Jim Knowles to ohio state official

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

JohnW

Wrangler
Aug 10, 2020
Plano
College football is all about eyes balls and money it can provide for the program/school. Title means little when pay scales for the same title can very from $0.8M/yr to 2M/yr. Knowles got a big time promotion to tOSU and he did it with our success. He has proven he can do more with less which is how Gundy found him. Are we going to miss him? damn right.

Im happy to see his incredible success rewarded. Now we will see if he can do more with MORE. I bet it can but its a different game and expectation system where is gong.

How much is Gundy making? I assume he is not in the top 25 of college coaches from the list unless I missed his name in my scan of that list. Gundy is a top 10 to 15 head coach in performance. -He gives us top 10 to 15 performance with less talented rosters than any school I know over a 10 or 15 tear time frame. Glad we have him and glad he can hire OC and DC's that achieve well enough to get promotions like Knowles just got

PF5

Deputy
Jan 3, 2014
In an attempt to stop crying, I did some "research" and now feel confident in proclaiming it was more about the 'dudes' than Knowles...
year ranking yds/game
21 3 273.6
20 44 379.0
19 82 412.8
18 112 452.5

year ranking yds/play
21 3 4.3
20 33 5.3
19 83 5.8
18 94 6.0

year ranking sacks/game
21 1 4.0
20 21 2.9
19 60 2.2
18 22 2.8

please don't bother to blow holes in my argument...I feel better, don't ruin it!

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
I saw the Knowles quote tweeted earlier in this thread about coaching at the "highest levels", and always looking for a challenge. Could we assume that means he'll take an NFL gig if the opportunity arises?

edmondcowboy

Federal Marshal
Sep 24, 2008
https://twitter.com/byelilederman/status/1468706266935697410?s=21
It never made sense to me that he would coach the bowl game do all the interviews after, etc. and the next day take the same position at another school. It’s a distraction. He made the choice to leave, not gundy. Gotta move on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dec 2, 2008
SC
It never made sense to me that he would coach the bowl game do all the interviews after, etc. and the next day take the same position at another school. It’s a distraction. He made the choice to leave, not gundy. Gotta move on.

It’s actually not very uncommon for coordinators to coach in bowl games if they are leaving, especially on good terms.

kenny41

Territorial Marshal
Aug 28, 2006
OKC/Tulsa
Now do championships

Team/Winning Percentage/Budget/Champions

Alabama .903 / $110.1M / 5
Clemson .829 / $63.1 M / 2
Ohio State .853 / $115.5 M / 1
LSU .745 / $95.1 M / 1
Florida State .675 / $71.1 M / 1
Auburn .639 / $97.7 M / 1

Oklahoma State .727 / $53.5 M / 0

And the rest are 0 as well.

You do also realize that several of those big budget schools have courted Gundy, right?
I was really just asking for conference championships

edmondcowboy

Federal Marshal
Sep 24, 2008
https://twitter.com/byelilederman/status/1468706266935697410?s=21

I feel like it’s usually if they are leaving for a head coaching job. 3 weeks is a long time to let the situation linger. Awkward situation.

And osu hasn’t said he isn’t

Dec 2, 2008
SC
I feel like it’s usually if they are leaving for a head coaching job. 3 weeks is a long time to let the situation linger. Awkward situation.

And osu hasn’t said he isn’t

The tweet has since been deleted. And I’m sure the defensive players would love to have him coach them in the bowl game.

Jun 4, 2014
Dallas, TX
You can’t invest what you don’t have. Until T. Boone made a huge investment we were just scraping by. I went to many games in that awful old stadium and heard Pat Jones talk about when the team didn’t have lockers until a lumber yard owner donated a flat bed of lumber and a crew to build home made ones.

If we have lots of big donors, why isn’t Shrum and the AD courting them?
I’m sure the admin is trying to court them, what I’m saying is that the people with the money don’t value putting money towards OSU athletics because it was not an integral part of the university’s ethos when they attended. So when they think about their time at OSU, football superiority isn’t at the top of the list. So convincing someone to separate from 8 digit figures is tough.

For the record, I have almost zero knowledge of the alumni footprint in Oklahoma. But I live in Dallas, and there are some big boy money alumni here.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
After thinking this over a bit I think he should leave and not coach in our bowl. In fact, I think he should be asked to do so. I don't think we should take a back seat to any other school and by allowing him to coach here after leaving for MONEY and what he THINKS is a better program...we need to send him packing. Seriously. Get your stuff and go...We offered you the moon and it wasn't enough for you...Thanks, but go.

Cimarron

It's not dying I'm talking about, it's living.
Jun 28, 2007
After thinking this over a bit I think he should leave and not coach in our bowl. In fact, I think he should be asked to do so. I don't think we should take a back seat to any other school and by allowing him to coach here after leaving for MONEY and what he THINKS is a better program...we need to send him packing. Seriously. Get your stuff and go...We offered you the moon and it wasn't enough for you...Thanks, but go.
I think it was Ohio State that offered him the moon.

Just because he's taking another job doesn't mean he doesn't like winning and doesn't love the kids he's coaching. His own desire to win will push him to beat ND in consecutive games.