Jan. 6 sentencing...

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Mar 11, 2006
. And I stand by my statement that the Capitol riot was of another caliber.
I agree the Capitol riot “was of another caliber” compared to one of the summer riots. But I disagree with your view that there was ever a threat to democracy. The US is much stronger than that.

I am extremely glad the Capitol riot is being treated seriously and those responsible arrested and charged.

Certainly this is a hindsight statement, but perhaps if we investigated and charged the rioters of the summer riots as strong as we have the Jan 6th rioters then possibly there would not have been 500+ riots?

TheMonkey

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 16, 2004
DFW
I agree the Capitol riot “was of another caliber” compared to one of the summer riots. But I disagree with your view that there was ever a threat to democracy. The US is much stronger than that.

I am extremely glad the Capitol riot is being treated seriously and those responsible arrested and charged.

Certainly this is a hindsight statement, but perhaps if we investigated and charged the rioters of the summer riots as strong as we have the Jan 6th rioters then possibly there would not have been 500+ riots?
I don’t disagree that prosecution should have been treated seriously in cases where it wasn't. There were over 14,000 criminal charges brought up, but based on what I read, prosecutions were not all severe. Some of the more liberal regions were lenient. But I think what would have been helpful is if the severe prosecutions were broadcast more prominently. The left didn't want that, as it indicated some of the protests were violent/lawless. The right didn't want that, because is indicated justice was being served.

I've been studying a former professor at Stanford named René Girard. When he was alive, he posed a theory called mimetics. He proposed that people mimic each other, including their desires. This creates competition, which turns into conflict which is often violent. The remedy that all past societies developed is something he labeled as the scapegoat mechanism. All of the blame is placed on someone who is punished for the violence, unrest, and bad fortune of their society. This brings competing factions together against the scapegoat and eliminates their cycle of violence. (Girard went on to suggest that Jesus was the ultimate scapegoat, since he was innocent but was destined to bear the blame for all)

After the Summer riots, we had the opportunity to unify behind the prosecution of criminal and violent behavior. We didn't. Therefore, the cycle of violence and revenge continued.

After the Capitol riot, we have the same opportunity, but we are still not united. I'm concerned the tit-for-tat will continue and it will lead to more violence. As I've stated before, if we can't put our differences aside, this isn't the end of this.

OranGE-KK

Deputy
A/V Subscriber
Dec 11, 2011
I read this & think of the Cleveland fans from Major League arguing that the home run was "too high"

Who gives a S#!t, it's gone?!!!

PF5

Deputy
Jan 3, 2014
Prosecutors break down charges, convictions for 725 arrested so far in Jan. 6 attack on Capitol

Of those arrested, 225 people were charged with assault or resisting arrest. More than 75 of those were charged with using a deadly or dangerous weapon against police officers. The office said 140 police officers, including Capitol officers and members of the D.C. police department, were victimized during the attack.

The office said about 10 individuals were charged with assaulting members of the media or destroying their equipment.

Some 640 people were charged with entering a restricted federal building or its grounds. And another 75 were charged with entering a restricted area with a deadly weapon.

According to a May estimate by the Architect of the Capitol, the attack caused about $1.5 million worth of damage to the building.

About 165 individuals, the office said, have pleaded guilty to a variety of federal charges, from misdemeanors to felony obstruction.

So far, 70 defendants have received some kind of sentence from a judge. Of those, 31 people were ordered jailed, and 18 were sentenced to home detention. The remaining 21 defendants were placed on probation.

The FBI is continuing to identify suspects in the case and is collecting tips at fbi.gov/wanted/capitol-violence, 1-800-CALL-FBI (800-225-5324) or tips.fbi.gov.

TheMonkey

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 16, 2004
DFW
He’s trying to make the point they wanted peace and calm at the Capitol. I don’t buy it and feel like he’s digging a hole for himself.

PF5

Deputy
Jan 3, 2014
Lawmaker files bill to stop political prisoners from being transported through Oklahoma

OKLAHOMA CITY —
An Oklahoma state senator filed a bill that would stop political prisoners from being transported through the Sooner State.

