Israel conducts air strikes in Gaza

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Closer to Stillwater today than I was last year
Let me fix that for you. The moral of the story is that Israel without the support of US taxpayer funded billions of dollars, combined with US as an ally, would get their butt kicked easily. Israel is nothing without our money and US' military.
The contrast between Israeli heroism and the submissive meekness with which Jews went to their death - arriving on time at the transportation points, walking on their own feet to the places of execution, digging their own graves, undressing and making neat piles of their clothing, and lying down side by side to be shot - seemed a fine point, and the prosecutor, asking witness after witness, "Why did you not protest?," "Why did you board the train?," "Fifteen thousand people were standing there and hundreds of guards facing you - why didn't you revolt and charge and attack?," was elaborating it for all it was worth. But the sad truth of the matter is that the point was ill taken, for no non-Jewish group or people had behaved differently. Sixteen years ago, while still under the direct impact of the events, David Rousset, a former inmate of Buchenwald, described what we know happened in all concentration camps: "The triumph of the S.S. demands that the tortured victim allow himself to be led to the noose without protesting, that he renounce and abandon himself to the point of ceasing to affirm his identity.(emphasis added) And it is not for nothing. It is not gratuitously, out of sheer sadism, that the S.S. men desire his defeat. They know that the system which succeeds in destroying its victim before he mounts the scaffold . . . is incomparably the best for keeping a whole people in slavery. In submission. Nothing is more terrible than these processions of human beings going like dummies to their deaths"

In “Eichman in Jerusalem: A Report on the Banality of Evil” by Hannah Arendt, 1964

If Hamas, Palestinians, Arabs would cease wanting Israel and Jews to cease to exist the Middle East conflict would end. I, for one, do not regret any aid we give to our closest ally in the Middle East.

Duke Silver

Find safe haven in a warm bathtub full of my jazz.
A/V Subscriber
Sep 17, 2004
Cozy's Bar
What ??

https://twitter.com/therecount/status/1394385978878476290?s=19
Yeah. You'd think you of all people would have heard about this. So, here we go. A building Israel flattened was a building that the ap used. Almost everyone else in the building was Hamas. The ap knew this. After the building was no more, the ap sent out a story that was debunked immediately. Just a complete lie and propaganda. The guy above may be hyperbolic, but rooted in reality.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
I don’t get the support of radical Palestinians and Hamas who “always” initiate the conflict and the insane hatred of Jews. The US has had no better ally. It’s as if a huge chunk of the populace (primarily lefties) have a terminal case of Stockholm Syndrome.....
11. Killing homosexuals via stoning or throwing off roofs.

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
Sammamish, Washington.Dallas, Texas.Maui, Hawaii
The contrast between Israeli heroism and the submissive meekness with which Jews went to their death - arriving on time at the transportation points, walking on their own feet to the places of execution, digging their own graves, undressing and making neat piles of their clothing, and lying down side by side to be shot - seemed a fine point, and the prosecutor, asking witness after witness, "Why did you not protest?," "Why did you board the train?," "Fifteen thousand people were standing there and hundreds of guards facing you - why didn't you revolt and charge and attack?," was elaborating it for all it was worth. But the sad truth of the matter is that the point was ill taken, for no non-Jewish group or people had behaved differently. Sixteen years ago, while still under the direct impact of the events, David Rousset, a former inmate of Buchenwald, described what we know happened in all concentration camps: "The triumph of the S.S. demands that the tortured victim allow himself to be led to the noose without protesting, that he renounce and abandon himself to the point of ceasing to affirm his identity.(emphasis added) And it is not for nothing. It is not gratuitously, out of sheer sadism, that the S.S. men desire his defeat. They know that the system which succeeds in destroying its victim before he mounts the scaffold . . . is incomparably the best for keeping a whole people in slavery. In submission. Nothing is more terrible than these processions of human beings going like dummies to their deaths"

In “Eichman in Jerusalem: A Report on the Banality of Evil” by Hannah Arendt, 1964

If Hamas, Palestinians, Arabs would cease wanting Israel and Jews to cease to exist the Middle East conflict would end. I, for one, do not regret any aid we give to our closest ally in the Middle East.
Let me just say that quote tripped me up. I have to go read that ten more times. I’ll be back.

