K-State football protest

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Jun 16, 2020
Atlanta
So a full ride scholarship, room and board, in addition to getting paid every semester is not good compensation to you?
Its not fair market value at big time college football programs. Its exactly why the NCAA is in a state of panic about the season. If it is not played the whole system is in limbo.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
I don't get paid in relation to the "real money" that I bring in to my Fortune 500 employer. I doubt anyone except an small Biz owner does. Get over it.
I don't even believe the stipends are over minimum wage at 40 hours a week.

I also don't think Dak Prescott makes anywhere near what Jerry Jones does annually; but I am confident anyone in this thread would live comfortably (even if we had to take the franchise tag)
Solution. Pay every football player $100k per year. Then they can pay their own tuition, books, meals, training fees, tutors, etc..

Oh wait, then they would need to borrow.

Never mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oct 30, 2007
Most times the cost of all these things combined is less than 40k combined. One could make that at a regular job with less hours.
https://adminfinance.okstate.edu/site-files/documents/financial-statements/2019-osu-ncaa-19-aup.pdf

That isn't true. The average value of a Power 5 football scholarship is over $100K. Oklahoma State's football program paid $2.57 million in student aid in the last fiscal year. That comes out to more than $30K per student athlete. So the average 5-year player at OSU will be provided with about $150K in student aid.

Student athletes are capped at 20 hours per week in their sport. If you extrapolate the data, our football players are actually paid over $30 per hour for their services. It's probably closer to $40-$50 per hour when you consider the additional benefits they're given beyond basic education.

Full scholarship athletes are getting a better deal than most people realize.

Jun 16, 2020
Atlanta
https://adminfinance.okstate.edu/site-files/documents/financial-statements/2019-osu-ncaa-19-aup.pdf

That isn't true. The average value of a Power 5 football scholarship is over $100K. Oklahoma State's football program paid $2.57 million in student aid in the last fiscal year. That comes out to more than $30K per student athlete. So the average 5-year player at OSU will be provided with about $150K in student aid.

Student athletes are capped at 20 hours per week in their sport. If you extrapolate the data, our football players are actually paid over $30 per hour for their services. It's probably closer to $40-$50 per hour when you consider the additional benefits they're given beyond basic education.

I was talking about annually. If you think football players only spend 20 hours per week working on football related items you may want to ask some student athletes. Study hall, travel, training table, weightlifting, rehab, “voluntary” sessions administrative tasks are some of the things that do not count towards the 20 hour rule. watching film with teammates or 7 on 7 in the summer that coaches told you that you needed are great examples.

Mar 11, 2006
Seems like you are advocating to pay the football players but that women athletes get nothing since those sports operate at a loss.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO

I was talking about annually. If you think football players only spend 20 hours per week working on football related items you may want to ask some student athletes. Study hall, travel, training table, weightlifting, rehab, “voluntary” sessions administrative tasks are some of the things that do not count towards the 20 hour rule. watching film with teammates or 7 on 7 in the summer that coaches told you that you needed are great examples.
Let me help you with real math.

While we may enjoy college athletics, they were created for the benefit of the students that wish to participate. Thus, the total expenditure of providing that opportunity for the student to participate is, in the end, for the benefit of the participants.

Let’s assume the following:
- total annual football expenditures $25mm
- total annual cost ( room, tuition, books) of a full scholarship $30k
- full scholarship athletes 85
- walk-on athletes 20
- total annual football expenditures less annual cost of full scholarships $22.450mm

Value of full scholarship ($22.450mm/105 + $30k) $244k/yr
Value of walk-on participation ($22.450/105) $214k/yr

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feb 5, 2007
Tulsa, OK

If scholarship athletes don’t think they get paid, then I welcome any of them to pay off my student loans. Oh and I also worked 6 days a week while I was in college too.

Oct 30, 2007
There's no doubt that they put in more than 20 hours per week during the football season, but they put in fewer hours during times when they just have to show up for "voluntary" workouts. So it evens out. They're compensated a lot more through their scholarship than they would be through a regular job at 18-22 years old, and we haven't even mentioned the benefits they'll receive from their degree after they leave school. Statistics show that individuals with a bachelor degree make about $2.7 million more over their lifetime than a high school graduate. That statistic is really important, because 98% of college athletes never play professionally.

