Jim Knowles to ohio state official

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

CowboyHoopsPride

Territorial Marshal
Feb 18, 2009
Some of the responses clamoring for answers on Why Knowles would leave are the same reasons Gundy is so valuable to OSU. Same people are on both sides of the argument.

We’ll be fine.

Sucks right now because of the unknown but we’ll be fine.

Its business. Big business. And it’s clear some of you aren’t long for that world. He gave us as much as Holgerson or Monken. National relevancy.

Who’s the consistent? Gundy.

And that’s a big reach for me. Posts are known. But his presser last week told me a lot. He knew this was possible. His vision is bigger. And the new admin is on board regardless of how this looks.

Business is a game. Football Is a game. We’re playing at big levels. Win some/lose some. It will be ok.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
Don't think you understand how nil works. The school doesn't pay them.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
Looks like he didn't say UT was going to pay them - it says "Texas boosters say". I was reading the UT message board after their loss to us and they were openly saying they needed to rain down the NIL money on players to get the talent to win. At that time they were talking $50,000 per year.
The way he wrote it was "we" need to pony up. Usually that collective "we" is used to mean the university. That's how I read it. He clarified and says he meant "we" as in boosters and fans.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Gary Patterson and Gundy are buddies...Any way in h*ll we get him to come coach defense? IF not how about as a defensive advisor? I'm thinking this could acutally happen...we were throwing 1.3 million out there...that's NOT chump change...Not at all! Btw, Patterson would be an even better fit than Knowles was.

edmondcowboy

Federal Marshal
Sep 24, 2008
Coombs makes 1.4mil so for them to come in and offer 2 I’m guessing not one expected. So an offer of 1.3mil seems pretty reasonable. Where does 1.3mil rank nationally for an assistant. Top 15? That’s a really solid offer. There was no fumbling the bag or dropping the ball.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
Coombs makes 1.4mil so for them to come in and offer 2 I’m guessing not one expected. So an offer of 1.3mil seems pretty reasonable. Where does 1.3mil rank nationally for an assistant. Top 15? That’s a really solid offer. There was no fumbling the bag or dropping the ball.

It was hard to find data without it being behind a paywall, but that's what it looked like and not just DC, all coordinators.

jnewtont

Territorial Marshal
Oct 18, 2010
Tallahassee, FL
That's not the school paying them.

No, the schools aren't paying them.
You are correct, but he didn't say that. He said boosters.
In truth, it is actually from a non-profit and facilitated with boosters.
With enough participation it creates a situation where a team essentially has an unlimited number of scholarships.
It is an arms race.

Oct 7, 2012
Glomming thru all this message board stuff has been illuminating for me. (I’m stuck on the couch with a sprained ankle) I appreciate EVERYONE’s
passion and perspective.

I will only add that as much as I hate seeing Knowles leave, I appreciate his time here and wish him well. Thanks for making our OSU part the national conversation. (cue up Whitney Houston, I Will Always Love You) sniff

I will also add that I’ve spent a fair amount of time in Columbus, OH. It is easily on a short list of “big” cities I would love to live in for the rest of my life. I think it’s a pretty easy sell to anyone. Much like Indianapolis, IMO.

Jan 6, 2007
Jackson Hole, WY
Assuming this is true, we offered far less than Ohio State.

https://pokesreport.com/s/1981/knowles-headed-to-ohio-state---goes-to-work-for-buckeyes-jan-2
A source told Pokes Report that Ohio State offered a multi-year contract at $2-million per year. Knowles, who has been at Oklahoma State for the past four seasons coming from Duke University was making $800,000 a year. Our sources told us that Oklahoma State had an offer on the table for five-years at $1.3-million per year and a total of $6.5-million for the entire contract.
While $1.3MM w/Stillwater's low cost of living (COL) is worth a lot more than $1.3MM in almost any other large university region...........it is still not quite equivalent to $2MM in Columbus, OH.........if money was the only difference maker. (ex: $1.3MM in Stillwater, OK or Manhattan, KS might be similar to $2MM+ at USC or Stanford). Essentially, $1.3MM in Stilly....after taxes, bills, recreation, etc.....leaves same amount in your pocket as $2MM+ might in other more expensive to live regions. Summary = oSu made a darn good offer at $1.3MM!!!

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
That's not the school paying them.

No, the schools aren't paying them.
You are correct, but he didn't say that. He said boosters.
In truth, it is actually from a non-profit and facilitated with boosters.
With enough participation it creates a situation where a team essentially has an unlimited number of scholarships.
It is an arms race.
And what’s going to prevent the athletic department from contributing to the charity? Or the athletic department awarding double or triple athletic giving points if a booster makes a charitable contribution to “certain” charities? Heck, it now makes paying college athletes an above board charitable deduction for individuals as well as businesses instead of an under the table non-deductible expense. In essence, paying or contributing NIL$ has become equivalent to university giving from a tax perspective.

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2005
Professional Collegiate Football has arrived. Yes. Sobering.
I have this vision of players for teams like Texas completely stopping playing in the 4th quarter because they didn’t get enough to play a whole game. Oh wait, maybe that’s already happening.

Texas’s problem has always been that the players, coaches and fans are riddled with spoiled, entitled brats. Don’t know if that’s true for Ohio State or not.

jnewtont

Territorial Marshal
Oct 18, 2010
Tallahassee, FL
I have this vision of players for teams like Texas completely stopping playing in the 4th quarter because they didn’t get enough to play a whole game. Oh wait, maybe that’s already happening.

Texas’s problem has always been that the players, coaches and fans are riddled with spoiled, entitled brats. Don’t know if that’s true for Ohio State or not.
That is funny! :lol:

Oct 6, 2007
Piedmont, OK
I don’t think OSU is lacking for big money boosters. The problem we face is that I don’t think many boosters are sports fans or fostered a deep fandom in OSU sports. Which I would say is due to a lack of historical investment by our admin.
You can’t invest what you don’t have. Until T. Boone made a huge investment we were just scraping by. I went to many games in that awful old stadium and heard Pat Jones talk about when the team didn’t have lockers until a lumber yard owner donated a flat bed of lumber and a crew to build home made ones.

If we have lots of big donors, why isn’t Shrum and the AD courting them?