How Much Do We Really Care About Softball?

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

andylicious

Territorial Marshal
Nov 16, 2013
tractor
Right now Softball is pretty dang important. Go Cowgirls!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I have seen us cheer on everything from cross country to equestrian, that's a great thing. Right now I would not place basketball above either softball or baseball. Softball is definitely ahead of women's basketball and if the facilities were better would be on the road to catching up with basketball, period. They may have passed one of the most storied wrestling programs in the world. If we are going to make athletics pay we have to be willing to look at everything as what it's potential is, not what it has been.

Mar 8, 2010
The real question is would you trade 10 softball NCs for 1 football NC? Fans at most major universities would

Yes. I would, because the national exposure from one football NC would add hard dollars and national prestige to the school far beyond what 10 NC’s in any minor sport might bring.

Mar 8, 2010
The real question is would you trade 10 softball NCs for 1 football NC? Fans at most major universities would

Yes. I would, because the national exposure from one football NC would add hard dollars and national prestige to the school far beyond what 10 NC’s in any minor sport might bring.

Apr 13, 2021
Northern California
1. Football
2. Men’s basketball
3. Women’s basketball
4. Baseball
5. Softball

The best way to make it rain is not having non revenue producing sports. Having a college softball program that pays for itself should be the goal. There is zero doubt the product on the field isn't worthy of that goal. Being good in sports across the board is the oSu tradition. IMO which is vastly superior than OU fans getting excited about a program that must lie, cheat, and steal to be better than average.

Sep 29, 2006
The best way to make it rain is not having non revenue producing sports. Having a college softball program that pays for itself should be the goal. There is zero doubt the product on the field isn't worthy of that goal. Being good in sports across the board is the oSu tradition. IMO which is vastly superior than OU fans getting excited about a program that must lie, cheat, and steal to be better than average.
Well I’m not going to renew my 4 Football Club seats and 4 200 level basketball seats to support the Softball and Baseball teams.

Dec 17, 2011
Softball is way too fun to watch. I mean it's a treat everytime I get to watch Kelly maxwell pitch. Have you seen her? She gives zero f's if she makes a mistake. She is one of the most ice cold players I've ever seen.

Nov 27, 2007
Tulsa
A fair question. I surveyed my Sooner Friends, Both Alumni and Just Fans, How much do you really care about OU softball, and for that matter baseball? I presented this scenario? If you had to pick one. OU wins the national championship in softball or baseball, but you have to lose to Texas in football? Other choice, a guaranteed win against Texas in football, but softball and baseball have zero chance for a national championship. What do you choose? Everyone said the guaranteed win against Texas in football. The reality is the mighty Sooner softball program, and definitely baseball is a time filler between football recruiting, spring football, and fall football. My question is how do we feel about other OSU sports and opportunities for success vs football? In my humble opinion as an OSU graduate and supporter, I would take an OSU softball or baseball national championship over a single football win versus Texas. I was just curious how my fellow OSU alums and fans feel about this?

Care is a tricky word.

To some it means total support.

To others it means you wish it well.

I invest a lot of time, energy, money, and focus in cowboy football. College football has always been a passion of mine.

Being a father of 2 under 5, having a demanding career, actively involved in my church, keeping an active social circle and being an avid outdoorsman - I honestly don’t have the bandwidth to pour into any other sport (amateur or Professional).

So I come on here or Twitter and see how things are going. When championship time comes around I may pay a little attention, and I am genuinely proud of the other sport teams. I would hate to see the teams get canceled and would support decisions from our leadership in how much we support and invest into those programs.

Does that mean I care? I honestly don’t know.

For me, the excitement level with a football win over OU or UT is much higher than a CWS or WCWS championship but that is because I’m passionate about football. I’m sure if I put more in, I’d get more out of other sports.

Last edited:

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
Hypothetical question is hypothetical. I can attest that there are sooner fans who care about the spring sports. Had dinner with my brother last night and he was checking the ou baseball score on his phone just as much as I was checking the OSU score on mine. I have a coworker who has watched nearly every televised inning of ou softball this year. Of course both of those people are ou alumni which are different than your average bandwagon fan.

There is no denying though that football is king and doing well in that sport benefits all the others. Luckily I will never be faced with a decision between a football natty and 10 other natty's...I can easily just cheer for both to happen because it's never going to be an either/or. So yes, I care about softball....go Cowgirls!

