IQ shooting from the hip.

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
Sammamish, Washington.Dallas, Texas.Maui, Hawaii
Can you answer these questions I just put together of weird facts I like to throw at the kids for cash prizes? Here, I’m handing out atta boys or atta girls or atta theys instead of cash. Cause you’re not my children.

1. What is the inclination of our planet?

2. What does the 2 mean after CO2?

3. What does Arctic and Antarctic mean?

4. What causes the Aurora Borealis?

5. What’s the next step?
You have a flat tire.
You have safely parked on a level area and engaged the parking brake.
You have the spare tire removed from its space and ready to put on.
You have also found the jack.

6. What is the winter solstice and when does it occur? Bonus. How many solstices are there?

7. You have a box of matches.
You enter a pitch black room.
You know immediately to the right there is a candle.
You know immediately to the left there’s a gas lantern.
You know right in front of you there’s a wood burning stove.
Which do you light the first?

8. What university did Bullwinkle attend?

9. What is a ground fault interrupter?

10. What equals Pi?

Extra Bonus. What is pluperfect?

Extra Extra Bonus

What’s wrong with this sign?
Picture at bottom.

1. It moves. 22.1 - 24.5 degrees of tilt depending on the part of the oscillation we are in.

Fun info. The quake off Thailand in 04, affected this cycle.

2. It changes the oxygen to oxide.

3. It comes from Greek for bear. Arctic is bear. Antarctic is without bears. Just turned out the way because Arctic was named after the Big Dipper which was what they called “she bear”. Who knows? Maybe the Greeks actually went and saw no bears there.

4. Charged particles from the solar wind following our magnetic poles. Obviously way more involved than this. But this is what dad was looking for.

5. Loosen the lug nuts.

6. It is the exact moment when half of the planet is tilted the furthest from the sun. Generally between December 21 and 22. Also the shortest day light day.
Bonus. There are 2 solstices and 2 equinoxes ( March and September when the sun is right on the equator )

7. The match.

8. Wossamotta U..

9. GFI or GFCI is the electric outlet that pops off if power cycles where it shouldn’t, as in a short.

10. Circumference/diameter.

Pluperfect is a tense. pluperfect tense - a perfective tense used to express action completed in the past; "`I had finished' is an example of the past perfect"

There’s 2 things wrong with the sign

How’d you do?
4CA810AF-2DA4-445D-9BC7-8DDD2964FF76.png

oks10

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 9, 2007
Piedmont, OK
#5 is wrong unless you've got the world's smallest yet strongest fingers and are able to loosen a lug nut without a lug wrench... All you found was the jack...

Aug 16, 2012
Can you answer these questions I just put together of weird facts I like to throw at the kids for cash prizes? Here, I’m handing out atta boys or atta girls or atta theys instead of cash. Cause you’re not my children.

1. What is the inclination of our planet?

2. What does the 2 mean after CO2?

3. What does Arctic and Antarctic mean?

4. What causes the Aurora Borealis?

5. What’s the next step?
You have a flat tire.
You have safely parked on a level area and engaged the parking brake.
You have the spare tire removed from its space and ready to put on.
You have also found the jack.

6. What is the winter solstice and when does it occur? Bonus. How many solstices are there?

7. You have a box of matches.
You enter a pitch black room.
You know immediately to the right there is a candle.
You know immediately to the left there’s a gas lantern.
You know right in front of you there’s a wood burning stove.
Which do you light the first?

8. What university did Bullwinkle attend?

9. What is a ground fault interrupter?

10. What equals Pi?

Extra Bonus. What is pluperfect?

Extra Extra Bonus

What’s wrong with this sign?
Picture at bottom.

1. It moves. 22.1 - 24.5 degrees of tilt depending on the part of the oscillation we are in.

Fun info. The quake off Thailand in 04, affected this cycle.

2. It changes the oxygen to oxide.

3. It comes from Greek for bear. Arctic is bear. Antarctic is without bears. Just turned out the way because Arctic was named after the Big Dipper which was what they called “she bear”. Who knows? Maybe the Greeks actually went and saw no bears there.

4. Charged particles from the solar wind following our magnetic poles. Obviously way more involved than this. But this is what dad was looking for.

5. Loosen the lug nuts.

6. It is the exact moment when half of the planet is tilted the furthest from the sun. Generally between December 21 and 22. Also the shortest day light day.
Bonus. There are 2 solstices and 2 equinoxes ( March and September when the sun is right on the equator )

7. The match.

8. Wossamotta U..

9. GFI or GFCI is the electric outlet that pops off if power cycles where it shouldn’t, as in a short.

10. Circumference/diameter.

Pluperfect is a tense. pluperfect tense - a perfective tense used to express action completed in the past; "`I had finished' is an example of the past perfect"

There’s 2 things wrong with the sign

How’d you do? View attachment 94226
1. Sort of got it, maybe? Said 22.5 which I remember simply because it is 1/16th a circle and as an architect I use geometry stuff all the time.
2. Said two oxygen molecules, Partial credit? (Edit--No credit. Two ATOMS, not molecules).
3. Did not have a clue. Interesting trivia.
4. Said solar wind particles. Have seen it from about 2 hours north of Anchorage so got the insight from locals and also worked with a guy whose dad was the Lockheed Martin Director for the Genesis project that collected solar wind particles (the one that crashed in the Utah desert) and he would tell us all about this stuff. (starting to feel like the kid from Slumdog Millionaire)
5. Personally, I snug up the jack and make sure it is on stable ground before loosening. Miss, I guess
6. Got it.
7. Got it.
8. Said Whatsamatta U. Doubt Alex Trebek would consider that right on final Jeopardy
9. Got it. And a fun fact, if you put one at the first outlet position of a circuit, it can be wired such that all other outlets on the circuit will also be protected. (Pet peeve of mine when I see the likes of Chip Gaines tell people it is going to cost $1500 to replace all the kitchen outlets with GFCI devices when only two are needed (supposed to be two general use circuits for above counters) and one can be purchased and installed for under $50.
10. Said 22/7. Technically right but you went a different direction.

