Kasey Dunn

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

CowboyHoopsPride

Territorial Marshal
Feb 18, 2009
I can't remember what year, maybe 2005, Arky State and FIU played 3OT that end 3-0. Can't remember who won that pillowfight. But if you hold the other team to zero they can't win and you only need to score once to win.

OTOH, in 2011 we lost a shoot out in Ames because our defense couldn't stop a junior high team. We lost to a mediocre Iowa State with the best offense we have had since 1988. It cost us a chance at a national championship. And, oh, btw, in 1988 if we had a defense even in the top 50 we would have gone undefeated.

But I know I am not going to change your mind or end the sophistry. Whine on McDuff!

sent from Tapatalk penalized by wearing a mask
Why can't we have both?:D

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Closer to Stillwater today than I was last year
I can't remember what year, maybe 2005, Arky State and FIU played 3OT that end 3-0. Can't remember who won that pillowfight. But if you hold the other team to zero they can't win and you only need to score once to win.

OTOH, in 2011 we lost a shoot out in Ames because our defense couldn't stop a junior high team. We lost to a mediocre Iowa State with the best offense we have had since 1988. It cost us a chance at a national championship. And, oh, btw, in 1988 if we had a defense even in the top 50 we would have gone undefeated.

But I know I am not going to change your mind or end the sophistry. Whine on McDuff!

Why can't we have both?:D
Both would be ideal, wouldn't it.

Dec 9, 2013

I do think Gundy can be stubborn at times and it’s going to take time for our fan base to realize we can win games scoring 21 points.

I have 0 problems w the way the second half went. The only way they beat us is by a fluke and by us gifting them.

I rewatched the 2nd half twice. We were still as aggressive as we needed to be given the circumstances. We were down to 2 RBs. We were still calling a fairly open game plan. 1st series we were driving and get a post play 15 yd penalty. Another drive if sanders puts the ball where he should to Green on the seam route it’s 6. Richardson drops a big gain screen. We complete a pass to Martin but get called for OPI which it was but the refs completely wiffed on the late hit OOBs. Another series we pick up a first w Sanders but it gets called back for holding. We missed 2 FGs. I’m not one to bag on kids but our coaches put us w play calling in a position to score at least 10-20 second half points.

We’re we safer. Sure. But they weren’t going to beat this D w their QBs unless we gifted them field position.

We’ve just got to realize we have a veteran and pretty good D. Don’t make mistakes and we can win every game we play. Will that happen? Maybe not but w this D and some playmakers on O we have a chance.

In 2011 we had that same chance bc of our O but it was fun bc we scored 50 a game. We had to.

RxCowboy

A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004

First I'm not whining. I simply pointed out when you're on the road against a good team with a 1 point lead is no time to be sitting on plays (saving for later in the season) that could potentially secure the win. You seem to be disagreeing with that?

And "McDuff' really?
Did we win? Seems to me that if the answer is yes then we did the right thing. And, yeah, the incessant complaining is whining. We're 4-0 and you can't find a reason to be happy with it.

PokeJ

Territorial Marshal
Oct 27, 2003
McKinney, TX
Visit site
Did anyone read the article in the TW this morning where Gundy talks about the decision a few years ago to take four scholarships away from the offense each year and dedicate them to the defensive side of the ball? He also talked about ball control and limiting the number of offensive snaps the opposing team gets in a game Explains a lot of why we are playing the ay we have the last couple of years. I can get on board with this strategy as long as we continue to consistently win

My biggest concern with this present day strategy is special teams. They are even more critical in a short games. Missed FGs and extra points are back breakers in a low scoring game. Your punt team has to win the field position battle and heaven forbid if you give up a kick off return like Saturday.

I just thought these were interesting topics that the article brought up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cimarron

It's not dying I'm talking about, it's living.
Jun 28, 2007
Did we win? Seems to me that if the answer is yes then we did the right thing. And, yeah, the incessant complaining is whining. We're 4-0 and you can't find a reason to be happy with it.

