Jaylen Warren extra year eligibility

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Feb 24, 2020
oklahoma
You might take another look at his game to game yardage totals. He didn't break out until the third game of the season where he had 218, his largest yardage total. He then goes on a three game stretch with 120+. He follows that with a 3 game stretch where he didn't break 100, which is followed by 113 against TCU and being limited by injury in our last game where he got only 37. So, yes, a very up and down season.
Yeah....agree to disagree...considering what he did at Utah State....I just can't call it that at all...especially since the season isn't finished and he could end up rushing for 1500 yards possibly...at the very least 1500 all purpose yards. if he does come back, he's taking a huge gamble IMO.

Feb 24, 2020
oklahoma
His NFL potential may boil down to his 40 time. He checks most of the other boxes. At his age, he needs to go now if he has any chance. The clock is ticking with every hit they take, and staying another year with 30+ carries a game plus another year older will not improve his draft stock. It certainly won't improve his 40 time.

If he has a shot at getting drafted at all, he needs to declare and give it a shot.
Agree with all of this....at the same time fans want to hoard their players as long as possible. Either way, we'll be fine if he decides to leave.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
Interesting comments.

A couple of weeks ago I listened to a show with Mel Kiper discussing kids coming out before their eligibility is exhausted. His advise in all cases and all things considered is to stay in school even if you’re projected as the first pick in the draft.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
Interesting comments.

A couple of weeks ago I listened to a show with Mel Kiper discussing kids coming out before their eligibility is exhausted. His advise in all cases and all things considered is to stay in school even if you’re projected as the first pick in the draft.

That's some idiotic advice

Aug 16, 2012
You might take another look at his game to game yardage totals. He didn't break out until the third game of the season where he had 218, his largest yardage total. He then goes on a three game stretch with 120+. He follows that with a 3 game stretch where he didn't break 100, which is followed by 113 against TCU and being limited by injury in our last game where he got only 37. So, yes, a very up and down season.
It was RB by committee for the first two games where he was IIRC, the fourth back to see snaps. The three down weeks were 4.22, 7.67 and 4.88 YPC. Especially the KU game, would not put all my stock into the YPG stat.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
Interesting comments.

His basic premise is another year in college will always better prepare you for the nfl, almost to a man, later in life athletes wish they would have stayed, and the real risk of career altering injury is very small. There are exceptions, but the benefits outweigh the downside. He’s been thoroughly immersed in this for over 40 years. His view, not mine.

Some people have a more grounded perspective and believe it’s really not money that makes you happy. Maybe Mel is one of them.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
His basic premise is another year in college will always better prepare you for the nfl, almost to a man, later in life athletes wish they would have stayed, and the real risk of career altering injury is very small. There are exceptions, but the benefits outweigh the downside. He’s been thoroughly immersed in this for over 40 years. His view, not mine.

Some people have a more grounded perspective and believe it’s really not money that makes you happy. Maybe Mel is one of them.

It's not some novel perspective, or even a new one for that matter. Ramble on about how 'grounded' it is all you want, but it's still stupid for a top pick to come back for another year.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked

That's mostly true for 19-20 year old kids who haven't matured mentally or physically enough to take on the challenges of becoming an NFL player. Warren doesn't fall into that category. As an RB, he needs to go at the earliest opportunity. RBs these days are starting to trail off from their peak at around 27 years old.

Oct 4, 2006
Saint Louis, MO
Interesting comments.

He just wants to do less work next year and not have to scout as many players.

Oct 4, 2006
Saint Louis, MO
Warren is not a top pick.
He's not even on the radar.
But he will be if we make the playoff and he has a good performance against Georgia or Ohio State. Also, the next two games will help. High profile games, people will watch OSU that haven’t all season. Not going to be a first round pick, but that might allow him to sneak into about the 5th round.

Oct 29, 2004
Edmond, OK
Warren has had a huge positive impact on the team this year. Arguably the most valuable offensive player and possibly team MVP. However, from the NFL's perspective at first glance, he would probably be classified as "lightening in a bottle" over a single season sample set. Add in the fact that it's pretty apparent that the physicality of Big 12 play is starting to takes its toll on his body would raise concerns about his ability to handle an even higher level of physicality over a 17 game season in the NFL. For those reason, I don't think NFL teams are going to use a draft pick to acquire Warren.

I love how he plays and he has been a huge spark plug for this team. His decision to go pro is a tough one but with potential NIL funds/endorsements available it might be better for him to stay another year to prove he's not a one hit wonder at the D1 Power 5 level...given he has eligibility left which seems to be a hard question to get a solid answer.

Jan 15, 2017
Enid
I’m guessing right now he’s probably rated in the 20-25 range for RBs to be drafted, it’s hard to tell because most lists only go to 15-17 people, which is usually how many get drafted in a year however, we have some huge games coming up and he absolutely has the potential to move up 5-10 spots with a great showing on national tv for multiple games. I hope he does because that means our ground game is working and that usually translates into wins for us.
Personally I think RB is one of the only positions where if you are going to get drafted you should go out because so many things can change from one to the next.

Feb 24, 2020
oklahoma
Is he a top pick?? No!! But to say he's not on NFL scouts radar is flat out laughable....fans really are trying to convince themselves he's not an NFL prospect lmao

https://twitter.com/DVandernat/status/1452002805409976320?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

https://twitter.com/JimNagy_SB/status/1450530378306007043?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw