If Football Is Cancelled

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Feb 15, 2017
Texas
I don't think they would have legal standing to sue unless the universities were attempting to withhold education.
All they need is for a judge to allow it to continue enough to get discovery phase and they'll show that there was no vote and no real basis.

Or they may show a bias to give Dem's ammo against Trump - "he took college football away from us"

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
The more I think about this, the more I'm coming around to the notion that the safest place for the players is actively participating and being constantly monitored by the medical staff, etc. If they're not doing that, they'll be out among the general student body partying, etc. The real issue to me is the fans. And with games being played outdoors with drastically reduced seating and no tailgating, I really don't see playing as a big problem. I guess maybe the bars will be packed if no tailgating, but that's about the only downside I can think of. It will be fun watching the Huskers play a game in Lincoln in January or February, fans will be keeling over from hypothermia.
The talk was that in January the games are going to be played inside domed facilities only. As for moving it up even further than Thanksgiving, they can't because their players haven't even had a chance to start fall camp let alone be prepared for games.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
The talk was that in January the games are going to be played inside domed facilities only. As for moving it up even further than Thanksgiving, they can't because their players haven't even had a chance to start fall camp let alone be prepared for games.

Nebraska was practicing. I believe they just delayed full contact practices. A full month of practice seems pretty feasible for an October start.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011

Nebraska was practicing. I believe they just delayed full contact practices. A full month of practice seems pretty feasible for an October start.
I'm just going by what they said on the radio this afternoon.

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
I'm just going by what they said on the radio this afternoon.

That who said? Sports talk is like anything else, there are a bunch of idiots out there who talk out of their butts. Having just listened to the Nebraska chancellor, I would guess october is feasible, but the B1G wants to wait until multiple games are played in other conferences to make a decision. If it goes well, they'll start planning for a restart. They may not make that decision until late September which is why it won't be possible to push it up much from Thanksgiving. Still, they could do October if they started planning and committing now.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
All they need is for a judge to allow it to continue enough to get discovery phase and they'll show that there was no vote and no real basis.

Or they may show a bias to give Dem's ammo against Trump - "he took college football away from us"
If they don't have standing, that is, if they can't show that they have been that they have actually been harmed by the season being postponed from Fall to Spring, the judge cannot allow the case to continue. Lacking standing means that they have no legal basis to file a suit in the first place.

Even if they somehow have standing, what is the legal remedy? Do you think the courts can force other players to play in order to remedy these 8? The only thing the court could do would be to assess damages and give a monetary award.

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
I'm just listening to this now, haven't finished it.
Edit: Not much decided, judge basically put off any decision until next week. Still interesting to hear the arguments, somebody more knowledgeable in law than I will have to say whether they have standing or not.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2007
Word is leaking out that the Big 10 plans to vote on whether or not to have a fall season tomorrow. They could start as early as October 10th.

gundysburner

Banned
Banned
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
Word is leaking out that the Big 10 plans to vote on whether or not to have a fall season tomorrow. They could start as early as October 10th.

The problem with the re-vote, as I see it, is that it's a bit of a lose-lose scenario for the Chancellors/Presidents. Do you re-vote & basically say 'yeah, our decision 2 weeks ago was completely hasty, disorganized & rushed, we blew it", or god forbid, they have a real problem with outbreaks that shuts the season down, then the outrage police will want 'em hanged in the campus square.

I still say they went way too early with their decision & should have waited.

gundysburner

Banned
Banned
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
Can't imagine this being sustainable. We just got through testing our entire employee pool at work (300+ employees) and I heard it cost us $39k+.
Some of the new saliva tests are reportedly as cheap as $4 each, so I think the sustainability's close to being a reality. The PAC12 has already offered loans to its' member schools somewhere north of $50 million.

I work with the University of Colorado athletes & trainers & one of the trainers & I were talking about this test a couple of weeks ago & they were pretty pissed about the PAC12 pulling the plug so soon because of this exact scenario.

gundysburner

Banned
Banned
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
An interesting angle that's come up in the last few days, with the B1G & PAC 12possibly starting their season later is what happens to the playoffs? I agree with Dabo here, screw 'em, they made their bed & now they can lie in it.

For them to qualify for the playoffs, they'd have to begin play October 10th in order to get in a 10 game season. They've got 5 weeks from tomorrow to get started. That's what Dan Patrick is reporting right now & he's not the type to put that out there without some pretty solid info.

https://www.espn.com/college-footba.../clemson-dabo-swinney-cfp-wait-big-ten-pac-12

Last edited:
May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
Can't imagine this being sustainable. We just got through testing our entire employee pool at work (300+ employees) and I heard it cost us $39k+.
Tests supposedly cost $5. Even with 400 athletes, that's 2k per day. They'd incur an extra 730k if they did it for a full year (they won't). That's peanuts compared to the millions they're losing.