I re-watched last years Texas game last night...

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Oct 16, 2003
Edmond, OK
Geez, talk about giving a game away.

* OSU undefeated and ranked #6 going into the game.
* 3 first half turnovers yielded 13 Texas points.
* OSU still leads 24-20 at half. Should probably be no worse than 24-7
* OSU scores first in 3rd quarter to go up 31-20.
* Next play, Texas returns a 100 yard kick return for a TD,
* Missed extra point makes it 31-26
* Cowboy turnover on the Texas 31 with 12:15 to play in game.
* Texas can't get across mid-field, line-up to punt.
* Cowboys appear to have the chance to get the ball back and run out clock.
* Cowboys get called for Roughing the Kicker. Texas keeps the ball.
* 10 plays later, Texas scores TD. Goes for 2 and converts. Take lead 34-31. 8 more points off Cowboy turnovers.
* Cowboys get the ball back. Dillon Stoner appears to convert the 3rd down. Replay review reverses what by all accounts appears to be a complete pass. Pokes have to punt.
* Cowboy D holds Texas, Pokes get the ball back with 1:13.
* 7 plays later, Cowboys tie it up with a 34-yard Alex Hale field goal.
* We go to Overtime.
* Texas scores a TD on their possession.
* Cowboys get the ball. Sanders throws a 14-yard TD strike to Jelani Woods it appears to tie the game and go to OT2.
* An ineligible player downfield penalty nullifies the TD.
* 5 plays later, Sanders is sacked on 4th down to the end game.
* Texas converts 4 Cowboy turnovers for 21 points.
* Undefeated #6 Cowboys lose at home to unranked Texas, 41-34 in overtime.

What a miserable game. Any one of maybe 8 plays goes different and we probably win the game. Absent the roughing the kicker penalty, we probably could still have won the game. Geez...

Jul 5, 2020
Broken Arrow

* 10 plays later, Texas scores TD. Goes for 2 and converts. Take lead 34-31. 8 more points off Cowboy turnovers.
* Cowboys get the ball back. Dillon Stoner appears to convert the 3rd down. Replay review reverses what by all accounts appears to be a complete pass. Pokes have to punt.
* We go to Overtime.
* Cowboys get the ball. Sanders throws a 14-yard TD strike to Jelani Woods it appears to tie the game and go to OT2.

What a miserable game. Any one of maybe 8 plays goes different and we probably win the game. Absent the roughing the kicker penalty, we probably could still have won the game. Geez...
Absolutely no flame or malicious intent with this question; just genuinely interested in the mindset behind such decisions. What led you to want to watch this replay, or any similar game that we lose? I just can’t imagine going back through that experience.

TheMonkey

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 16, 2004
DFW
Absolutely no flame or malicious intent with this question; just genuinely interested in the mindset behind such decisions. What led you to want to watch this replay, or any similar game that we lose? I just can’t imagine going back through that experience.
I was at my son’s soccer match watching the updates on the ESPN app last year. I went home, cranked up the TV and DVR and promptly deleted that Mother Hubbard Fluster Cluck without blinking an eye.

Oct 16, 2003
Edmond, OK
"Absolutely no flame or malicious intent with this question; just genuinely interested in the mindset behind such decisions. What led you to want to watch this replay, or any similar game that we lose? I just can’t imagine going back through that experience"

Fair question....

Part of my preseason ritual every year is to go back and watch several games from the prior year, just to remind me of who/what we have coming back. I tend to watch games against the better teams first, as I think that is more informative than watching a 40 point drubbing of Baylor.

I am particularly perplexed this season by some of the teams we beat last year (Miami/Iowa State) as well as a Texas team (which I really think we were superior to last year) starting in this seasons preseason Top-25 while we are not. Specifically:

* #2 - Oklahoma. Ok, I get that one.
* #7 - Iowa State. I mean we did beat them.
* #14 - Miami. Hello, we beat them in our Bowl game.
* #21 - Texas. Yes we lost to them in OT, but we self-destructed. They weren't better.

I've watched our games against Miami and Texas. I'll watch Iowa State this weekend. Probably won't watch Bedlam.

The Miami game was fun to watch. We won that game largely with players who are coming back this season (at least on offense). Gives me some optimism if we beat decisively in our last game what folks think is the #14 team going in to this season.

I just know we've had really good success against Iowa State and Texas in recent years. Yes, I know they are road games this year. Yes I know we don't have Wallace and Hubbard. But, I still think we compare quite favorably to Texas and ISU this year. I'm just not convinced they are deserving of a preseason ranking when we aren't.

Re-watching these games (even some that we lost) is making me feel more excited and optimistic about the season ahead. Can't wait to play 'ball.

Jul 5, 2020
Broken Arrow
"Absolutely no flame or malicious intent with this question; just genuinely interested in the mindset behind such decisions. What led you to want to watch this replay, or any similar game that we lose? I just can’t imagine going back through that experience"

Fair question....

Part of my preseason ritual every year is to go back and watch several games from the prior year, just to remind me of who/what we have coming back. I tend to watch games against the better teams first, as I think that is more informative than watching a 40 point drubbing of Baylor.

I am particularly perplexed this season by some of the teams we beat last year (Miami/Iowa State) as well as a Texas team (which I really think we were superior to last year) starting in this seasons preseason Top-25 while we are not. Specifically:

* #2 - Oklahoma. Ok, I get that one.
* #7 - Iowa State. I mean we did beat them.
* #14 - Miami. Hello, we beat them in our Bowl game.
* #21 - Texas. Yes we lost to them in OT, but we self-destructed. They weren't better.

