Jan. 6 sentencing...

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Dec 9, 2013
This. I'm an independent (admittedly an anti-Trump one) and before I largely thought Trump played with fire without understanding the consequences. These hearings have started to shift my opinion about what he knew and his intentions. I'm curious to learn more. I'm also developing respect for Liz Cheney, which is a disconcerting feeling.

Knowing how that's going to be read, I'll add that I don't think you should charge former presidents and try to send them to jail. That is not a road we want to go down.
Liz Cheney is one of the most conservative members of Congress. She voted in line w Trump 93% of the time. This is more than her replacement as #3 in Republican House leadership. But to some on here she’s not a true Republican bc she somehow wanted to find the truth about Jan 6.

Says way more about a person’s true ideology when they profess to be a conservative Republican but want people like Cheney ousted from the party.

Duke Silver

Find safe haven in a warm bathtub full of my jazz.
A/V Subscriber
Sep 17, 2004
Cozy's Bar
Liz Cheney is one of the most conservative members of Congress. She voted in line w Trump 93% of the time. This is more than her replacement as #3 in Republican House leadership. But to some on here she’s not a true Republican bc she somehow wanted to find the truth about Jan 6.

Says way more about a person’s true ideology when they profess to be a conservative Republican but want people like Cheney ousted from the party.
Voting with trump isn’t conservative. It’s whatever has hijaked the republicans

CowboyJD

The Voice of Reason...occasionally......rarely
A/V Subscriber
Dec 10, 2004
How many charges were filed by the AG on any of those investigations? They were all politically motivated investigations also. Is that really the path we want to go down? The AG filing charges based investigations out of congress when supposedly we have one of the premier investigatory agencies in the world? They are just going to sit back and wait on congress?
I fully believe the DOJ is running or has ran their own investigation. There is a reason they haven’t filed any charges. It’s been a year and a half. They’re not waiting on congress. At least for the sake of the country I hope that’s not the case. If Schiff and Cheney are that much smarter than the FBI and they have to wait on them we are royally screwed as a country.
You didn’t answer the question. Were you here moaning about slippery slopes, we’re royally screwed, is this the path we want to follow, Yada, , yada, yada, then.

My bet is….no.

There have been lots of charges filed coming out of January 6th. A “whole” year and a half to investigate whether or not the highest levels of our government were complicit in coordinated criminal conduct with insurrectionists (yes, that is the right term…what the charges have been with the leaders)….the horror. :blink:

You don’t have a clue how long those investigations should take.

You just seem so desperate not to have this fully looked at. Even if nothing but fully looking at it and and making transparent and public the operations of Trump and his cronies during those days is accomplished….that’s a good thing In and of itself.

Last edited:

Takeout Slide

Hardcore Troubadour
Nov 10, 2009
Rounding third and heading for Omaha
@Takeout Slide Sorry for taking a week to respond. I did read the article from Judge Luttig. It is hard to argue with what he wrote. It is also interesting that Trump’s attorney, Eastman, clerked for Luttig. I appreciate you linking.

But it doesn’t change my opinion. My opinion is that we were never in danger of losing our Republic. I certainly agree that there were attacks on our Republic, but an attack or threat is a large leap from “close to losing our Republic”.

There were really four threats.
1) Congress voting against certification: I hated that some Republicans, including Sen Lankford, voted against certification. But this unfortunately has become commonplace over past Presidential elections. We didn’t come close to losing our Republic then so I don’t think it qualifies to the level of losing our Republic.
2) People saying vote was fraudulent: I hate that people made claims that the vote was rigged. I also hate that prominent Dems say not only are SCOTUS decisions wrong, but that SCOTUS is illegitimate. Both are attacks and our dangerous overtime diminishing faith in our systems, but neither cause our Republic real danger.
3) Rioting: Glad that many rioters are getting jail time. As mentioned several times, the look of people breaking into the Capitol will for a long-time be a massive stain on our country. But even how ugly that was, I doubt people believe that the riot would cause us to lose our Republic (I hope everyone can agree with that).