Have a nice day.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked

On the flip side, we had a chance to play for the NC in 2011......so it seems nonsensical to use that season as your supporting evidence for why that style of play doesn't work or should be avoided. We haven't been remotely close in any other recent season. Yet we went away from that style. Why? Please provide evidence that our new style of play is better.

TheMonkey

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 16, 2004
DFW
For the sake of all that is holy… can we please move on?

Dunn called a gem last week. Let’s hope he does it against Baylor Saturday. We’re ratcheting up the competition.

Cimarron

Jun 28, 2007
A shoot out? It was 24-24 at the end of regulation. It was the fewest points the OSU offense scored during regulation that season.

It was actually one of our better defensive efforts of the season, ISU scored 24 points in regulation. Our fourth best outing that season.

Texas Tech 6 points
Oklahoma 10 points
Arizona 14 points
Iowa State 24 points
Missouri 24 points
Baylor 24 points
Texas 26 points
Kansas 28 points
Tulsa 33 points
Texas A&M 33 points
Louisiana 34 points
Stanford 38 points
Kansas State 45 points

andylicious

Territorial Marshal
Nov 16, 2013
tractor
Did anyone read the article in the TW this morning where Gundy talks about the decision a few years ago to take four scholarships away from the offense each year and dedicate them to the defensive side of the ball? He also talked about ball control and limiting the number of offensive snaps the opposing team gets in a game Explains a lot of why we are playing the ay we have the last couple of years. I can get on board with this strategy as long as we continue to consistently win

My biggest concern with this present day strategy is special teams. They are even more critical in a short games. Missed FGs and extra points are back breakers in a low scoring game. Your punt team has to win the field position battle and heaven forbid if you give up a kick off return like Saturday.

Defense can win games, but you still have to score and sometimes the best defense is an overwhelming offense. Your points on the kicking game are dead spot on, if Bailey is kicking that field goal at Iowa State we win.

I was glad to see Saturday's game it did give a look into more aggressive offense. They need to keep dropping the hammer.

Dec 9, 2013
Defense can win games, but you still have to score and sometimes the best defense is an overwhelming offense. Your points on the kicking game are dead spot on, if Bailey is kicking that field goal at Iowa State we win.

I was glad to see Saturday's game it did give a look into more aggressive offense. They need to keep dropping the hammer.
I will never be convinced that that FG was anything other than good.

Also, Dez caught it.

RxCowboy

A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
A shoot out? It was 24-24 at the end of regulation. It was the fewest points the OSU offense scored during regulation that season.

It was actually one of our better defensive efforts of the season, ISU scored 24 points in regulation. Our fourth best outing that season.

Texas Tech 6 points
Oklahoma 10 points
Arizona 14 points
Iowa State 24 points
Missouri 24 points
Baylor 24 points
Texas 26 points
Kansas 28 points
Tulsa 33 points
Texas A&M 33 points
Louisiana 34 points
Stanford 38 points
Kansas State 45 points
One of our better defensive efforts... lol! So good that we won, right?

Man, that was a brilliant piece of sophistry.

RxCowboy

A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004

That's a tautology. It would be just as accurate to say offense can win games but sometimes you need defense to keep the other team from scoring.

Under Gundy, we've lost shoot outs, we have yet to lose a game where we hold the opponent to 20 or less.

Cimarron

Jun 28, 2007
One of our better defensive efforts... lol! So good that we won, right?

Man, that was a brilliant piece of sophistry.

The score says it was one of our better defensive efforts OSU had that year, during regulation. It was the offense that under performed, given their typical game that year, in regards to scoring.

How is this deceiving?

Texas Tech 6 points
Oklahoma 10 points
Arizona 14 points
Iowa State 24 points
Missouri 24 points
Baylor 24 points

Texas 26 points
Kansas 28 points
Tulsa 33 points
Texas A&M 33 points
Louisiana 34 points
Stanford 38 points
Kansas State 45 points

If this game was a shoot out, is the average game a shoot out? In 2012, the average score per team was 29.5 points.

