It seems even so-called "conservatives" need safe spaces too....

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

CowboyJD

The Voice of Reason...occasionally......rarely
A/V Subscriber
Dec 10, 2004
https://www.yahoo.com/news/law-student-mocked-federalist-society-181811007.html

"His offense: sending an email flyer to fellow law students in January that he pretended was from the Federalist Society, a prominent conservative and libertarian group with a chapter at the law school.

The satirical flyer promoted a discussion about the Jan. 6 insurrection at the U.S. Capitol, featuring Sen. Josh Hawley, R-Mo., and the Texas attorney general, Ken Paxton. The title of the mock event: 'The Originalist Case for Inciting Insurrection'.”

Is this an example of "cancel culture" from the right? I have said that I don't believe "cancel culture" is actually a thing (I said that "cancel culture" is just what the losers in the marketplace of ideas call the competition when they are losing), but this seems to meet every single definition that was given to me by those that believe it does.

Last edited:

Jonkr06

Territorial Marshal
Aug 18, 2007
Katy, TX
Both sides participate in cancel culture... regularly. Piss and moan about anything and everything you don't agree with. It's the new American way I guess.

Jostate

Identifies as a Cowboys fan
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
Choosing to not watch or buy something because you don't like it is consumer choice. Trying to cancel it so that others can't watch or buy it is cancel culture. There is a difference. I think the left lead the way, but the right is starting to catch on. It's like the way we pickup up on flopping from European sports.

steross

he/him
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
Choosing to not watch or buy something because you don't like it is consumer choice. Trying to cancel it so that others can't watch or buy it is cancel culture. There is a difference. I think the left lead the way, but the right is starting to catch on. It's like the way we pickup up on flopping from European sports.
How exactly has the left lead the way? When did the left lead the way?

Are you forgetting the recent past "cancel cultures" such as liquor by the drink, gambling, gay unions/marriage/nightclubs, marijuana use, Sunday blue laws etc.
The agenda of the right is full of "trying to cancel it so that others can't" and has been that way for decades.
It is hilarious how you always think every problem starts with the left before the right reluctantly joins in and blah, blah, blah because that is what fits your politics. The fact is people are people. You point blame away from your own politics and notice the ones that bother you more and not the ones that either don't personally bother you or are so ingrained in your life that you don't notice them.

Mar 11, 2006
You point blame away from your own politics and notice the ones that bother you more and not the ones that either don't personally bother you or are so ingrained in your life that you don't notice them.
This statement could apply to about 90% of the threads on this forum. And IRL.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!

Are you forgetting the recent past "cancel cultures" such as liquor by the drink, gambling, gay unions/marriage/nightclubs, marijuana use, Sunday blue laws etc.
The agenda of the right is full of "trying to cancel it so that others can't" and has been that way for decades.
It is hilarious how you always think every problem starts with the left before the right reluctantly joins in and blah, blah, blah because that is what fits your politics. The fact is people are people. You point blame away from your own politics and notice the ones that bother you more and not the ones that either don't personally bother you or are so ingrained in your life that you don't notice them.
cancel culture is as American as Apple pie.
This country was literally founded on an event started by a Cancel Culture move of "Canceling" British Tea in a protest to taxes.
The abolitionist movement......they canceled a lot of stuff along the way to the abolishment of slavery
The Red Scare was a HUGE example of cancel culture. Everything was scrutinized, boarded up, shut down, shunned etc etc etc if anyone could link it, whether true or not, to Communism

Last edited:

jobob85

Drunkle
A/V Subscriber
Mar 11, 2009
https://www.yahoo.com/news/law-student-mocked-federalist-society-181811007.html

"His offense: sending an email flyer to fellow law students in January that he pretended was from the Federalist Society, a prominent conservative and libertarian group with a chapter at the law school.

The satirical flyer promoted a discussion about the Jan. 6 insurrection at the U.S. Capitol, featuring Sen. Josh Hawley, R-Mo., and the Texas attorney general, Ken Paxton. The title of the mock event: 'The Originalist Case for Inciting Insurrection'.”

