Hurricane Ian

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
I'm still not understanding why they ignored their own Emergency preparedness plans for evacuation ?? Nothing about this decision process is making any sense at all

https://twitter.com/wxyzdetroit/status/1576915871292964867

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
Something weird happened in Lee County and it has cost a LOT of lives. The didn't issue an evacuation order until the day before though every county around them did days prior to them.

They intentionally didn't follow their own emergency prep protocols and warnings issued, and now DeSantis is lying about it saying the Hurricane was never in the cone of trajectory ...and trying to blame Meteorologists and Media for the forecast.....trying in what I can only assume is him trying to cover for the Local Officials ?

https://twitter.com/DrEricDing/status/1576885495740911616

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
No clue if this is true or Not regarding the bodies of kids...but NOT evacuating the Juvi Detention Center in the middle of a Hurricane IS TRUE..

https://twitter.com/alexisnaniya/status/1576931025262825472/photo/1

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
9 min interval between the partial evac order and the Mandatory Evac order...... less than 24hrs before the storm arrival. That is the time frame that Lee County gave from issuing PARTIAL evacuation order....to Full Evacuation order.

All other surrounding counties had already issued mandatory evac orders at least 24 hours prior.

So they don't follow their own protocols and disaster planning they had adopted.

They don't issue a mandatory evac order when everyone else does around them.

They issue a Partial and volunteer Evac order less than 24 hrs prior to the storm hitting........and then 9 minutes later issue a FULL MANDATORY EVAC order.

Somebody screwed up

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
I don't think DeSantis blaming the Weather Forecasters and saying they never said it would hit Lee county is going to hold up

https://twitter.com/DawnandKevin1/status/1576948616534855680/photo/1

CowboyOrangeFan

Mmmm, yeah.
A/V Subscriber
Jun 9, 2006
Florida
As someone who lives in one of those surrounding counties, I do find the timing of the Lee County evacuation orders odd. I also think that Ron Desantis is an absolute POS. So, it is going to make me angry when I end up having to take his side over this. He is an a-hole and he is always on the defensive, but the shots I have seen people taking at him over this don’t seem warranted.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
As someone who lives in one of those surrounding counties, I do find the timing of the Lee County evacuation orders odd. I also think that Ron Desantis is an absolute POS. So, it is going to make me angry when I end up having to take his side over this. He is an a-hole and he is always on the defensive, but the shots I have seen people taking at him over this don’t seem warranted.
Yeah, Not his fault for the actions leading up to and during the storm....however him defending those actions the local officials took. He needs to stop defending them, blaming meteorologists and weather people and trying to make excuses. He needs to step up as a leader and demand answers.

Their evacuation prep says that if there is a 10% or higher chance of a 6ft storm surge, then mandatory evac needs to happen. 48 hrs prior to the storm hitting the chance of a 6ft storm surge for the county was forecast at 40%.....4 x higher than their mandatory evac and they DID NOT issue an evac order until less than 24hrs before landfall and only 9 min AFTER issuing a partial evac order.......and unfortunately the storm surge hit the area at 15 FT..more than double the forecast which was already 4x higher than their threshold to issue emergency and mandatory evac orders.

Last edited:

kaboy42

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2007
apparently

https://twitter.com/APFactCheck/status/1575628269390553091
I live just hundreds of yards from one of the bayou's down here between Galveston and South Houston now. This drastically changes my (inexperienced) cavalier attitude towards hurricane preparedness of "hell, I've got a lifted truck with a snorkel and kayaks". :glare::derp:

That, and all the damned 10 ft gators that routinely hit the news down here. :runaway::lol:

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
Uhh sometimes you have to take some SELF RESPONSIBILITY.

If your house was on fire would you get mad at the firemen not showing up quickly enough to pull you out of your own house?

Everyone here seems to have made bad decisions...the local govt,, the state....the residents

https://twitter.com/AbbyMcclaran/status/1576334875925233664?t=TTSNKdJAIJ-zQ077T91HUQ&s=19

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked

If your house was on fire would you get mad at the firemen not showing up quickly enough to pull you out of your own house?

Everyone here seems to have made bad decisions...the local govt,, the state....the residents

https://twitter.com/AbbyMcclaran/status/1576334875925233664?t=TTSNKdJAIJ-zQ077T91HUQ&s=19
I grew up in Mobile, AL. Hurricane season is a thing. We all know its a thing. Every year. We all know the risks, and we know they're coming days or even weeks in advance. They follow tropical depressions, storms, and actual hurricanes from Africa all the way to the Gulf. There is ample time to prepare. Even in the 80's and 90's when weather tech and communications weren't nearly as good as today, we felt informed and ready to decide for ourselves when to leave.

I cannot understand how, in 2022, a person would be so un-informed, helpless, or reliant on a government agency that they cannot judge a situation and evacuate as needed. Waiting on an official evacuation order is stupid.

oks10

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 9, 2007
Piedmont, OK

Yeah, if you had twitter at your fingertips, you had the resources to know you needed to leave without the government telling you to. That's not at all a defense or justification of the failure to issue the evacuation in time but you HAVE to have some personal accountability. Like how we don't wait for Tornado warnings to get our storm shelters ready and we don't even see the big nasty storm coming days ahead either.

Last edited:

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
Yeah, if you had twitter at your fingertips, you had the resources to know you needed to leave without the government telling you to. That's not at all a defense or justification of the failure to issue the evacuation in time but you HAVE to have some personal accountability. Like how don't wait for Tornado warnings to get our storm shelters ready and we don't even see the big nasty storm coming days ahead either.
Even in the 80's and 90's, you just watched any news station or listened to the radio even. They are all telling you what's coming for several days in advance. Unless a person is physically or mentally disabled to the point that they need caretakers, there is absolutely no excuse for people "not knowing" when to leave.

I still remember the reports leading up to the hurricanes every year where a big one's approaching, and they'd have reporters on a barrier island interviewing residents who weren't going to leave, because "we've never left for a hurricane, and we've been here since [insert year]". Then you see the reports a few days later that the barrier island has moved or been wiped out.

This isn't like a tornado where you're making split-second decisions where seconds or minutes matter. These people have DAYS of time to prep and decide with infinite communication, technology, and resources to acquire info.

SLVRBK

Johnny 8ball's PR Manager
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Oct 16, 2003
Katy, TX
During Harvey every forecaster in town and the County Judge were warning about the potential for up to 50 inches of rain and suggesting that people who live in the most flood prone areas should evacuate. Houston Mayor said don’t listen to them they don’t know what they’re talking about.

County Judge was voted out of office and the Houston Mayor was re-elected. On the Gulf Coast you have to intentionally not pay attention to not understand the danger of an incoming storm.

ramases2112

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Jun 28, 2008
Inside the Basket of Deplorables
www.reddit.com
Full on assault on Ron by liberal media desperate to knock him down. Was listening to Shapiro before this thing hit and he rightly predicted it. They tried to do it too early and got slapped down but it hastn stopped them from using the hurricane. I expect him to be blamed for the hurricane even hitting florida within the week.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
Full on assault on Ron by liberal media desperate to knock him down. Was listening to Shapiro before this thing hit and he rightly predicted it. They tried to do it too early and got slapped down but it hastn stopped them from using the hurricane. I expect him to be blamed for the hurricane even hitting florida within the week.
From what I've seen, there seems to be a sentiment that this is the first time a hurricane has ever hit Florida, and the only explanation is man-made global warming.