Kasey Dunn

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Cimarron

It's not dying I'm talking about, it's living.
Jun 28, 2007
In 2011 Iowa State was averaging 22.7 ppg. We gave up 37. Even if you only count the scores at the end of regulation, we still gave up more than their average. But you have to count the total score because that is what puts a mark in the L column.
They were passing for 212 ypg. We gave up 376.
They were rushing for 174 ypg. We gave up 192.
568 yards total offense, their average was 386.5.
They picked up 33 first downs, their average was 21.
TOP 35:13 to our 24:47.

All this to the #90 offense in the land. They played keep away from us and we couldn't stop them. There is no freaking way on earth you can call that defensive performance "good".

Think about what you're defending... you're defending a loss. You're pissing and moaning about wins. What the freak are your priorities?
ISU that season averaged 20.1 points per game during regulation (i.e. that does not include overtime which skews the points scored). The game against OSU ISU scored 24 points during regulation.

I never said it was "good", I said it was one of our better defensive performances during regulation that season.

But, I'm out!

jobob85

Drunkle
A/V Subscriber
Mar 11, 2009
ISU that season averaged 20.1 points per game during regulation (i.e. that does not include overtime which skews the points scored). The game against OSU ISU scored 24 points during regulation.

I never said it was "good", I said it was one of our better defensive performances during regulation that season.

But, I'm out!
So, if @RxCowboy responds to your post, does he get the last word?

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
I could actually care less how we win games, offense/defense, it's all good to me. My only addendum is that we, OSU, tend to get better coverage when we are winning with O. Leading the country in 3rd down stops is not interesting to people...leading the country in 30+ yard pass plays is interesting and some of those might make top 10 plays on ESPN. And that's good for recruiting.

Nov 25, 2009
Kedah Malaysia
I can't remember what year, maybe 2005, Arky State and FIU played 3OT that end 3-0. Can't remember who won that pillowfight. But if you hold the other team to zero they can't win and you only need to score once to win.

OTOH, in 2011 we lost a shoot out in Ames because our defense couldn't stop a junior high team. We lost to a mediocre Iowa State with the best offense we have had since 1988. It cost us a chance at a national championship. And, oh, btw, in 1988 if we had a defense even in the top 50 we would have gone undefeated.

But I know I am not going to change your mind or end the sophistry. Whine on McDuff!

sent from Tapatalk penalized by wearing a mask
Main contributor was the fumble by Joseph Randle.

A good FG that was ruled no good was a contributor too.

ISU good LB plays also one of the main reasons.

Combination of thing on that one surreal evening.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Closer to Stillwater today than I was last year
Main contributor was the fumble by Joseph Randle.

A good FG that was ruled no good was a contributor too.

ISU good LB plays also one of the main reasons.

Combination of thing on that one surreal evening.
Typical OSU fan, we make a bad offense look good and it's somehow all the offense's fault we lost. OSU fans somehow can only consider one side of the ball. We were 107th in total defense in 2011. If we had been even in the top 75 we would have been in the BCS championship game. Our defense sucked. We couldn't stop a junior high team, and especially true that night. Not being able to keep the #60 offense in the nation from scoring is shameful.

jobob85

Drunkle
A/V Subscriber
Mar 11, 2009
I could actually care less how we win games, offense/defense, it's all good to me. My only addendum is that we, OSU, tend to get better coverage when we are winning with O. Leading the country in 3rd down stops is not interesting to people...leading the country in 30+ yard pass plays is interesting and some of those might make top 10 plays on ESPN. And that's good for recruiting.
Well, it might be Warren and the running game that becomes the interesting part of the offense and makes the espn top 10

kaboy42

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2007
Typical OSU fan, we make a bad offense look good and it's somehow all the offense's fault we lost. OSU fans somehow can only consider one side of the ball. We were 107th in total defense in 2011. If we had been even in the top 75 we would have been in the BCS championship game. Our defense sucked. We couldn't stop a junior high team, and especially true that night. Not being able to keep the #60 offense in the nation from scoring is shameful.
I think you're making it sound worse than they actually were. It was a "service-able" bend and not break defense, that was VERY opportunistic on takeaways (turnovers).

They made a RGIII led Baylor team look completely laughable. Drive the field... and just completely crapcan stuff them inside the 10. PLUS two INT's off RGIII. He got his yards, but our defense (at least that day) made the game laughable. If I remember correctly, the oU game that year was quite similar.

