Jim Knowles to ohio state official

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Jun 13, 2010
Chicago
Part of what makes this defense so good is Knowles' play calling. We don't recruit elite defenders, but Knowles has put them in the best position possible.

I really hope we can pay Knowles at least $1.5 million. $1.2 million as reported will NOT be enough.

If Knowles can make that kind of money, with bonuses and escalators, in a cushy situation set-up for long-term success - that's competitive with going to a meat grinder like Texas, LSU or Florida where everyone gets fired every 3-4 years.

I feel like the stability of Gundy's program counterbalances the "allure" of a blue blood program.

Jul 9, 2011
Carlos, TX
I changed my signature back to "Knowles knows defense". I used this early in his tenure as I saw signs he might be a really good DC. I put a question mark at the end after a couple of games when things didn't go as well, then dropped it altogether. But now it's back with an exclamation point. That pretty much sums up my thoughts - after some early growing pains he has proven to be excellent, doing more with less initial talent, possibly the best in the NCAA. He and his staff are also drawing in bretter recruits on that side of the ball. He's earned a pay day, hope we can keep him.

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2005
Part of what makes this defense so good is Knowles' play calling. We don't recruit elite defenders, but Knowles has put them in the best position possible.
….
I feel like the stability of Gundy's program counterbalances the "allure" of a blue blood program.
Your point, and also this. Knowles has a head coach who is willing and secure enough to let him take the spotlight and a big share of the credit. A lot of head coaches would be green with rage by now.

Nov 18, 2010
If we get into the CFP with 1 loss, you could argue that the path at OSU is the same as the path at any blue blood. I wouldn't have said this before this year, but if we beat Baylor and get the invite, then OSU's "decal" is on the same level as Michigan/Florida/Oregon/Notre Dame.

So unless you're offered a head coaching job at a prestigious school,or head coaching money to be DC, I'm not sure it makes sense to go somewhere else as a DC and start over.

Monday presser made it sound like they might be close to keeping DC Knowles for at least one more year. Though there are a lot of HC openings out there still.

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
Sammamish, Washington.Dallas, Texas.Maui, Hawaii
If we get into the CFP with 1 loss, you could argue that the path at OSU is the same as the path at any blue blood. I wouldn't have said this before this year, but if we beat Baylor and get the invite, then OSU's "decal" is on the same level as Michigan/Florida/Oregon/Notre Dame.

So unless you're offered a head coaching job at a prestigious school,or head coaching money to be DC, I'm not sure it makes sense to go somewhere else as a DC and start over.

Monday presser made it sound like they might be close to keeping DC Knowles for at least one more year. Though there are a lot of HC openings out there still.
That’s because the decal on our helmets last game were BLUEBLOOD!

Aug 14, 2005

I wonder if Knowles even wants to be a head coach. There are a huge number of headaches that go with that, some of which he doesn’t have now. It also probably means less direct relationships with players, and he seems to feed off that.

Nov 27, 2007
Tulsa
I agree with most of your sentiment.

However, I’ll challenge you on this point. We were fortuitous that Clemson and Oregon dropped a couple in conference.

If Clemson or Oregon was only a 1 loss champ, they’d likely push us out. Or if ND played in the ACC CCG like last year, that might be enough to give us the bump.

Nov 18, 2010
Good points, Chunks, llcoolw.

I may be jumping the gun in predicting our decal is on the same level as Oregon/Michigan. Even with a CFP birth. The usual 6-8 bluebloods are all a little down this year. (And we beat one head to head). This season has been the perfect storm.

But, it seems possible that if we get into the CFP this year AND win a game, then I do think we'll be looked at differently. Oregon wasn't a traditional powerhouse, but they got that Nike money, then won a CFP game and now they get a free loss. Clemson was similar to OSU, before they shocked the world and won it all (beating Bama). Now they get 5 star recruits and get a free loss. So it would seem there's a path to receive a temporary blueblood card, which comes with a free loss and potentially more 4/5 star recruits.

All you have to do, is get in during a perfect storm year, then win it all. Piece of cake.

OkstateKerr

Territorial Marshal
Jan 13, 2005

I may be jumping the gun in predicting our decal is on the same level as Oregon/Michigan. Even with a CFP birth. The usual 6-8 bluebloods are all a little down this year. (And we beat one head to head). This season has been the perfect storm.

