James Webb Telescope first images

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Jostate

Identifies as a Cowboys fan
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
Yep. They say there are over 300 million planets that are habitable. Interesting. We may never know. I am 62 so I wont live to see it. A new telescope is being worked on now. The Nancy Grace Roman.
Gravitational lensing is the next exponential step of telescopes. That is possible within your son's lifetime. See if you can't get his girlfriend to work that out for us.

Jostate

A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
Aliens out there? The latest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0c5ZSJjUz2o
The one thing that bugs me is they always say we are discovering the average planet is bigger or closer to it's sun than those in our solar system. Isn't that just because those are easier to find? It's like me stepping out on my front porch and coming to the conclusion that the yard way down the street has, on average, bigger birds than mine does.

UrbanCowboy1

Some cowboys gots smarts real good like me.
Aug 8, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
The one thing that bugs me is they always say we are discovering the average planet is bigger or closer to it's sun than those in our solar system. Isn't that just because those are easier to find? It's like me stepping out on my front porch and coming to the conclusion that the yard way down the street has, on average, bigger birds than mine does.
In answer to the bolded part, you nailed it. The types of planets we are finding are the easiest to find based on the type of method of detection we use.

The birds in your neighbors yard is a really great analogy and it's one of the more puzzling things we're finding about extra-solar planets. The main method we use to identify these planets is called the transit method. Meaning we can only see these things when they cross between our line of sight and their sun. So naturally they need to be big enough for us to detect them. There are probably other planets there, but we are only seeing the ones close up to their sun that are big. We've identified over 5,000 planets this way.

But here's the weird part. We're find a LOT of stars have this type of planet. Large and in very close orbits to their sun. We...don't have that. Our gas giants are really far out. And as a matter of note, it appears that most other solar systems only have one type of planet. Take the Trappist system. Like five planets, almost all the same size. Very odd. There seems to be something very unusual about our solar system.

Lastly, rabbit hole again and personal opinion of mine: I think we are alone in the universe, or at the very least we are alone in this galaxy, which might as well be the universe. The oddity of our solar system is just one of one thousand little quirks that we see. I'm a subscriber of the rare-earth hypotheses.

Other solar systems seem to have their gas giants right up close to their star. Ours are very far away
Other solar systems are fairly uniform, ours has a variety of planets.
85%+ of stars in the universe are red dwarfs. We have a much larger yellow dwarf G-class type, which is less than 8% of stars.

Long way round to your post, a big reason why JWST is so important is that it will let us find other types of exo-planets. We could discover hundreds of thousands more. It's truly a new age of discovery

Oct 29, 2016
US
First ever pic of a planet outside our solar system

James Webb Space Telescope snags its 1st direct photo of an alien world

https://www.space.com/james-webb-space-telescope-exoplanet-image
This is absolutely incredible. Every single human should be celebrating in the street! There should be weeks long celebrations!

And yet look at us. We have captured something so incredible, yet this species we call humans couldn't give a damn less. Pathetic. Humans are doomed. And maybe that's not such a bad thing. We destroy life like it's absolutely nothing. We care nothing about each other. We care nothing about such spectacular achievements such as the James Webb has already discovered. What a shame we are.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
This is absolutely incredible. Every single human should be celebrating in the street! There should be weeks long celebrations!

And yet look at us. We have captured something so incredible, yet this species we call humans couldn't give a damn less. Pathetic. Humans are doomed. And maybe that's not such a bad thing. We destroy life like it's absolutely nothing. We care nothing about each other. We care nothing about such spectacular achievements such as the James Webb has already discovered. What a shame we are.
Did you see the perfect Einstein Ring !!! Wow !!

Jostate

A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005

1662469766745.png

Boomer.....

Territorial Marshal
Feb 15, 2007
OKC

Too busy watching the new season of the Kardashians.

kaboy42

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2007

Species shaming? :derp: