James Webb Telescope first images

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
This picture is astounding to me.

This is the equivalent of picking up ONE grain of sand. Holding it at arms length....and that is how much area of the Sky...is in this picture.

Each Light source on the pic you see is its own GALAXY!!!

1657645810143.png

Duke Silver

Find safe haven in a warm bathtub full of my jazz.
A/V Subscriber
Sep 17, 2004
Cozy's Bar

This is the equivalent of picking up ONE grain of sand. Holding it at arms length....and that is how much area of the Sky...is in this picture.

View attachment 96363
Stealing from Neil DeGrasse Tyson, I see.

ramases2112

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Jun 28, 2008
Inside the Basket of Deplorables
www.reddit.com
I honest to God haven't seen anything from him in Months.

Did he post this exact thing ? I got these images directly from NASA website
He is talking about the grain of sand comparison. The difference between this shot and hubble is insane. I was reading that some of the light in this image is 300 million years after the big bang! That is just crazy! It took hubble nearly 3 weeks to create the image of the original ultra deep field shot, it took JWST only 12.5 hours to do so. The possibilities with this are gonna revolutionize astronomy.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
He is talking about the grain of sand comparison. The difference between this shot and hubble is insane. I was reading that some of the light in this image is 300 million years after the big bang! That is just crazy! It took hubble nearly 3 weeks to create the image of the original ultra deep field shot, it took JWST only 12.5 hours to do so. The possibilities with this are gonna revolutionize astronomy.
wow, link? I would love to read that

12.5 hours is INSANE...I had no clue this was such a huge upgrade over Hubble...as Hubble underwent several upgrades itself before it was decommissioned

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK

View attachment 96363
Reminds me of a poster I had when I was a kid. The scale is just beyond comprehension.

universe.jpg

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
I was looking at these a bit more and reading and stumbled on some fascinating information.
@ramases2112 you are correct, it is already revolutionizing Space Exploration

The image on the Right is from Hubble and the Image on the Left is from Webb.

The Hubble image you can see the light streak....and this is a Star that has gone Super Nova. With the Hubble image it wasn't clear but you could see the light shaft and it was fairly stable and scientist had considered it a huge column of hot gas escaping from the Super Nova.

However, the much clearer Webb picture, what they realized it is actually NOT gas at all.....it is Way way way way way far in the back ground behind the Super Nova and is actually an Entire Galaxy millions of light years beyond the Super Nova.

it is called a Side Ways Galaxy..as you are looking at it straight on and it appears flat with a bubble in the middle where its black hole would be.

1657802981892.png

Last edited:

RxCowboy

I'm your huckleberry. That's just my game.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Closer to Stillwater today than I was last year
I was looking at these a bit more and reading and stumbled on some fascinating information.
@ramases2112 you are correct, it is already revolutionizing Space Exploration

The image on the Right is from Hubble and the Image on the Left is from Webb.

The Hubble image you can see the light streak....and this is a Star that has gone Super Nova. With the Hubble image it wasn't clear but you could see the light shaft and it was fairly stable and scientist had considered it a huge column of hot gas escaping from the Super Nova.

However, the much clearer Webb picture, what they realized it is actually NOT gas at all.....it is Way way way way way far in the back ground behind the Super Nova and is actually an Entire Galaxy millions of light years beyond the Super Nova.

it is called a Side Ways Galaxy..as you are looking at it straight on and it appears flat with a bubble in the middle where its black hole would be.

View attachment 96388
A galaxy can be flat but the earth can't be???

Boomer.....

Territorial Marshal
Feb 15, 2007
OKC

The Big Bang happened 13.8 billion years ago. Hubble sees back to roughly 13.5 billion years. #JWST was designed to peer into a part of the universe we've never seen before—when the first galaxies came to existence, the first stars came into life, the first black holes appeared.

RxCowboy

I'm your huckleberry. That's just my game.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Closer to Stillwater today than I was last year

The Big Bang happened 13.8 billion years ago. Hubble sees back to roughly 13.5 billion years. #JWST was designed to peer into a part of the universe we've never seen before—when the first galaxies came to existence, the first stars came into life, the first black holes appeared.
We need a telescope that will look back 13.9 billion years.

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
Sammamish, Washington.Dallas, Texas.Maui, Hawaii
Look carefully and you’ll see some of the very early forms of galaxy formation. There’s disks in there with no arms.

Feb 11, 2007
Oklahoma City
The size and complexity of the Universe is hard to even imagine. Earendel the most distant body found also labeled "morning star" or "earlylight" is said to be 12.9 billion light years (light traveling 186,000 miles per second) away. It took several years using our latest detection devices to even discern that it was not just a wave from other lights. Again...it boggles my mind to think of the size and complexity of our Universe.