State Sen. Nathan Dahm, R-Broken Arrow, filed Senate Bill 1166, which is titled the "Prohibition on Political Prisoners in Oklahoma Act." The proposed bill defines a political prisoner as a U.S. citizen who has been arrested, charged or convicted of any crime, other than a felony, relating to the attack on the U.S. Capitol on Jan. 6, 2021.

The bill would not allow any federal agency to transport a political prisoner through Oklahoma by any means, including on highways and airspace.

"It’s well past time we stand up to this political thuggery being imposed on people who entered a building — a building which they own as citizens — through doors opened by police and security personnel to grant them access," Dahm said in a news release. "Especially while the feds refuse to bring charges against dozens of their informants and agitators who seemingly instigated much of the chaos of the day."

Oct 7, 2008
THIS WAS ON DEC 31st!!! How can people NOT see this was a planned event!! Planned at the WH level

https://twitter.com/woodruffbets/status/1478490335756140554
I remember after Trump lost the election and he was going around purging upper level officials and replacing them with loyalists, asking when we upgrade this from a soft coup and the Rs on this board just laughed. If it had been a dictator in any autocratic country Republicans would have been able to recognize it for what it was. If they watched Erdogan lose an election in Turkey and claim voter fraud and get his followers to storm the capitol on the day the next President was to be certified, they would recognize it for exactly what it is. Unfortunately humans are incredibly easy to manipulate. Stroke their ego a bit, spit in the faces of the people whose faces they want to spit in, whisper sweet fascist nothings in their ear. And they will follow you anywhere.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
Ted Cruz done went and pissed off ALL the MAGAites out there. Twitter is exploding in far right back lash right now for Ted Cruz....and Tucker spent a good 10 min going after Ted Cruz last night

Ted Cruz was one of the biggest supporters of this movement the day it happened, spoke at the rally the day before AND voted to NOT certify the Election for Biden. He has come full 180 a year later.

TheMonkey

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 16, 2004
DFW
Ted Cruz done went and pissed off ALL the MAGAites out there. Twitter is exploding in far right back lash right now for Ted Cruz....and Tucker spent a good 10 min going after Ted Cruz last night

Ted Cruz was one of the biggest supporters of this movement the day it happened, spoke at the rally the day before AND voted to NOT certify the Election for Biden. He has come full 180 a year later.

I guess some new polling data came back. Like most politicians, Cruz will do what is in his best self-interest.

BTW, happy anniversary y’all!

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
Sammamish, Washington.Dallas, Texas.Maui, Hawaii
Something really weird going. What happened to insurrection? Even the NYT is now calling it a siege. People are laughing at Ted but he just got away with it too. Reread his words.” A violent terrorist attack.” And just like that he’s laid the groundwork for applying that language. So what? Just wait till the next episode. A riot perhaps?

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
I remember after Trump lost the election and he was going around purging upper level officials and replacing them with loyalists, asking when we upgrade this from a soft coup and the Rs on this board just laughed. If it had been a dictator in any autocratic country Republicans would have been able to recognize it for what it was. If they watched Erdogan lose an election in Turkey and claim voter fraud and get his followers to storm the capitol on the day the next President was to be certified, they would recognize it for exactly what it is. Unfortunately humans are incredibly easy to manipulate. Stroke their ego a bit, spit in the faces of the people whose faces they want to spit in, whisper sweet fascist nothings in their ear. And they will follow you anywhere.
That’s not why all of them laughed here. Some laughed because it’s happened before.

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
I’m on a vid max kick. Just came across the newest posting just now. Called something like the first insurrection. From the inauguration of Trump protests in 2017. If you’ll listen just for a few minutes what was said by seemingly normal folks, it gives a better understanding to the pendulum effect going on. Hope someone will quit winding the clock. Btw, looking backwards, those were some violent lamentings going on.

https://vidmax.com/video/209957-fla...ration-openly-wanted-to-kill-trump-supporters