So that brings us to what the hearing have been so far:
4) Trump’s actions on Jan 6th and days leading up: The hearings have shown us that Trump’s actions were horrible and not only unbecoming of a President, but unbecoming of a citizen. There is no doubt IMO that the huge narcissist wanted to do everything in his power to retain power. However, at least so far, I think they also show that even among his close advisors that Trump was not able to influence what he wanted most.

Conclusion, 100% agree that Trump acted horribly to keep power unlike any President in history, and potentially did something illegal, but our Republic is strong. I don’t at all believe we were remotely close to losing our Republic.

PS I do feel that there is one item that is the biggest threat to our Republic. It is not a new item, but one that has grown significantly as a threat. Our national debt.
Appreciate your response, and especially the time you took to consider another viewpoint.

Obviously, there are some things we don't agree 100% on, but I am in complete agreement with several of your points. Especially that we have to find a better way to question policies, etc. without attacking the institutions themselves (whether rhetorically or literally). In fact, I'm probably more inclined to see that as a bigger threat to the republic than you have stated.

Sep 3, 2010

lol. It cracks me up that Liz Cheney is now the left's paragon of virtue. Funny how that works. While I really don't have a problem with her voting record I'm not blinded to the fact that she and her family are corrupt and a huge part of the problems that we have in our political system. She's a crook, the democrats are pouring money into her campaign, and she's still going to get killed in her primary. The Ds and Rs are just two wings on the same bird. Case in point:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2022/06/23/liz-cheney-democrat-crossover/

Feb 7, 2011
The idea that investigations must lead to trials, convictions and jail terms or the specific investigation is bogus is lacking in a broader underlying of investigations. Investigations lead to changes in policy and procedures. Given what happened on January 6, 2020 the transfer of power from one administration to the next needs to be considered. The investigation might convince some to work on the legalities of the transfer of power.

Sep 3, 2010
The idea that investigations must lead to trials, convictions and jail terms or the specific investigation is bogus is lacking in a broader underlying of investigations. Investigations lead to changes in policy and procedures. Given what happened on January 6, 2020 the transfer of power from one administration to the next needs to be considered. The investigation might convince some to work on the legalities of the transfer of power.
I wish I had your faith.

Apr 14, 2009
Congress woman Cheney has pasted the test in my mind. I believe she is a real American PATRIOT. Even though i disagree with 98% of her politics. She is certainly no traitor to our country like trump and his lackeys.
JMHO

Oct 7, 2008
There have also been reports that Trump has used fundraising from Stop the Steal to pay for witnesses' lawyers. The committee also showed texts sent to witnesses demanding loyalty, do the right thing and you'll be taken care of, etc but didn't yet reveal who sent those texts.
https://twitter.com/petestrzok/status/1542890702174134273?cxt=HHwWgoC95ei6uekqAAAA

Sep 3, 2010
There have also been reports that Trump has used fundraising from Stop the Steal to pay for witnesses' lawyers. The committee also showed texts sent to witnesses demanding loyalty, do the right thing and you'll be taken care of, etc but didn't yet reveal who sent those texts.
https://twitter.com/petestrzok/status/1542890702174134273?cxt=HHwWgoC95ei6uekqAAAA
Peter Strzok? Welp, they've got eeem now!!

Cimarron

It's not dying I'm talking about, it's living.
Jun 28, 2007
"I’ve covered Washington for more than 50 years, including 11 years covering Congress specifically. I’ve never seen a committee all of whose members were chosen by one party, and where there is no cross-examination or any attempt to present both sides," Brit Hume

Democrats idea of democracy in action.

Feb 7, 2011
Three of the five representatives Kevin Mc Carthy selected for the committee were approved by Nancy Pelosi. Kevin McCarthy decided that Republicans not participate. Liz Cheney and Adam Kizinger volunteered and Nancy Pelosi accepted their participation in the committee.

The lack of participation by Trump leaning Republicans rests squarely on Kevin McCarthy.

CowboyJD

A/V Subscriber
Dec 10, 2004
"I’ve covered Washington for more than 50 years, including 11 years covering Congress specifically. I’ve never seen a committee all of whose members were chosen by one party, and where there is no cross-examination or any attempt to present both sides," Brit Hume

Britt Hume is a liar and you’re spreading lies.

