm talking about, it's living.
Jun 28, 2007
We led late in the first half and never gave it up, so we weren't in a desperate situation. I'm guessing if they get 7 on the fumble or we don't block the FG we would have seen a little more creativity on what would have been a game winning drive. We sealed it on an unexpected pass play when everyone was expecting us to run, burn clock and let our defense close it out. I would have loved to see us step on their throat in the 2nd half but we didn't have the offensive personnel to do that. But we were never in a position to open up the playbook so we got what we got.

It's fine. KState has one guy we need to fear and we have the defense personnel to neutralize him. After that we have Baylor and although they are putting up points their wins so far are Texas State, Texas Southern, and Kansas. If they do anything against Iowa State I'll take notice but so far they get credit for doing what anyone should have done. Then we get a bye so that's 3 weeks to get people healthy. We'll be fine.
Up by 1 point, on the road, against a team where you’re the underdog and a 1 point lead isn’t desperate? That’s a comfortable lead?

PokeJ

Territorial Marshal
Oct 27, 2003
McKinney, TX
Visit site
I'm always amazed at the excuses people come up with to defend #gundyball. Somehow we never quite seem to have the o-line, QB, or WRs to call normal football plays that teams like James Madison or Troy can run. Year after year after year, we're just too deficient to really do anything but run up the middle and throw deep passes down the sidelines. Poor Gundy is always just so limited by our players that he can barely run 4 plays.

And somehow those excuses are used as supporting arguments for the worship of our HC.

I think posts like this raving against the winningest coach in the history of the school are the very definition of delusional.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

TheMonkey

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 16, 2004
DFW
Up by 1 point, on the road, against a team where you’re the underdog and a 1 point lead isn’t desperate? That’s a comfortable lead?
He never said it was a comfortable lead. He was refuting your claim that we were losing to an unranked team.

stonewallpoke

Durable Brigade
A/V Subscriber
Nov 19, 2007
Al Asad Airbase, Iraq

Movie theaters don’t project this much.

On the other hand, nice hashtag. Finger on the pulse, please subscribe.

Jan 13, 2008
Corinth, TX & Graz, Austria
I find it hard to believe that our first 3 opponents have better athletes at WR than we have at the bottom of our depth chart. Throw across the middle of the field, ESPECIALLY when a team is OBVIOUSLY playing the run. But, sanders can’t throw anything besides a screen pass on a consistent basis.
He hit Owens in the hands on a crossing route. Owens dropped it. Thanks for making my point. Again.
That was a bad drop by Owens on 2nd-3.

His other 2 targets were on 3rd down and were completed for 1st downs, which led to an additional 6 minutes of OSU ball possession and rest for the defense. All 3 of his targets were in the 2nd half.
3rd-15 completed for 16 yards.
3rd-6 completed for 18 yards.

Even though he was a 3 star, there were a lot of people really high on the guy and he looked pretty good in the game. I hope he gets more opportunities.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
I think posts like this raving against the winningest coach in the history of the school are the very definition of delusional.
1. Our history is awful, and shouldn't be used as the standard by which we measure success.
2. Our history is unrelated to our play calls in 2021.
3. Believing that our personnel limit us to 4 plays on offense is ridiculous. High schools run more complex offenses than we do. Its laughable to think we are so limited due to the players' abilities.

TheMonkey

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 16, 2004
DFW
That was a bad drop by Owens on 2nd-3.

His other 2 targets were on 3rd down and were completed for 1st downs, which led to an additional 6 minutes of OSU ball possession and rest for the defense. All 3 of his targets were in the 2nd half.
3rd-15 completed for 16 yards.
3rd-6 completed for 18 yards.

Even though he was a 3 star, there were a lot of people really high on the guy and he looked pretty good in the game. I hope he gets more opportunities.
The other two completions weren’t slants across the middle. I’m not saying these young receivers aren’t talented. I’m saying there’s a reason Dunn didn’t have them running across the middle where they could give up an interception or get plowed like Presley did on the reverse. I liked what I saw from Owens and think we have a great stable of WRs who just need more experience and some time with Glass.

Sep 12, 2013
Broken Arrow, OK
Yes I do and I certainly would use those plays. This is Gundy's team and for years we have seen him limit the first few games to just a handful of plays. I would certainly expand the early season playbook and throw out that awful WR bubble screen. We very, very rarely execute it well enough to make any yardage on it. It's a pick 6 waiting to happen.

I love me some late season Gundyball, but these early season games aggravate me to no end.

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
I'm not going to give the coaches too much grief for this last game. When you have 4-6 receivers out with injury, it's going to limit you. HOWEVER, we DO have a bigger problem that many here are pointing at...our offense has been a bit Jekyl and Hyde through 3 different offensive coordinators now.

For an offense that's supposed to be designed to take what the defense gives them, we've been surprisingly slow to adapt at times when something obviously isn't working. Good coordinators design their system around their players. We have a system that requires the players (and coordinators) to adapt to it.

If we have 4 or 5 three and outs in the 1st half this week, we aren't going to be a happy bunch of pokes at the end. Gundy and Dunn, whichever is in control of the offense, need to design something to account for our weaknesses.

andylicious

Territorial Marshal
Nov 16, 2013
tractor

Well, he did shave his mullet. The new clean cut look will fix our recruiting, make our playbook more complicated and will give our fans a better understanding.

andylicious

Territorial Marshal
Nov 16, 2013
tractor
The other two completions weren’t slants across the middle. I’m not saying these young receivers aren’t talented. I’m saying there’s a reason Dunn didn’t have them running across the middle where they could give up an interception or get plowed like Presley did on the reverse. I liked what I saw from Owens and think we have a great stable of WRs who just need more experience and some time with Glass.
Speaking of the reverse, we haven't got three yards out of it since Tyreek ran it, it's about time to complicate that play call.