I wouldn't mind seeing cost of living stipends increased so that our student athletes have more money to live a normal college life, but I don't want to see football & men's basketball become semi-professional sports. Collegiate sports will be ruined forever if that happens.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
As with any contract, a letter of commitment is signed knowing full well what the responsibilities and expectations are and what benefits are going to be received. It's not like they don't understand they are signing up to play football and they aren't going to get paid millions of dollars for it until they're in the NFL if they make it that far.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
Would you support all incoming players take a two week cram course of Andy Urich and Greg Mosier's Contract Law so there's no ambiguity toward contracts. It would also count toward their degrees?
You don't need that. You are signing a letter that commits you to play your sport and show up to classes. In return they give you room, board, clothing, access to trainers, doctors, strength coach, etc... Oh, and they pay for your college education for as long as you are a student. It is pretty straight forward. If you don't think they understand that when they sign, then I think you are underestimating their intelligence.

Jun 16, 2020
Atlanta
You don't need that. You are signing a letter that commits you to play your sport and show up to classes. In return they give you room, board, clothing, access to trainers, doctors, strength coach, etc... Oh, and they pay for your college education for as long as you are a student. It is pretty straight forward. If you don't think they understand that when they sign, then I think you are underestimating their intelligence.

it still should be reviewed and negotiated by an attorney which is currently not happening. I don’t sign any binding or non binding legal document for my business without sending it counsel for negotiation. I could say
Gundy makes 5 million a year to coach football pretty straightforward why do you need an agent.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
So a full ride scholarship, room and board, in addition to getting paid every semester is not good compensation to you?
I think a college degree has great value. Yet, I think most major colleges steer their student athletes toward degrees that are easier to maintain the eligibility of the student athlete than necessarily serve the student. The Ryan Broyles and Myron Rolles are few and far between. I also think the incremental cost of student athlete tuition is misleading as it is quite intangible. I feel generally the premier student athlete helps the university more than the university helps the athlete.

This can be evidenced by students picking a school more often than an athletic program picking its athletes.

I would have loved to have a D1 scholarship offer, but I think a lot of us romanticize what it actually entails, once you have seen how the sausage is made.
Actually, unless they are breaking the rules, I don't think they can give you advice on what major to take. I know that advisors and counselors can't say things like, "that degree will not pay much once you graduate", etc... Their hands are tied because that might hurt the kids feelings, or stifle their dreams or something. It's pretty stupid if you ask me. It's why there are a bunch of degrees now that have no viable jobs upon graduating but have tons of students with degrees.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
Most times the cost of all these things combined is less than 40k combined. One could make that at a regular job with less hours.
Access to doctors, trainers, nutrition experts, clothing... How would you rate that money wise?
That's taking out room, board and tuition.
My kid is on Oklahoma's promise. He is allotted ~$20k/year to cover tuition, fees, books and housing. All of it gets used before you even as in did. For a 4 year degree that's nearly $80k without food, or having to see a doctor. That doesn't include all the extras the athletes receive over that.
Also, we are below the national average in tuition cost per year at 4 year colleges by about $2k when I looked it up on a bunch of different websites.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011

it still should be reviewed and negotiated by an attorney which is currently not happening. I don’t sign any binding or non binding legal document for my business without sending it counsel for negotiation. I could say
Gundy makes 5 million a year to coach football pretty straightforward why do you need an agent.
If the kids and their families want a lawyer to review it they can. It's their choice, but I guarantee you it's not as complicated as a job contract.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011

Besides, Gundy's contract is a lot more nuanced than that when you include performance, bonuses, penalties requirements of his position as head coach, etc... It's not as straight forward as signing up to be a student athlete.

Jun 15, 2020
Tulsa
No one forced these players to play football at OSU. They can always take their game to the NFL after their junior year. Good luck....OSU should asked for a cut of their NFL salary for helping them!!
These athletes are getting out of control, and by the way so are the coaches salaries..

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
And far lower risk of death or permanent injury, like the 8 inch scar on my left knee from my one year of small college football that hurts whenever I walk up stairs and when I get up in the morning.