Jeremy Pruitt fired for cause . Tennessee

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
OK, they have a strong fan base in a traditionally 1-horse state that comes out during bad to meh years and a program in disarray. What is their record the past 20 years? How many championships? Top-5 finishes, top-10, Top-20? Hell, even conference championships. Blue blood is not a tattoo for life. It is earned and results are the biggest variable.
Remember when we beat Alabama in the Independence Bowl?

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
Yeah? So what? Because they had a few years of being down? First, that was pushing two decades ago and since....

Weak sauce
When we beat them their last MNC had been 1992. Did they unblue blood?

OUs last MNC was in 2000. Not a blue blood any more? Texas was 2005. Been down since.

When's the last time Notre Dame won an MNC? Michigan? USC?

Tennessee is a blue blood program. The right coach can return them to winning titles.

Aug 16, 2012
When we beat them their last MNC had been 1992. Did they unblue blood?

OUs last MNC was in 2000. Not a blue blood any more? Texas was 2005. Been down since.

When's the last time Notre Dame won an MNC? Michigan? USC?

Tennessee is a blue blood program. The right coach can return them to winning titles.
Did I say a national championship was the only requirement? never did but it is a factor in being one. Winning is a requirement and Tennessee does not win at a significant clip anymore. Yes, Alabama had down years but they have history and current success (talking about right now, not 2004 BTW). Tennessee has been a middle-of-the-road program for every year that begins with a 2. Should they start winning the SEC, start having Top-5 seasons and at least be in the discussion for championships, their history would be a leg-up in returning to the ranks. Historical body of work is one component but a 20-year drought cannot be overlooked. Is Clemson? IMO, no, despite their current success. If they keep this up, probably, but to be a blue blood, you have to check all the boxes.

Done. Have a good weekend.

Jul 9, 2011
Carlos, TX
When was OU's last national title?

It's about resources. They have them.
OU has won numerous conference titles and played in the final four for the title more than once the last few years. Tennessee has done none of that over the same period.

Resources:
They have a big stadium, but they are not filling it any more, even before COVID. Here's an article about sagging home attendance over the past few years. They were down to averaging 77,000 per game in 2018 from over 100,000 a few years ago, following a multi-season path of shrinking ticket sales:

Tennessee football: Attendance down from last season's home opener (knoxnews.com)

A shrinking fan base = shrinking resources.

I don't know how SEC divides bowl/tv money with the team getting some of what they generate, but Tennessee has been generating a lot less of both.

Wins
I don't think you realize how bad UT has been and for how long. Over the past 10 seasons they have a losing record at 60-62 with virtually all their wins versus lighter weight non conference opponents (Georgia Southern, Austin Peavy, Western Kentucky, Akron, Troy) and the weaker teams in their conference division (Vanderbilt, Kentucky).

And with what's just happened I don't see it getting better. They have SEC conference $, but that alone doesn't make them elite. Tenneesse has a great history, and I supposedly have European royal blood in the family about 14 generations back, but I am not a blue blood and at some point UT is not either. I don't know exactly when that point is reached, but at some point a football program is no longer a blue blood. Interesting question.

Last edited: