Iranian Navy has lost largest warship, catches fire and sinks

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Aug 16, 2012
Wonder if this is related ?

https://twitter.com/politico/status/1400135568881823748
Yep, what I said. It looks to me like they are using their "tender" classification as a support ship that hauls fuel out to other ships to smuggle crude. I can see them stripping the interior of the ship to hold as much crude as possible but safeguards were sacrificed leading to the fire and sinking. Since it is flagged as part of their navy, my guess is they think nobody will stop them. This could get interesting....

Aug 16, 2012
Didn't we just have that very thing happen to one of ours?? I don't think it sank, but I remember they were unable to put out the fire.
Sort of, not really. USS Bonhomme Richard caught fire in San Diego last summer. Took days to put out the fire and they eventually decided the damage was too extensive to save it so it was sold for scrap. Currently under tow awaiting permission to enter the Panama Canal on its way to Texas where it will be broken down. No official word on the cause of the fire but unofficial sources suspect arson. The ship was in the midst of a quarter-billion dollar renovation when the fire happened.