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
What ??

https://twitter.com/therecount/status/1394385978878476290?s=19
Ha. I answered it before he did.

https://m.jpost.com/israel-news/isr...hamas-in-ap-office-tower-officials-say-668303

Story about IDF talking with Biden admin before the bombing of the media building. Proof offered that Hamas was using it as a shield. The AP itself is incensed at this barbaric attack that’s obviously an attack on the media so the world doesn’t know the truth.

Now if the AP members looked out their windows ( which I got to believe reporters would do in a war conflict ) and they see a rocket launcher next to their building firing, they would normally protest. Or flee. It’s considered a war crime to fire artillery next to civilian structures. Full well knowing that modern militaries can target a launch site in seconds. They didn’t flee. They didn’t even protest. They were there intentionally. Just like many other organizations. Knowing their presence causes a hesitation from return fire. This story is now that the BIDEN administration gave the go ahead to hit that building.

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
I’ve always wondered that thought. Not necessarily any particular event but why a group of thousands allows a group of hundreds to dominate them.
Holocaust is a bit different though. Let's say one camp rebels and takes over because they have superior numbers. What then? Does anyone think a platoon of german soldiers isn't slaughtering them immediately after that? They had already seen slaughters in the ghettos and been stripped of all of their possessions while their countrymen either participated in their humiliation or idly watched it happen with very few exceptions. You can see how it convinces you that everyone wants you dead and no one is coming to help.

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
Holocaust is a bit different though. Let's say one camp rebels and takes over because they have superior numbers. What then? Does anyone think a platoon of german soldiers isn't slaughtering them immediately after that? They had already seen slaughters in the ghettos and been stripped of all of their possessions while their countrymen either participated in their humiliation or idly watched it happen with very few exceptions. You can see how it convinces you that everyone wants you dead and no one is coming to help.
Even then, the Warsaw uprising shows that against all that (what you said) and knowing the consequences, it’s better to try.

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
Even then, the Warsaw uprising shows that against all that (what you said) and knowing the consequences, it’s better to try.
Depends on your definition of better. A huge portion was still slaughtered, including thousands who were burned alive in their homes, and the remainder were sent to concentration camps anyway. One of the leaders apparently said "our hour had come with any hope of support or rescue". You can never know these things, but it's entirely possible more people died because they fought back. The most you can say is you made it harder and killed a few nazis along the way.

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
Depends on your definition of better. A huge portion was still slaughtered, including thousands who were burned alive in their homes, and the remainder were sent to concentration camps anyway. One of the leaders apparently said "our hour had come with any hope of support or rescue". You can never know these things, but it's entirely possible more people died because they fought back. The most you can say is you made it harder and killed a few nazis along the way.
Amen! (Bold part)
I have a strange group of friends that like to swarm me on my birthday for my “whuppins”. And all anyone can do when faced with overwhelming and superior odds is this MAKE IT HARDER AND TAKE AS MANY AS POSSIBLE WITH YOU. Every year one of those strange friends is recovering from the same whupping I got. Why curl up in a ball?

Now obviously I just compared a game of tag to the Holocaust but above I clearly stated
“I’ve always wondered that thought. Not necessarily any particular event but why a group of thousands allows a group of hundreds to dominate them.”

Just to be clear. If you’re going down, make them remember it.

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
Amen! (Bold part)
I have a strange group of friends that like to swarm me on my birthday for my “whuppins”. And all anyone can do when faced with overwhelming and superior odds is this MAKE IT HARDER AND TAKE AS MANY AS POSSIBLE WITH YOU. Every year one of those strange friends is recovering from the same whupping I got. Why curl up in a ball?

Now obviously I just compared a game of tag to the Holocaust but above I clearly stated
“I’ve always wondered that thought. Not necessarily any particular event but why a group of thousands allows a group of hundreds to dominate them.”

Just to be clear. If you’re going down, make them remember it.
And I'm pushing back on your analogy that the holocaust was thousands of oppressed against hundreds. Yes, some fought back and were slaughtered. I dislike the implication that the others "took it" when they could have fought back and won (as in, what happens when thousands fight back against their oppressors who are much smaller in number). Many Jews "took it" because they knew they would be slaughtered if they resisted precisely because there were more German soldiers and police with more firepower who were willing to wield it in cruel ways.