That’s what BDS leads to.

Three of the five representatives Kevin Mc Carthy selected for the committee were approved by Nancy Pelosi. Kevin McCarthy decided that Republicans not participate. Liz Cheney and Adam Kizinger volunteered and Nancy Pelosi accepted their participation in the committee.

The lack of participation by Trump leaning Republicans rests squarely on Kevin McCarthy.

Mar 11, 2006
Brit Hume is a liar? In a forum that routinely has highly questionable sources and it is Brit Hume that gets attacked. Wow!

Oct 7, 2008

Donald Trump is free to come testify under oath and tell his side of the story any time he wants.
Steve Bannon ignored a subpoena and is free to come tell his side of the story under oath any time he wants.
Jim Jordan ignored a subpoena and is free to come tell his side of the story under oath any time he wants.
Kevin McCarthy ignored a subpoena and is free to come tell his side of the story under oath any time he wants.
Mark Meadows ignored a subpoena and is free to come tell his side of the story under oath any time he wants.
Stephen Miller ignored a subpoena and is free to come tell his side of the story under oath any time he wants.
Peter Navarro ignored a subpoena and is free to come tell his side of the story under oath any time he wants.
Sidney Powell ignored a subpoena and is free to come tell her side of the story under oath any time she wants.

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2013
Voting with trump isn’t conservative. It’s whatever has hijaked the republicans
I should have been more clear in what I was trying to convey. 1) Liz Cheney is one of the most conservative members of Congress. Stop. 2) Liz Cheney voted 93% of the time w Trumps agenda. Stop.

2 different qualifiers to show that she is everything a MAGA would want. Just to show that she was good until she couldn’t take it anymore, and went against Trump. Stop.

That’s it. That’s her sin. Has nothing to do w policy or voting record and everything to do w not kissing the ring. And as I said, it says more about the people’s true ideology who are now railing against her than it does her.

CowboyJD

A/V Subscriber
Dec 10, 2004
Brit Hume is a liar? In a forum that routinely has highly questionable sources and it is Brit Hume that gets attacked. Wow!
The statement attributed to Britt Hume is demonstrably false.

It’s a lie. If you lie, you are a liar.

Pretty simple.

CowboyJD

A/V Subscriber
Dec 10, 2004
What is false about his statement?
It’s really odd that with your constant claims of needing to question all media wherever the spectrum the come it just happens to be Britt Hume you’re defending.

Seem your skepticism goes right out the door when it’s one of your boys.

“I’ve covered Washington for more than 50 years, including 11 years covering Congress specifically. I’ve never seen a committee all of whose members were chosen by one party, and where there is no cross-examination or any attempt to present both sides," Brit Hume.”

1. The weren’t all chosen by one party.

Three of the five representatives Kevin Mc Carthy selected for the committee were approved by Nancy Pelosi. Kevin McCarthy decided that Republicans not participate and pulled them Liz Cheney and Adam Kizinger volunteered and Nancy Pelosi accepted their participation in the committee.

2. Cross-examination? In an investigative hearing? News flash. That’s not even a thing in congressional investigative hearings. It’s not a trial. No “cross-examination” in Benghazi hearings.

3. Attempt to present both sides? Benghazi Hearing say hi. I could go on here, but he said he’s never seen it so I only need to provide one example to prove him demonstrably false. Also there is this…

Donald Trump is free to come testify under oath and tell his side of the story any time he wants.
Steve Bannon ignored a subpoena and is free to come tell his side of the story under oath any time he wants.
Jim Jordan ignored a subpoena and is free to come tell his side of the story under oath any time he wants.
Kevin McCarthy ignored a subpoena and is free to come tell his side of the story under oath any time he wants.
Mark Meadows ignored a subpoena and is free to come tell his side of the story under oath any time he wants.
Stephen Miller ignored a subpoena and is free to come tell his side of the story under oath any time he wants.
Peter Navarro ignored a subpoena and is free to come tell his side of the story under oath any time he wants.
Sidney Powell ignored a subpoena and is free to come tell her side of the story under oath any time she wants.