Bonus. Had no idea
Bonus Bonus. Knowing there was something wrong I caught it, but I did miss them the first time I looked at it.

Can I go outside and play now?

Last edited:

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
1. Sort of got it, maybe? Said 22.5 which I remember simply because it is 1/16th a circle and as an architect I use geometry stuff all the time.
2. Said two oxygen molecules, Partial credit? (Edit--No credit. Two ATOMS, not molecules).
3. Did not have a clue. Interesting trivia.
4. Said solar wind particles. Have seen it from about 2 hours north of Anchorage so got the insight from locals and also worked with a guy whose dad was the Lockheed Martin Director for the Genesis project that collected solar wind particles (the one that crashed in the Utah desert) and he would tell us all about this stuff. (starting to feel like the kid from Slumdog Millionaire)
5. Personally, I snug up the jack and make sure it is on stable ground before loosening. Miss, I guess
6. Got it.
7. Got it.
8. Said Whatsamatta U. Doubt Alex Trebek would consider that right on final Jeopardy
9. Got it. And a fun fact, if you put one at the first outlet position of a circuit, it can be wired such that all other outlets on the circuit will also be protected. (Pet peeve of mine when I see the likes of Chip Gaines tell people it is going to cost $1500 to replace all the kitchen outlets with GFCI devices when only two are needed (supposed to be two general use circuits for above counters) and one can be purchased and installed for under $50.
10. Said 22/7. Technically right but you went a different direction.

Bonus. Had no idea
Bonus Bonus. Knowing there was something wrong I caught it, but I did miss them the first time I looked at it.

Can I go outside and play now?
That’d earn you a brand new crisp hundy in my house!

Didn’t know that on the GFI but that’s the one thing I won’t have anything do with on a job site. Too many close calls, I think my body carries an opposite charge than most.

Aug 16, 2012
That’d earn you a brand new crisp hundy in my house!

Didn’t know that on the GFI but that’s the one thing I won’t have anything do with on a job site. Too many close calls, I think my body carries an opposite charge than most.
In newer homes, especially above-counter convenience outlets in kitchens or in bathrooms you may see a little label "GFCI Protected" but it is a standard outlet. Those are the downstream ones protected by the first outlet on the circuit. The label is supposed to be posted but is commonly removed due to cleaning, plate replacement or some people just do not like having the note.

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
In newer homes, especially above-counter convenience outlets in kitchens or in bathrooms you may see a little label "GFCI Protected" but it is a standard outlet. Those are the downstream ones protected by the first outlet on the circuit. The label is supposed to be posted but is commonly removed due to cleaning, plate replacement or some people just do not like having the note.
Now that you said it that way, I reckon we all knew it. We’ve all spent an hour looking for that one upstream outlet hidden in the garage behind the freezer.

Just got word from the judges. Whatsamatta U is acceptable. There’s an extra $25 for you if you ever become one of my kids.

Aug 16, 2012
Now that you said it that way, I reckon we all knew it. We’ve all spent an hour looking for that one upstream outlet hidden in the garage behind the freezer.

Just got word from the judges. Whatsamatta U is acceptable. There’s an extra $25 for you if you ever become one of my kids.
Well at least now I have something to look forward to!!

Aug 16, 2012
That was said earlier but then I’m adding all kinds of extra steps like make sure door is closed and car is off and trunk is open etc.
Am assuming the point to be made was do not jack up the car before loosening the wheel nuts. How you get there, which could reasonably include drinking beer at any part of the process, is up for debate.

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
Am assuming the point to be made was do not jack up the car before loosening the wheel nuts. How you get there, which could reasonably include drinking beer at any part of the process, is up for debate.
Correct. Just like the match.

Every time grades come in they get to pick a subject for dad trivia and they could get extra cash. I also paid big money for As. Wish my parents would of. I pay for Bs too. Cs and you have to clean my truck. Ds and you owe me money. No one challenged me on Fs. And if you get all solid As, there’s no curfew, no rules.

Basically I took all my of my wishes as a kid and made them real for mine. They get to start cussing at 12 with “Hell”. Each year till 16, a new curse is allowed. The beautiful part is just because I’m allowing cussing doesn’t mean I’m allowing where it’s not warranted. And they were warned about intent of the word and respect of it.

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
Btw the sign was from a psychology book in the late 80’s about how we see what we want to see and not really see the truth. I couldn’t find the actual picture but it looks like a real warning sign with the colors of yellow and a triangle shape.

Some people fixate that watch is misspelled but never notice 2 “the”s. I’ve seen several people touch each word and say them and still skip over the second “the”. Very wild. I think this is why some people pull out in front of motorcycles because they weren’t looking for one in the first place. They were looking for a car.

Aug 16, 2012
I also paid big money for As.
I tried that but my kid still did not bring any home due to lack of effort. After Marine Corp training (his decision to go), he got accepted into CU and went lights out. He used to text me his grades asking where his money was!!!
how we see what we want to see
Scotomisation. Learned that from The DaVinci Code

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
I tried that but my kid still did not bring any home due to lack of effort. After Marine Corp training (his decision to go), he got accepted into CU and went lights out. He used to text me his grades asking where his money was!!!

I still do it all the time with animals. I have so many that any time I turn a corner I see one and it takes about tenth a second and then I know if it’s real.

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005

No idea how to parent boys. I exhaust myself.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011

No idea how to parent boys. I exhaust myself.
Wait, so all this is with girls? No wonder.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk