I am now a Spencer Sanders fan

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 24, 2011
Like it or hate it, Sanders is our horse. This isn't changing barring injury. So we had better start cheering him on because as Sanders goes, so goes OSU this year. He has the tools, he just has to get better at using them. To be fair, we have been stuck with qb's who didn't have even average talent. The upside for Sanders is high. We may never see it, but it is there. So I have decided to become a Spencer Sanders fan. Get some confidence, get better, and see how far you can take this team.

Sep 30, 2013
plus.google.com
Like it or hate it, Sanders is our horse. This isn't changing barring injury. So we had better start cheering him on because as Sanders goes, so goes OSU this year. He has the tools, he just has to get better at using them. To be fair, we have been stuck with qb's who didn't have even average talent. The upside for Sanders is high. We may never see it, but it is there. So I have decided to become a Spencer Sanders fan. Get some confidence, get better, and see how far you can take this team.
In recent years (15 years or so), I believe oSu has had pretty good luck finding good, occasionally great (Weeden, Rudolph) quarterbacks. Apparently, you disagree. So which of oSu's recent QBs would you consider to be below average?

Feb 24, 2020
oklahoma
His abilities pair well with this OL, that’s why he’s the best man for the job. That said, he’s still a better athlete than he is a QB. This team will as far as the defense takes them. After all, we’re 3-0 because of Jim Knowles and his players. All sanders has to do at this point is keep the turnovers at a bare minimum

Sep 30, 2008
I wouldn't mind seeing a couple drives a game with Shane playing between the 20s and Spencer in the red zone ala 2014 Rudolph-Walsh. Maybe that would open up some of the throwing playbook a bit more. Also a few of those dual qb plays Gleason was supposed to bring in would be interesting with Shane under center and Sanders as a run/throw threat. At least with Hunter back, the O-line looks a little better. Next, we need the receivers back.

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
Sammamish, Washington.Dallas, Texas.Maui, Hawaii
I said I wouldn’t mind more plays designed for his feet and was not disappointed. I saw something yesterday I had not seen in SS to date. 3rd quarter on a called qb run, he picked 4 or 5 yards and when he got up, even the camera man saw it and zoomed in. Almost as if it were the very moment he grew up. There was a determined look for once. Not out of haste like he just fumbled and wants it back, no it was like he knew we already won the game. Like he’s got this no problem. Never seen him have “the look” before. Looked good on him too.

Jul 31, 2012
Near Ardmore, Okla
In recent years (15 years or so), I believe oSu has had pretty good luck finding good, occasionally great (Weeden, Rudolph) quarterbacks. Apparently, you disagree. So which of oSu's recent QBs would you consider to be below average?

I could be wrong…Weeden fell in our laps when his professional baseball career was over and he wanted to get an education. He came to us to be a walk-on. Not us recruiting him.

As for recent OSU qb….Dax popped in my head

Mar 8, 2010
Your post lost its credibility when you said all our previous quarterbacks had average ability. Ridiculous statement!

Nov 27, 2007
Tulsa
I have a weird opinion.

We’re not good enough on the online to be effective at the RPO. Sanders is a good runner, not a great runner. He’s a capable passer but not consistent or what I would call good when compared to his peers. His running abilities do not off-set his sub-par passing abilities.

I think in our current RPO scheme with the situation we have with our line and WRs, Sanders gives us the best chance to “win now.” That being said I don’t think that’s what’s best for the program.

We have been at our best when we play with a quick tempo. Have a qb that can get rid of the ball quickly on a number of quick routes which opens the run game.

We have that QB in Shane I believe but we have to reinstall that system that will maximize his talents rather than this ineffective offensive scheme that we’re running now.

I think if we rip the bandaid off and start building to the future, we will be much better off as a program. Admittedly, there will be some growing pains and games we feel we would have won had Sanders been the QB, but I think it will be worth it in the long run.

Even if SS improves, WRs improve, online improves I still don’t see this offense having the potential of an SI ran air attack.

I think it’s time we focus on the future, rip off that band-aid and live the growing pains now so that over the next few years we experience the type of success offensively that we’re used to.

Mar 17, 2006
Edmond, Ok
Sanders has been disappointing, no doubt.

He's had a few things stacked against him, injuries at just about every position for one, but still needs to be better.

But to me, if he's the guy, let him play.

If you don't trust him to make some basic throws, bench him and go with Illingsworth.

Yes the heavy run strategy worked last night (almost backfired except for official's whistle), but in order to win at the level OSU wants to, he's going to have to throw the ball 20-30 times a game and make some plays down the field.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
I wouldn't mind seeing a couple drives a game with Shane playing between the 20s and Spencer in the red zone ala 2014 Rudolph-Walsh. Maybe that would open up some of the throwing playbook a bit more. Also a few of those dual qb plays Gleason was supposed to bring in would be interesting with Shane under center and Sanders as a run/throw threat. At least with Hunter back, the O-line looks a little better. Next, we need the receivers back.
Passing game sucked because we had too many receivers on the sidelines of practice the last 2 weeks and had to throw freshman to the wolves.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

GodsPeace

Joshua 1:9
Aug 20, 2004
Stillwater
Sanders has been disappointing, no doubt.

He's had a few things stacked against him, injuries at just about every position for one, but still needs to be better.

But to me, if he's the guy, let him play.

If you don't trust him to make some basic throws, bench him and go with Illingsworth.

Yes the heavy run strategy worked last night (almost backfired except for official's whistle), but in order to win at the level OSU wants to, he's going to have to throw the ball 20-30 times a game and make some plays down the field.
I agree with this.

Jan 2, 2005
Two reasons we won the game: Jaylen Warren’s running was strong and extended the offensive time of possession to give the defense a blow to be dominant in the second half. That’s it.

Jun 13, 2010
Chicago
I still honestly think both Sanders or Illingworth could improve significantly. I understand wanting to make Illingworth wait for Sanders (the only flaw with this is that Sanders isn't good enough to go to the NFL early). Regardless, either would suffer from a tight leash and uncomplimentary game planning and play calling.

I'm also equally glad that Illingworth beat MOST and Sanders beat TUL and BSU. SS obviously has the better win... that's yet another good reason to roll with him. I'd be fine if we instead went with SI, who may have a higher upside as a pure pocket passer.

We have a coaching controversy, not a QB controversy.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.