I've watched our games against Miami and Texas. I'll watch Iowa State this weekend. Probably won't watch Bedlam.

The Miami game was fun to watch. We won that game largely with players who are coming back this season (at least on offense). Gives me some optimism if we beat decisively in our last game what folks think is the #14 team going in to this season.

I just know we've had really good success against Iowa State and Texas in recent years. Yes, I know they are road games this year. Yes I know we don't have Wallace and Hubbard. But, I still think we compare quite favorably to Texas and ISU this year. I'm just not convinced they are deserving of a preseason ranking when we aren't.

Re-watching these games (even some that we lost) is making me feel more excited and optimistic about the season ahead. Can't wait to play 'ball.
And a fair enough response that I think I can understand, thanks. Now for the more important question: did we do any better the second time around? ;)

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
I will go to my grave never understanding why we called for the punt block there. You are ahead late in the game and your offense is moving the ball pretty well....just set up a return.

That game was also the breaking point where I will never forgive Gundy for not having a special teams coordinator. Two special teams breakdowns cost us a trip to the conference title game, when changing just 1 of them would've changed the outcome of the game.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth

* We go to Overtime.

It's games like this with obvious calls that remove wins and change outcomes in this game and the bedlam games every year that make me totally fine with texas and ou leaving the conference. The stripes will no longer have financially ingrained biases for those two programs. Look for them both to lose far more games than in the past...especially ou. They are about to get their ego's lowered a notch or two without the refs to protect that program in conference...btw, look at their bowl record compared to conference record for more evidence if you don't believe me.

Last edited:

OstatePokes

Territorial Marshal
Aug 24, 2007
Knoxville, Tennessee
I will go to my grave never understanding why we called for the punt block there. You are ahead late in the game and your offense is moving the ball pretty well....just set up a return.

That game was also the breaking point where I will never forgive Gundy for not having a special teams coordinator. Two special teams breakdowns cost us a trip to the conference title game, when changing just 1 of them would've changed the outcome of the game.
I remember a similar punt block in College Station when Gundy first started. Mind boggling.

Jostate

Identifies as a Cowboys fan
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
I was at my son’s soccer match watching the updates on the ESPN app last year. I went home, cranked up the TV and DVR and promptly deleted that Mother Hubbard Fluster Cluck without blinking an eye.
Nothing better than watching your kid's soccer with our game being recorded so you have that waiting when you get home. That's a perfect day, until of course we jack it up with something stupid like that.

Last edited:

OSU79

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 22, 2009
Back home in God's (Green) Country
Nothing better than watching your kid's soccer with our game being recorded so you have that waiting when you get home. That's a perfect day, until of course we jack it up with something stupid like that.
Except when THAT GUY feels the need to track you from 80 yards away, where you have strategically and obviously positioned yourself to avoid hearing anything about the Bedlam game, to congratulate you on the Cowboys being up 2 TDs in the first quarter. And then soldiering on through the soccer game and the hour drive home knowing how bad its going to hurt when the goons and the refs rip your heart out in the evening.

Jostate

Identifies as a Cowboys fan
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
Except when THAT GUY feels the need to track you from 80 yards away, where you have strategically and obviously positioned yourself to avoid hearing anything about the Bedlam game, to congratulate you on the Cowboys being up 2 TDs in the first quarter. And then soldiering on through the soccer game and the hour drive home knowing how bad its going to hurt when the goons and the refs rip your heart out in the evening.
I want to have an Orange shirt made that's OSU but also says on front and back, "don't tell me I DVR'd it".

NinjaPoke

Deputy
A/V Subscriber
Jul 9, 2016
Lawton, OK
Had to bring this back from the dead.

Sanders played a great game against Texas last year. We didn’t lose because of him. Granted, he is responsible for 2 out of the 4 turnovers, but let’s look at the turnovers again.

1st turnover as you mentioned was an exchange between him and Hubbard which led to a fumble. After replay, it’s clear that it was on Hubbard who fumbled the ball. Texas would score 7 points.

2nd turnover is 100% on Sanders. It was his only pick of the game. Ball was under thrown. Led to 3 points.

3rd turnover came again from Sanders. While sitting in the pocket, Sanders was sacked while trying to throw the ball, leading to Texas getting 6 points (missed FG).

4th Turnover came from LD brown. Dude just fumbled the ball while getting hit. This would lead to our defense getting Texas to punt and then a roughing the punter call which would lead to Texas scoring 8 points. 21 points in total of our 4 turnovers.

The ‘20 Texas game is remembered to be Sanders fault, but in fact Sanders went
27 out 39 completions with 400 passing yards and 4 TDs. 1 interception. Run game was basically absent this game. Despite the loss, this is one of Sanders best games.

Now that we have a more improved O-line (which isn’t saying much), a decent run game, stronger defense than last year, and a more improved Sanders (he had a bad game against Baylor but has been playing relatively well)

This is why I believe we are going to win in Austin next week. Book it.

Sep 12, 2013
Broken Arrow, OK
Had to bring this back from the dead.

Sanders played a great game against Texas last year. We didn’t lose because of him. Granted, he is responsible for 2 out of the 4 turnovers, but let’s look at the turnovers again.

One thing you didn't see last year that we will definitely see this year?

A healthy dose of Bijan Robinson. Herman is/was an idiot and proof there are fans smarter than the coach.

Jun 16, 2008
Maryland
Totally get that... I was on a date with my now wife at a restaraunt/bar that had the 2011 ISU game on trying to avoid seeing it because I know it was getting recorded. Some douche kept making comments and even told me we lost as the two of us were heading out. She got mad at me when I walked away for a bit because I was getting seriously pissed at the dude.