Is the Monkey still clapping?

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
Both Mr. OP and the Monkey need to be passed down to the next generation. Maybe we have a Mr. Orange Power day where everyone dresses like Mr. Orange Power (full orange coveralls and all). Btw, I happen to know he's still around (a Facebook friend)...not sure why it's rumored that he's hanging it up...Likely just covid and being tired of it. Also a clanging monkey day where the paddle people honor the monkey and operator? Come to think of it, paddle people could honor Mr. Orange Power as well. Both of these fans will be missed.
I'd say the paddle people could do that. Bring it up to them. Also, each game this year, the University will have a different person "being" Mr. Orange Power.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Jun 12, 2007
From 2008. Amazed I still have this in my phone.

View attachment 91792
From 2008. Amazed I still have this in my phone.

View attachment 91792
That you still had this picture from 2008 is unbelievable! That is a masterpiece. It would be great if somebody contacted the people that have the monkey and have it lead the orange power chants one game. The monkey could swivel to look at each side of the stadium during the chant. That would be EPIC!

Oct 6, 2012
Ummmm..... has everybody else forgotten about the big drum??
I've stated this here before but the big bass drum was one of my first memories of oSu football games. I also remember the Orange-Power chant and the crowd chanting "Nutt, Nutt, Nutt" for Houston Nutt to replace Traber. I actually enjoy Traber on the radio (my wife can't stand him), I also enjoyed him at Allie P. as well as following his baseball career. I have nothing against Traber, I just thought the Nutt chant was funny.

On the Traber topic, when he first started on the radio he was an oSu guy. He would have "inside" info that usually turned out to be pretty solid. He would take up for oSu when others would try to talk down about them. Unfortunately, throughout the years the evil empire got to him. He is now admittedly an ou football fan. It's kinda sad really.

Nov 8, 2013
I've stated this here before but the big bass drum was one of my first memories of oSu football games. I also remember the Orange-Power chant and the crowd chanting "Nutt, Nutt, Nutt" for Houston Nutt to replace Traber. I actually enjoy Traber on the radio (my wife can't stand him), I also enjoyed him at Allie P. as well as following his baseball career. I have nothing against Traber, I just thought the Nutt chant was funny.

On the Traber topic, when he first started on the radio he was an oSu guy. He would have "inside" info that usually turned out to be pretty solid. He would take up for oSu when others would try to talk down about them. Unfortunately, throughout the years the evil empire got to him. He is now admittedly an ou football fan. It's kinda sad really.
Traber was the color commentator for the Arizona Diamondbacks during the 2001 World Championship season. He was very good (then again, fans tend to like the announcers/reporters associated with all-time winning teams). I wondered what the big deal was with his Oklahoma radio reputation, and then I listened when I was back home and, well, the reputation was well-earned.

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
Sammamish, Washington.Dallas, Texas.Maui, Hawaii
That you still had this picture from 2008 is unbelievable! That is a masterpiece. It would be great if somebody contacted the people that have the monkey and have it lead the orange power chants one game. The monkey could swivel to look at each side of the stadium during the chant. That would be EPIC!
Washington State still holds this crazy record where their flag has been to every single ESPN game day. If you watch carefully, you’ll see that flag waving every single episode. The monkey should be there too.

Apr 14, 2008
Texas
https://twitter.com/CowboyFB/status/1432387891028705282
"It all started with a chant, WAY BACK IN 1999"

Thanks for making me feel old. They aren't suggesting the chant started back in '99 are they, b/c I recall that back in early '90s. But then again maybe my memory is getting fuzzy with my old age.

Nov 5, 2003
morgantown, wv
"It all started with a chant, WAY BACK IN 1999"

Thanks for making me feel old. They aren't suggesting the chant started back in '99 are they, b/c I recall that back in early '90s. But then again maybe my memory is getting fuzzy with my old age.
The Orange Power chant started in 1978 during a home game with Arkansas. The OSU fans got fed-up with the Sooie Pig chant so we started chanting Orange Power. We lost the game but it was a rare visit to Stillwater for the Hogs.

Last edited:

Jostate

Identifies as a Cowboys fan
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
Actually I think I overheard the monkey calling for Gundy's head yesterday. Not much clapping.

Dec 9, 2013
Both Mr. OP and the Monkey need to be passed down to the next generation. Maybe we have a Mr. Orange Power day where everyone dresses like Mr. Orange Power (full orange coveralls and all). Btw, I happen to know he's still around (a Facebook friend)...not sure why it's rumored that he's hanging it up...Likely just covid and being tired of it. Also a clanging monkey day where the paddle people honor the monkey and operator? Come to think of it, paddle people could honor Mr. Orange Power as well. Both of these fans will be missed.
The VIP leading ORANGE POWER before the game is good but we are missing the timing Mr. Orange Power would bring at key moments in the game. It would be cool to have him don the coveralls in studio and then at key moments in the game the production team to flash up his video overlaid with ORANGE on the north GIA small board followed by his video with POWER overlaid on the south GIA small board.

Pays homage to a great OSU fan and keeps the loud tradition going in game.

andylicious

Territorial Marshal
Nov 16, 2013
tractor

He and his mentor, Bumfuzzled Jones, are both wanna be goons.

Jul 23, 2004
Tulsa, OK
The Orange Power chant started in 1978 during a home game with Arkansas. The OSU fans got fed-up with the Sooie Pig chant so we started chanting Orange Power. We lost the game but it was a rare visit to Stillwater for the Hogs.
Maybe you are thinking 1975. I definitely remember the Orange Power chant in 1976.

I have an audio recording of Bob Barry for the 1976 Bedlam game and he even mentions at one point in the broadcast about the Orange Power cheer starting up there at Owen Field.

Later that year, when we were beating Iowa State in Stillwater in the last regular season game and Kansas State was leading Colorado, instead of ORANGE POWER, the Lewis Field crowd began chanting ORANGE BOWL. If the kitties could have hung on and pulled off the upset, we would have been the Big 8 representatives in the Orange Bowl that year.