Is this an example of "cancel culture" from the right? I have said that I don't believe "cancel culture" is actually a thing (I said that "cancel culture" is just what the losers in the marketplace of ideas call the competition when they are losing), but this seems to meet every single definition that was given to me by those that believe it does.
No

CowboyJD

A/V Subscriber
Dec 10, 2004
Why not?

He posts an obvious satire.

They try to silence him, destroy his life, and keep him from getting law degree over free speech that hurt their feelers.

I don't believe "cancel culture" actually exists, but that sure sounds like all the definitions I've been given by those that believe it does.

Jostate

A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005

Good point. Although legislating morality (which I've never been a big fan of) is different than cancel culture.

Trying to rid society of drug abuse, alcoholism, gambling, and someone's idea of sexual deviance, while ineffective, is an attempt to cancel an activity. When most people talk of cancel culture they are talking about going after individuals or individual companies based on politics or political correctness. If someone wants to cancel the My Pillow guy, they don't have a problem with pillows, they have a problem with the way he votes or donates money.

So to your point the right tries to legislate morality, but the left is more likely to be behind facebook rallies against things like Eskimo Joe's, Aunt Jemima, the Atlanta Braves or some guy who donated to a particular candidate.

jobob85

Drunkle
A/V Subscriber
Mar 11, 2009
Why not?

He posts an obvious satire.

They try to silence him, destroy his life, and keep him from getting law degree over free speech that hurt their feelers.

I don't believe "cancel culture" actually exists, but that sure sounds like all the definitions I've been given by those that believe it does.
Asked and answered councellor. Elaboration wasn't part of the question.

Jostate

A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
What do you call it when someone who has never been to Eskimo Joe's tries to rally a petition online to get rid of the Eskimo?

steross

he/him
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
What do you call it when someone who has never been to Eskimo Joe's tries to rally a petition online to get rid of the Eskimo?
The exact same thing as someone petitioning to get rid of a gay bar when they have never been to a gay bar. The person wanting to get rid of the Eskimo thinks that the cultural appropriation like that is harmful. The person wanting to get rid of gay people having a hangout thinks that being gay is harmful. And it is the same as the person wanting to stop a Drag Queen from talking to children about a children's book. Despite your attempts to call one "legislating morality" and the other "cancel culture" it is the same human nature of not liking something that someone else is doing and making attempts to stop it based on your feelings, not theirs.

Jostate

A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
The exact same thing as someone petitioning to get rid of a gay bar when they have never been to a gay bar. The person wanting to get rid of the Eskimo thinks that the cultural appropriation like that is harmful. The person wanting to get rid of gay people having a hangout thinks that being gay is harmful. And it is the same as the person wanting to stop a Drag Queen from talking to children about a children's book. Despite your attempts to call one "legislating morality" and the other "cancel culture" it is the same human nature of not liking something that someone else is doing and making attempts to stop it based on your feelings, not theirs.
I was with you until you brought the kids into it. That's a little different issue.

BTW Angles has been in OKC since I was a kid. I remember several attempts at shutting the Rd Dog down but I've never heard of these attempts at closing gay bars. I'm sure it's happened somewhere but if Angles has survived 4 decades in OKC it's not as bad as you make it sound.

Last edited:

TheMonkey

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 16, 2004
DFW
I was with you until you brought the kids into it. That's a little different issue.

BTW Angles has been in OKC since I was a kid. I remember several attempts at shutting the Rd Dog down but I've never heard of these attempts at closing gay bars. I'm sure it's happened somewhere but if Angles has survived 4 decades in OKC it's not as bad as you make it sound.
And Rush Limbaugh was never taken off the air, so I guess it balances out.

Jostate

A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
ugh an
And Rush Limbaugh was never taken off the air, so I guess it balances out.
What if we do a swap, you can have Limbaugh and Angles goes?

Actually I take that back, I don't care if Angles goes and I've been to a few drag nights there. The 80's were zany.

CowboyJD

A/V Subscriber
Dec 10, 2004
Asked and answered councellor. Elaboration wasn't part of the question.
Cop out.

I asked a follow-up question.

If you wanna bail though, no skin off my nose.

Also, it’s “counselor”.

If we were in England, it’d be “counsellor”.