If Football Is Cancelled

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

gundysburner

Banned
Banned
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
PAC12 commissioner Larry Scott on Dan Patrick talking about the new tests. Says schools won't have them until October 1st. 6 of the 12 schools still don't have local clearance for contact practices.

Says it doesn't change their decision not to play this fall, but leaves the door open for it.

gundysburner

Banned
Banned
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
How much TV revenue, etc... will be lost by not playing?

As I said, the conference is offering loans in the $50 million plus range to its' members. Scott didn't say how many schools were taking it, but he said it's there for them. They have to pay it back over time, but apparently, they have access to funds to navigate this.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
How much TV revenue, etc... will be lost by not playing?

As I said, the conference is offering loans in the $50 million plus range to its' members. Scott didn't say how many schools were taking it, but he said it's there for them. They have to pay it back over time, but apparently, they have access to funds to navigate this.
If they actually end up not playing then they'll lose a ton of revenue. If they start playing in January, I dunno. But any way you slice it the Pac-12 is in trouble.

gundysburner

Banned
Banned
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
If they actually end up not playing then they'll lose a ton of revenue. If they start playing in January, I dunno. But any way you slice it the Pac-12 is in trouble.
So the whole point is they're already in debt, so testing's not sustainable?

How could they finance playing the season then, which costs exponentially more than the testing?

Mar 11, 2006
This is speculation:
But my assumption is Pac-12 is under the least amount of pressure to play college football. As we know, a massive chunk of P5 schools athletic budget comes from TV rights for football. ESPN/ABC, Fox, CBS, and NBC (for Notre Dame) pay big $$$$ for those TV rights.

Those rights are broken out by network. ESPN owns the ACC and SEC Network. Fox owns Big10. ESPN and Fox share the Big 12. Contracts are written in a way that if a minimum number of games are not played and offered for TV per year that the conference must pay back a percentage of rights rights. If 0% is played, 0% is owed by the network to pay the conference.

The Pac-12, however, is slightly different than the other P5 conferences. They are the only conference which owns it own network (Pac-12 Network). Granted, they are having problems with the network, ie noted speculation that they are now looking for a buyer. Also, although they own their own network , they do sell many games to ESPN and Fox. However, since they keep their own network, they presumably would not feel full impact of paying back rights fees (ie make-goods). And they would see a significant savings in zero production costs which they have to absorb and other conferences do not.

All that said, testing is peanuts compared to losing a full season of TV rights fees (about $25 million per Pac-12 school per football season).

Boomer.....

Territorial Marshal
Feb 15, 2007
OKC
Utah AD Mark Harlan says department-wide furloughs have begun, along with some layoffs
As the University of Utah athletic department faces a potential loss of $60 million if no football is played this fiscal year, the reality of the situation is hitting those who work there.

Speaking on ESPN700 Friday afternoon, Utah athletic director Mark Harlan said a full department-wide furlough has been implemented. The furlough will include Harlan himself on down through his department, which includes two head coaches, Kyle Whittingham and Larry Krystkowiak, both making north of $3 million annually.

https://www.sltrib.com/sports/utah-utes/2020/09/04/utah-ad-mark-harlan-says/

Mar 11, 2006
5 days ago the official Tennessee football twitter account tweeted out pictures of many members of the team participating in a large protest. Today they announced 44 players are unavailable to practice.

https://twitter.com/tnsports/status/1302321614332334081?s=21

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
5 days ago the official Tennessee football twitter account tweeted out pictures of many members of the team participating in a large protest. Today they announced 44 players are unavailable to practice.

https://twitter.com/tnsports/status/1302321614332334081?s=21
Silly to have allowed them to go to protest in person. Could have had them watch a livestream in their facilities together. Could have held a second demonstration in solidarity but be in the stadium maybe.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
An interesting angle that's come up in the last few days, with the B1G & PAC 12possibly starting their season later is what happens to the playoffs? I agree with Dabo here, screw 'em, they made their bed & now they can lie in it.

For them to qualify for the playoffs, they'd have to begin play October 10th in order to get in a 10 game season. They've got 5 weeks from tomorrow to get started. That's what Dan Patrick is reporting right now & he's not the type to put that out there without some pretty solid info.

https://www.espn.com/college-footba.../clemson-dabo-swinney-cfp-wait-big-ten-pac-12
The schools who are playing should absolutely not be forced to wait until the Big 10 and Pac 12 finish their season.....as you say, mid October would probably be the latest possible. My guess is that they won't make that deadline. In that case, the CFP will happen without them. Then there will be a big push for a split national title saying the winner of the "rose bowl" between the Big 10 and Pac 12 champs should get a natty as well. My bet is that this is granted.

I'm interested to see how rankings are done. Will they continue casting votes for teams that aren't playing or will they remove them? Then will they add them back in if they start playing in November or will they have a separate ranking?

gundysburner

Banned
Banned
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
The schools who are playing should absolutely not be forced to wait until the Big 10 and Pac 12 finish their season.....as you say, mid October would probably be the latest possible. My guess is that they won't make that deadline. In that case, the CFP will happen without them. Then there will be a big push for a split national title saying the winner of the "rose bowl" between the Big 10 and Pac 12 champs should get a natty as well. My bet is that this is granted.

I'm interested to see how rankings are done. Will they continue casting votes for teams that aren't playing or will they remove them? Then will they add them back in if they start playing in November or will they have a separate ranking?
October 10th is the drop dead date. Not enough Saturdays to get the 10 games in otherwise.

So, this means the PAC12 is out, according to what Larry Scott said friday. They won't have the ability to test daily until October, & still have 6 schools whose states won't allow contact practices, so it seems unlikely they could ever make that deadline.

Now, B1G, who knows, but Dan Patrick's been pretty spot on with this stuff so far & I agree with him that we'll likely know their final decision by Tuesday. Personally, I think those guys thought they'd pull the plug & the rest of the world would follow, because, by god we're the B1G!

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011

October 10th is the drop dead date. Not enough Saturdays to get the 10 games in otherwise.

So, this means the PAC12 is out, according to what Larry Scott said friday. They won't have the ability to test daily until October, & still have 6 schools whose states won't allow contact practices, so it seems unlikely they could ever make that deadline.

Now, B1G, who knows, but Dan Patrick's been pretty spot on with this stuff so far & I agree with him that we'll likely know their final decision by Tuesday. Personally, I think those guys thought they'd pull the plug & the rest of the world would follow, because, by god we're the B1G!
Agreed. They pulled the plug too soon and are paying the price for it by having to scramble now.

OrangeFan69

LA Face with an Okla. booty.
A/V Subscriber
Apr 24, 2010
Los Angeles 90046
instagram.com
Silly to have allowed them to go to protest in person. Could have had them watch a livestream in their facilities together. Could have held a second demonstration in solidarity but be in the stadium maybe.

Why wouldn't you allow football players to protest in favor of backing the blue and law enforcement?

OrangeFan69

LA Face with an Okla. booty.
A/V Subscriber
Apr 24, 2010
Los Angeles 90046
instagram.com

I'd be in favor of splitting the national championship/ Rose Bowl Compromise and re-arranging the bowl games for this year only.