But, it seems possible that if we get into the CFP this year AND win a game, then I do think we'll be looked at differently. Oregon wasn't a traditional powerhouse, but they got that Nike money, then won a CFP game and now they get a free loss. Clemson was similar to OSU, before they shocked the world and won it all (beating Bama). Now they get 5 star recruits and get a free loss. So it would seem there's a path to receive a temporary blueblood card, which comes with a free loss and potentially more 4/5 star recruits.

All you have to do, is get in during a perfect storm year, then win it all. Piece of cake.
We may not be on the same level, but the gap is closing. 15 years ago, if we had struggled like we did in the nonconference and dropped a game in the middle of the season we would probably be somewhere around 10 or 11 with zero chance. We are basicially where Oregon was in the early 2000's.

Aug 19, 2006

We're on the cusp of our "Clemson moment". Before Dabo, our programs were on relatively equal footing. He successfully elevated them to elite status, perennially in the CFP conversation (this year not withstanding)

Time will tell if can capitalize on this opportunity or if it's just a blip in our trajectory and we settle back into second tier status.

Hoping the stars have aligned and we're entering a new era where OSU's football program becomes the elite brand Boone always dreamed of!

OkstateKerr

Territorial Marshal
Jan 13, 2005
We're on the cusp of our "Clemson moment". Before Dabo, our programs were on relatively equal footing. He successfully elevated them to elite status, perennially in the CFP conversation (this year not withstanding)

Time will tell if can capitalize on this opportunity or if it's just a blip in our trajectory and we settle back into second tier status.

Hoping the stars have aligned and we're entering a new era where OSU's football program becomes the elite brand Boone always dreamed of!
I mean we are set up with good incoming recruiting classes and look to be at the top of the new Big 12. It very well could be.

Nov 6, 2010
I mean we are set up with good incoming recruiting classes and look to be at the top of the new Big 12. It very well could be.
I honestly think the best thing for our brand is ou leaving. Yea, the conference may not be viewed on the same level anymore, but getting out from under that shadow will do wonders for us charting our own course. Also the Gundy factor. I've lived out of Oklahoma for most of my adult life, and anyone that knows anything about CFB, knows Gundy, and thus OSU. We are in a prime position to capitalize this time around where maybe last time (2011) we weren't.

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
I honestly think the best thing for our brand is ou leaving. Yea, the conference may not be viewed on the same level anymore, but getting out from under that shadow will do wonders for us charting our own course. Also the Gundy factor. I've lived out of Oklahoma for most of my adult life, and anyone that knows anything about CFB, knows Gundy, and thus OSU. We are in a prime position to capitalize this time around where maybe last time (2011) we weren't.
1000000x this. Having lived outside the region for a while, people know Gundy and have already started seeing us as that step right behind blue bloods. A large part of that is Gundy, much to the chagrin of some fans I'm sure. I definitely didn't understand how people viewed us until leaving the state (but staying in football-centric places).

Weirdly, one of the things holding us back is our name because people confuse us with OU constantly. I don't know if that will change with the conference move, but it could help.

Nov 6, 2010
1000000x this. Having lived outside the region for a while, people know Gundy and have already started seeing us as that step right behind blue bloods. A large part of that is Gundy, much to the chagrin of some fans I'm sure. I definitely didn't understand how people viewed us until leaving the state (but staying in football-centric places).

Weirdly, one of the things holding us back is our name because people confuse us with OU constantly. I don't know if that will change with the conference move, but it could help.

Almost made mention of this in my previous post, because that doesn't happen nearly as much as it used to. I used to regularly cringe when someone asked me where I went to school or what team I pulled for, and when I said OSU, I braced for a "boomer sooner" reply. Again, the Gundy factor, that hasn't happened to me for a few years now. Because when I give the same answer, now the reply is usually something about Gundy, not ou.

Duke Silver

Find safe haven in a warm bathtub full of my jazz.
A/V Subscriber
Sep 17, 2004
Cozy's Bar

Gundy is slowly changing the color of our blood

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC

Almost made mention of this in my previous post, because that doesn't happen nearly as much as it used to. I used to regularly cringe when someone asked me where I went to school or what team I pulled for, and when I said OSU, I braced for a "boomer sooner" reply. Again, the Gundy factor, that hasn't happened to me for a few years now. Because when I give the same answer, now the reply is usually something about Gundy, not ou.
It's for sure better, but still happens occasionally and not as egregiously as yelling boomer sooner. They'll mix up which players went where and things like that. I also get a lot of people thinking we have more conference championships than we do.