RxCowboy

A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
The score says it was one of our better defensive efforts OSU had that year, during regulation. It was the offense that under performed, given their typical game that year, in regards to scoring.

How is this deceiving?

Texas Tech 6 points
Oklahoma 10 points
Arizona 14 points
Iowa State 24 points
Missouri 24 points
Baylor 24 points

Texas 26 points
Kansas 28 points
Tulsa 33 points
Texas A&M 33 points
Louisiana 34 points
Stanford 38 points
Kansas State 45 points

If this game was a shoot out, is the average game a shoot out? In 2012, the average score per team was 29.5 points.
In 2011 Iowa State was averaging 22.7 ppg. We gave up 37. Even if you only count the scores at the end of regulation, we still gave up more than their average. But you have to count the total score because that is what puts a mark in the L column.
They were passing for 212 ypg. We gave up 376.
They were rushing for 174 ypg. We gave up 192.
568 yards total offense, their average was 386.5.
They picked up 33 first downs, their average was 21.
TOP 35:13 to our 24:47.

All this to the #90 offense in the land. They played keep away from us and we couldn't stop them. There is no freaking way on earth you can call that defensive performance "good".

Think about what you're defending... you're defending a loss. You're pissing and moaning about wins. What the freak are your priorities?

Nov 6, 2010
In 2011 Iowa State was averaging 22.7 ppg. We gave up 37. Even if you only count the scores at the end of regulation, we still gave up more than their average. But you have to count the total score because that is what puts a mark in the L column.
They were passing for 212 ypg. We gave up 376.
They were rushing for 174 ypg. We gave up 192.
568 yards total offense, their average was 386.5.
They picked up 33 first downs, their average was 21.
TOP 35:13 to our 24:47.

All this to the #90 offense in the land. They played keep away from us and we couldn't stop them. There is no freaking way on earth you can call that defensive performance "good".

Think about what you're defending... you're defending a loss. You're pissing and moaning about wins. What the freak are your priorities?
I actually think there is some truth to both sides of this argument and the numbers don't tell the whole story. With that offense in 2011, if we held any team to 24 points in regulation, it usually meant we had won by at least 2 touchdowns. So I think it's fair to say the defense did well enough to win under normal circumstances. And if I remember that game, we jumped out to a pretty comfortable lead and then just kind of started coasting on offense. Then they started to make a few plays and got momentum, and you know how momentum goes, once you lose it, it's pretty hard to get it back. We let them hang around until late in the game, and let the crowd get into it and it cost us a natty. Then add in a missed field goal that he makes 9 out of 10 times and you can say special teams cost us the game. I tend to lean more towards agreeing with Cim on this one, yikes!

OSUMIKE17

Property of The Oklahoman and NewsOk.com
A/V Subscriber
Apr 11, 2009
Tulsa
I actually think there is some truth to both sides of this argument and the numbers don't tell the whole story. With that offense in 2011, if we held any team to 24 points in regulation, it usually meant we had won by at least 2 touchdowns. So I think it's fair to say the defense did well enough to win under normal circumstances. And if I remember that game, we jumped out to a pretty comfortable lead and then just kind of started coasting on offense. Then they started to make a few plays and got momentum, and you know how momentum goes, once you lose it, it's pretty hard to get it back. We let them hang around until late in the game, and let the crowd get into it and it cost us a natty. Then add in a missed field goal that he makes 9 out of 10 times and you can say special teams cost us the game. I tend to lean more towards agreeing with Cim on this one, yikes!
Five turnovers (three INTs and two fumbles) are what cost us against ISU that year.

And in that regard, those hurt us both offensively and defensively.

Jan 21, 2006
Boulder
Not to mention the lowest Squinky ever sunk with the Budke/Serna tragedy the day before. It was also a short week and the plane returning from Lubbock the previous Saturday was delayed many hours. The Fates just don't favor OSU very often. That entire week was a mess.