JD King to transfer

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Philranger

Territorial Marshal
Oct 6, 2010
Owasso
Ummmm! I seem to recall the two seasons before Hll arrived that we didn't have any running backs on the entire team who were anywhere near the quality of the four deep we have now. Short memory???? This could be a huge loss if we were to have the kind of injuries that uo is currently having at running back.
As stated later, Chris Carson is playing in the pros, as is Tyreek Hill who was also on the roster.

Oct 27, 2003
McKinney, TX
Visit site
I think he is a good back. I just think that Hubbard and Hill passed him by. Not everyone wants to be like Corndog and sit around waiting for his chance

Good luck to him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jul 22, 2014
I don't have a problem in general with players transferring after the season if they think its the best thing for their situation, but I think this growing trend of players announcing their transfers mid-season is pretty weak.

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
do transfers like this indicate that the program is moving in a good direction in terms of having so many good guys around that not everyone can get usage?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
And finally, someone asks an important question.

I personally would say so. There are definitely people, including myself, who are probably gnashing their teeth wanting to rip Gundy, but honestly, Hubbard has been exploding lately...King has not been...and there you go. AND, continuing my week of wild predictions (predicted beating WVU), Justice Hill is going to stay. I honestly think that. I think he has unfinished business. So we will still be *really* good at the RB spot.
Hill opting to not walk with the seniors says a bunch.

Sent from my Orange Power Koolaid glass.

Oct 7, 2015
St. Elmo, CO
It is this internet coaching professional's opinion that Justice Hill would benefit to stay another year. This is not the year to come out unless he already has some interest from the NFL.
As much hype as Hill had coming into the season, and through no fault of his own, Justice Hill's numbers and buzz just isn't high enough.

We all know how talented he is, but his numbers are high enough. Should he make himself available and not be drafted, then he's got to try the CFL or some other route to draw NFL attention. And we all know how well that's worked for others in the past.

With Hubbard and Hill in the backfield, the competition would be incredible. Could be tough for Brown to get as many touches as he has this year. Would he leave, too?

But Hill leaving for the NFL would not translate to the type of money he could make following a much better year next year.

Last edited:

Rob B.

I'm......Batman.
A/V Subscriber
Aug 13, 2007
Rockin' the GL.
They certainly can, but I also think they're indicative of the new transfer rules. We're only gonna see more & more of this.

We've arguably benefitted more from transfers than we've lost, so far.
King's transfer doesn't fall under the new transfer rules. He'll have to red shirt next season unless he goes d2.

NYC Poke

The Veil of Ignorance
A/V Subscriber
Sep 24, 2007
They certainly can, but I also think they're indicative of the new transfer rules. We're only gonna see more & more of this.

We've arguably benefitted more from transfers than we've lost, so far.
We’ve done well with grad transfers, we haven’t really exploited this one so far. We’ve lost some guys who were losing playing time to others, and will likely go to schools that do not recruit as well as us to get PT. In the next cycle we will probably get some guys from schools that recruit better than us.

It hurt personally to see McCleskey go, he was fun to watch. But we’re fine, and it’s allowed Landon Wolf to step up.

osupsycho

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Apr 20, 2005
Valhalla
King's transfer doesn't fall under the new transfer rules. He'll have to red shirt next season unless he goes d2.
Actually it does, the new rule is two part. One part is the four game thing everyone knows but the second part is that players now just have to tell the coach they are transferring and they are out. No permission needed and coaches/programs cannot stop them in any way. Thus it is a LOT easier to transfer now and the reasons behind Gundy’s snowflake comments.

Jul 9, 2004
I think he is a good back. I just think that Hubbard and Hill passed him by. Not everyone wants is willing to be like Corndog and sit around waiting for his chance

Good luck to him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
fify

Last edited:

Rob B.

I'm......Batman.
A/V Subscriber
Aug 13, 2007
Rockin' the GL.
Actually it does, the new rule is two part. One part is the four game thing everyone knows but the second part is that players now just have to tell the coach they are transferring and they are out. No permission needed and coaches/programs cannot stop them in any way. Thus it is a LOT easier to transfer now and the reasons behind Gundy’s snowflake comments.
True, what I was getting at was that King's transfer and McClesky's are not the same.

Jun 23, 2005
I see a common thread developing. Both King and McCleskey saw younger players (Hubbard and Wallace) pass them by on the depth chart and stats sheet this season. Saw the handwriting on the wall for next year.

Oct 7, 2015
St. Elmo, CO
Thanks to all of these recruits wanting to eventually get to the NFL in order to make a name for themselves and give something back to their family seems to be the most common story of high school recruits.

JD King gave his all, but with the last game going to Chuba, he could see the writing on the wall that he was not going to be the feature back.

We all get the fact that now a days the many of the kids don't really care about the free college education and the future that promises them. All they care about is being a playah somewhere, anywhere. And perhaps King wanted to be back closer to home and family. We'll soon see where he lights.
But, I'm curious as to the timing of the whole announcement.

Why couldn't he just play out the year and announce after the bowl game?
Could it be with Hill out he saw his opportunity to play, but it was all giving to Chuba and JD was PO about that?
This seems like such an emotional, quick announcement that would signal hurt feelings.

This is the third guy that has seen his play time diminished and has immediately announced his transfer.

Is this a product of snowflake liberalism and it's byproduct of instant gratification that Gundy spoke against?
I'd have to say, yes.

How many more will leave and how many guys will we pick up because of it? So far, we're down by 3.

osupsycho

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Apr 20, 2005
Valhalla
Thanks to all of these recruits wanting to eventually get to the NFL in order to make a name for themselves and give something back to their family seems to be the most common story of high school recruits.

JD King gave his all, but with the last game going to Chuba, he could see the writing on the wall that he was not going to be the feature back.

We all get the fact that now a days the many of the kids don't really care about the free college education and the future that promises them. All they care about is being a playah somewhere, anywhere. And perhaps King wanted to be back closer to home and family. We'll soon see where he lights.

Could it be with Hill out he saw his opportunity to play, but it was all giving to Chuba and JD was PO about that?
This seems like such an emotional, quick announcement that would signal hurt feelings.

This is the third guy that has seen his play time diminished and has immediately announced his transfer.

Is this a product of snowflake liberalism and it's byproduct of instant gratification that Gundy spoke against?
I'd have to say, yes.

How many more will leave and how many guys will we pick up because of it? So far, we're down by 3.
Another reason he may have done this now is that there is now a database that all transfers go on and schools can use that to recruit them from. This means teams will need to be watching their scholarship counts combined with the early signing period, they will need to decide what transfers to take earlier.

Sep 23, 2018
Memphis

I'd have to say, yes.

"snowflake liberalism"

There's that pathetic nonsense again.