The defense had a terrible ranking that year because they gave up yards and scores. They were also on the field A LOT... as our offense was a freaking unstoppable juggernaut. Maybe I'm thinking of the wrong year, but I thought that was one of our best defensive takeaway years, lots of strips for fumbles and lots of INT's.

OSUMIKE17

Property of The Oklahoman and NewsOk.com
A/V Subscriber
Apr 11, 2009
Tulsa
Total Defense is a junk stat. All it tells you is the amount of yards the opponent got without any context. We scored fast and we scored often. When that happens, the other team is going to pick up a lot of overall yards, mostly in garbage time when the game is well out of reach.

OSU ranked 9th in the nation in Defensive Efficiency that season.

Nov 25, 2009
Kedah Malaysia
That Defense shut the 0U offense to just 10 points.

44 - 10 !

yeah !

Typical oSu fans will always remember that.

That D is #1 at getting turnovers.

Sep 23, 2010
In 2011, our offense felt like an elite tennis player holding serve. We were going to score a touchdown every time it felt like. Our defense only had to get to two or three "break of serves" of the other team for it to become a blowout. So we were very risk adverse at trying to turn people over that year.

The Baylor game was like 3-4 turnovers early so it was a beatdown from the outset.

I appreciate that our games now get over much quicker than before. I can get to bed at a decent time.

RxCowboy

A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
I think you're making it sound worse than they actually were. It was a "service-able" bend and not break defense, that was VERY opportunistic on takeaways (turnovers).

They made a RGIII led Baylor team look completely laughable. Drive the field... and just completely crapcan stuff them inside the 10. PLUS two INT's off RGIII. He got his yards, but our defense (at least that day) made the game laughable. If I remember correctly, the oU game that year was quite similar.

The defense had a terrible ranking that year because they gave up yards and scores. They were also on the field A LOT... as our offense was a freaking unstoppable juggernaut. Maybe I'm thinking of the wrong year, but I thought that was one of our best defensive takeaway years, lots of strips for fumbles and lots of INT's.
The 107th defense in the nation is bad, not serviceable. We were fortunate that year to have an offense that could make up for our defensive short comings. This year it appears we have a defense that can make up for our offensive short comings. But rather than be happy with our defense, people want to bitch about our offense.

MEGA DERP!

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
Lead the league in fumble recoveries and interceptions and people would take notice.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

RxCowboy

A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
That Defense shut the 0U offense to just 10 points.

44 - 10 !

yeah !

Typical oSu fans will always remember that.

That D is #1 at getting turnovers.
And we won. You are making my point for me about defense. It is easier to outscore the opponent if you keep them from scoring. Under Gundy we are undefeated when holding opponents to 20 or less. In this case, a ranked opponent.

OSUMIKE17

Property of The Oklahoman and NewsOk.com
A/V Subscriber
Apr 11, 2009
Tulsa
The 107th defense in the nation is bad, not serviceable. We were fortunate that year to have an offense that could make up for our defensive short comings. This year it appears we have a defense that can make up for our offensive short comings. But rather than be happy with our defense, people want to bitch about our offense.

MEGA DERP!

I agree with the overall point but you’re using the wrong year to make it. Go with 2018 where the defensive efficiency ranking was 79th in the nation.

The 2011 defense was one of the best in the nation.

kaboy42

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2007
In a real sense defense held OU to 3. They scored a garbage TD in the last minute after our DC had left the booth to join the celebration.
EXACT same thing for the Baylor game that year. It was 49 - 3 at the end of the 3rd quarter. The defense was probably at 50% starters for the entire 4th quarter in which Baylor scored 21 more points. The game was over before halftime.

AND the Kansas game.

People like to poopoo that year's defense because of stats, but there were quite a few games that year where starters did not play the full game.

Nov 25, 2009
Kedah Malaysia
EXACT same thing for the Baylor game that year. It was 49 - 3 at the end of the 3rd quarter. The defense was probably at 50% starters for the entire 4th quarter in which Baylor scored 21 more points. The game was over before halftime.

AND the Kansas game.

People like to poopoo that year's defense because of stats, but there were quite a few games that year where starters did not play the full game.
When our Offense scored a lot and fast, our D had to endure 70 to 80 downs of sleeves of playbooks thrown at them.

They were on the field a lot and fatigue too its part.