Israel conducts air strikes in Gaza

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

andylicious

Territorial Marshal
Nov 16, 2013
tractor
And I'm pushing back on your analogy that the holocaust was thousands of oppressed against hundreds. Yes, some fought back and were slaughtered. I dislike the implication that the others "took it" when they could have fought back and won (as in, what happens when thousands fight back against their oppressors who are much smaller in number). Many Jews "took it" because they knew they would be slaughtered if they resisted precisely because there were more German soldiers and police with more firepower who were willing to wield it in cruel ways.
You never go quietly into the night, but most of the people in Poland and Germany thought they were Germans or Poles. They didn't really understand until it was too late.

Nov 6, 2010
And I'm pushing back on your analogy that the holocaust was thousands of oppressed against hundreds. Yes, some fought back and were slaughtered. I dislike the implication that the others "took it" when they could have fought back and won (as in, what happens when thousands fight back against their oppressors who are much smaller in number). Many Jews "took it" because they knew they would be slaughtered if they resisted precisely because there were more German soldiers and police with more firepower who were willing to wield it in cruel ways.
The playing field matters bigtime. The Jews were a minority in Germany. The only place they were a majority was after they had already been interned into concentration camps. At that point, numbers didn't matter because the guards had the field tilted so much in their favor. Just like prisons in the US or anywhere else. There are fewer guards than inmates, but the field is tilted majorly in the favor of the guards. In this instance, the field is tilted in favor of the Israelis, and that comes with some level of responsibility.

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
The playing field matters bigtime. The Jews were a minority in Germany. The only place they were a majority was after they had already been interned into concentration camps. At that point, numbers didn't matter because the guards had the field tilted so much in their favor. Just like prisons in the US or anywhere else. There are fewer guards than inmates, but the field is tilted majorly in the favor of the guards. In this instance, the field is tilted in favor of the Israelis, and that comes with some level of responsibility.
Right, you can also see why Israelis have maintained the feeling that "no one is coming and everyone wants to kill us" and that feeds into their response. They aren't perpetrating genocide, but it does seem like they don't see how they're creating some similar feelings of being hemmed into nothing but bad options among Palestinians.

Nov 6, 2010
Right, you can also see why Israelis have maintained the feeling that "no one is coming and everyone wants to kill us" and that feeds into their response. They aren't perpetrating genocide, but it does seem like they don't see how they're creating some similar feelings of being hemmed into nothing but bad options among Palestinians.
Absolutely. This is where I hate the binary choice that politics give us. There is no good guy/bad guy thing in this, no more than there is anti Semitism. You can simultaneously understand the Palestinian frustration without being anti-semetic, or even anti Israel . You can also sympathize with the Palestinian position, as a lot of Israeli, European and American Jews do, without supporting Hamas and their tactics. And you can support Israeli's right to exist and defend itself without supporting settlement expansionism.

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
Sammamish, Washington.Dallas, Texas.Maui, Hawaii
I was actually quoting my earlier self in that this phenomenon wasn’t just the holocaust. You can find the examples everywhere. Prison guards. POWs. Local riots. Etc. But yes, the Jews really had no choice left by the time transport arrival times were posted.

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
Sammamish, Washington.Dallas, Texas.Maui, Hawaii
Feeds what many people in the ME often think of us. Give money to both sides to perpetuate forever wars and make money off of them.
China and Russia are mad because we are so great at it. Of course, the P like to spend it on Iranian and Chinese weapons and the I like to spend it on US, Russian, French and Indian weapon systems. It’s a win win win for everyone. Except the good people living there that want nothing to do with it. But hey, we got money for them too. All they got to do is lose a love one to the conflict and good ol Uncle Sam will make a pain and suffering payment. If you ask nicely.

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1397218438607687686

At some point, our government has got to demand actual evidence that the money is going where it is intended and not simply being used to buy more weapons or line the pockets of Hamas leaders. This is not just Palestine, this should be for every freaking country on the planet. If we don't see that money being used the way we agreed it would then no more soup for you.