Jul 9, 2011
Carlos, TX
I guess I am more of an OSU fan than a specific sports fan. I watched a lot of sporting events that involved OSU that I would not have paid attention to otherwise. I'd probably watch a chess match if it were an OSU team versus another good school. I root for success across the board and don't think it's an "either/or" decision.

That said, I am financially comfortable, but not rich and I have retired in central Texas so I have to be a little selective on what I physically attend. I support OSU when the teams are on the road down this way (Waco, College Station, Austin, Fort Worth), and I try to get go back to Stilly once or twice a year, fall and spring. First preference is a football, because of the campus excitment/tailgating on game day. Second choice is baseball, because I played a lot of it. Love basketball and wrestling, but that time of year it always seems more difficult for me to get up to Stillwater. Lots of great memoires there.

Jul 9, 2011
Carlos, TX
I've only listened to him a few times as well, and have heard it espoused more than once.
Hypothetical question is hypothetical. I can attest that there are sooner fans who care about the spring sports. Had dinner with my brother last night and he was checking the ou baseball score on his phone just as much as I was checking the OSU score on mine. I have a coworker who has watched nearly every televised inning of ou softball this year. Of course both of those people are ou alumni which are different than your average bandwagon fan.

There is no denying though that football is king and doing well in that sport benefits all the others. Luckily I will never be faced with a decision between a football natty and 10 other natty's...I can easily just cheer for both to happen because it's never going to be an either/or. So yes, I care about softball....go Cowgirls!
Agree with this big time. There is a difference between an alum and just an "OU fan". For years OU served as a substitute for the pro sport franchise we did not have in Oklahoma for a lot of everyday Oklahomans.

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
A/V Subscriber
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
I'd be happy with football going back to early 90s levels if it meant the wrestling program went on a 10 year national title run.

PokeJ

Territorial Marshal
Oct 27, 2003
McKinney, TX
Visit site
I'd be happy with football going back to early 90s levels if it meant the wrestling program went on a 10 year national title run.
And have to endure Pat Jones? I'd rather have a prostate exam.
I’m the opposite. I’d trade every Wrestling championship we’ve ever won for one in football.

Sep 8, 2012
Fort Worth
There are exceptions to every rule as certain individuals can be interested in certain sports, but the general rule of thumb for the entire midwest/south at least... (as proven by many different metrics - TV ratings, media coverage, Attendance, money poured into programs, water cooler talk, message board threads...)

Tier 1 - Football

Tier 2 - Basketball (a few select schools with this as #1)

Tier 3 - Baseball and any sport besides the top 2 the school might be historically good at (ex: OSU wrestling(

Tier 4: Whatever sport your school happens to be good at that year

For sure, if I flip on the TV or notice OSU softball is playing for a chance at a national title, I will pay attention and obviously I will root for them. But the level of intensity in the interest as a general fanbase isn't even close. That loss last night sucked, but it is nothing compared to the pain of losing that Baylor game...or the many close bedlam games.

CowboyHoopsPride

Territorial Marshal
Feb 18, 2009
I heard this exact comment made when the UT Austin and Norman campus were at the height of realignment talk. Had we played for and won the 2011 championship the argument being made was no way we get left behind. Don’t know whether or not that’s true but that’s what they said.

Was a national broadcast on XM 84 so wasn’t just some local out of Tulsa or OKC.

CowboyHoopsPride

Territorial Marshal
Feb 18, 2009
There are exceptions to every rule as certain individuals can be interested in certain sports, but the general rule of thumb for the entire midwest/south at least... (as proven by many different metrics - TV ratings, media coverage, Attendance, money poured into programs, water cooler talk, message board threads...)

Tier 1 - Football

Tier 2 - Basketball (a few select schools with this as #1)

Tier 3 - Baseball and any sport besides the top 2 the school might be historically good at (ex: OSU wrestling(

Tier 4: Whatever sport your school happens to be good at that year

For sure, if I flip on the TV or notice OSU softball is playing for a chance at a national title, I will pay attention and obviously I will root for them. But the level of intensity in the interest as a general fanbase isn't even close. That loss last night sucked, but it is nothing compared to the pain of losing that Baylor game...or the many close bedlam games.
Losing to Georgia Tech in San Antonio, the way we did, to a player that was committed to us, without Weatherspoon in the game to guard him, is one of the few non-football losses that felt anything like December did that I can think of. And that was 18 years ago.