How Much Do We Really Care About Softball?

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Sep 29, 2005
NW OKC
www.thomasandcathy.blogspot.com
A fair question. I surveyed my Sooner Friends, Both Alumni and Just Fans, How much do you really care about OU softball, and for that matter baseball? I presented this scenario? If you had to pick one. OU wins the national championship in softball or baseball, but you have to lose to Texas in football? Other choice, a guaranteed win against Texas in football, but softball and baseball have zero chance for a national championship. What do you choose? Everyone said the guaranteed win against Texas in football. The reality is the mighty Sooner softball program, and definitely baseball is a time filler between football recruiting, spring football, and fall football. My question is how do we feel about other OSU sports and opportunities for success vs football? In my humble opinion as an OSU graduate and supporter, I would take an OSU softball or baseball national championship over a single football win versus Texas. I was just curious how my fellow OSU alums and fans feel about this?

Dec 6, 2006
Tulsa
www.tulsalawyer.org
Softball and baseball are about even for me. I don't really care about it during the regular season other than Bedlam. I get interested when regionals start. I start watching on TV at Super Regionals and World Series.

andylicious

Territorial Marshal
Nov 16, 2013
tractor
I watch baseball and softball during the season and make a few games. Football is football, I have been a long time OSU fan, why not win at them all and support all of them?

Jul 5, 2020
Broken Arrow
A fair question. I surveyed my Sooner Friends, Both Alumni and Just Fans, How much do you really care about OU softball, and for that matter baseball? I presented this scenario? If you had to pick one. OU wins the national championship in softball or baseball, but you have to lose to Texas in football? Other choice, a guaranteed win against Texas in football, but softball and baseball have zero chance for a national championship. What do you choose? Everyone said the guaranteed win against Texas in football. The reality is the mighty Sooner softball program, and definitely baseball is a time filler between football recruiting, spring football, and fall football. My question is how do we feel about other OSU sports and opportunities for success vs football? In my humble opinion as an OSU graduate and supporter, I would take an OSU softball or baseball national championship over a single football win versus Texas. I was just curious how my fellow OSU alums and fans feel about this?
Maybe I misunderstood the intent of your question, so please let me know where I got it wrong. That being said, even with your choices I don't see these as mutually exclusive. I can enjoy and look forward to those sports equally as much, which for all intents and purposes I do. Maybe football a sliver better, but not to the point I don't really care if one program cannot win a NC at the expense of another simply winning a game.

Sep 29, 2005
NW OKC
www.thomasandcathy.blogspot.com
Friends, there is no doubt we all support and want success for every Oklahoma State program. My thoughts were more about how the Sooner fan base doesn't really care about anything but football. I am very thankful in my opinion anyway, that we put more value on all sports, I have to admit it's hard to accept Sooner success in things like baseball, Golf, Tennis, when their fan base could care less, and we have always valued success in these sports. Back to football, I admit this is my biggest OSU passion and I see no reason we can't have success in everything. I mean that is what I think we all want. I was just curious whether we are like the Sooners in the "sacrifice everything for football" or more rounded in what is important to us.

Jul 5, 2020
Broken Arrow
Friends, there is no doubt we all support and want success for every Oklahoma State program. My thoughts were more about how the Sooner fan base doesn't really care about anything but football. I am very thankful in my opinion anyway, that we put more value on all sports, I have to admit it's hard to accept Sooner success in things like baseball, Golf, Tennis, when their fan base could care less, and we have always valued success in these sports. Back to football, I admit this is my biggest OSU passion and I see no reason we can't have success in everything. I mean that is what I think we all want. I was just curious whether we are like the Sooners in the "sacrifice everything for football" or more rounded in what is important to us.
In that case, I'll take "No, generally more rounded" for $1,000 Kramer ;)

pokefan05

Country Boys Country Toys
A/V Subscriber
Dec 6, 2006
Tulsa
I'm taking a national championship in any NCAA sport over a Bedlam football win.

Aug 31, 2013
I’ve literally had a Sooner coworker tell me there is no other sport besides football that is relevant or that matters. I 100% disagree. I was OSU to be successful in all sports not just football.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OSUCowboy787

Territorial Marshal
Dec 31, 2008
Keller, Texas
I'd take it a step further, I'd rather occasionally win a championship in other sports than ever win one in football. I'd prefer we were competitive in all sports.

sportsfan89

Territorial Marshal
Jul 31, 2012
Wilson, Oklahoma
I want OSU to win in every sport.

TBH, I like softball more than any other sport…..I still want us to succeed no matter what the sport is

Last edited:

PistolPete'sMustache

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Aug 3, 2010
Tulsa, OK
The average OU fan only cares about football, but OU softball has a strong following through a combination of OU fans who like all sports, and some who are softball focused and jump on the bandwagon like the typical ou football fan. The "would you rather" question is so dumb because there are no laws of physics that would make any of it mutually exclusive. I want to win in all sports. I watch football and basketball regularly, baseball and softball semi-regularly, and I tuned in one time to a women's tennis match when we almost won a national title. I don't watch golf or wrestling, which sucks because those are the sports we're best at, but I just have no interest. Is cross-country even considered a spectator sport? We're pretty good there too.

Osu stuff

Wrangler
A/V Subscriber
Oct 25, 2014
Ohio
I always put on the WCWS. I’d be lying if I said I watched much more then that. This year I watched a lot more of the Big 12 and regionals. Maybe because both Oklahoma teams are really good?

Disclaimer: grew up in Oklahoma no longer live there.

andylicious

Territorial Marshal
Nov 16, 2013
tractor
That's the difference, our fan base tends to be well rounded.

NinjaPoke

Deputy
A/V Subscriber
Jul 9, 2016
Lawton, OK
The real question is would you trade 10 softball NCs for 1 football NC? Fans at most major universities would

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
With what UT and UT-Norman has done this last summer…I’d take 1 Football Natty for 100 softball ones. This is just a sad reality of the importance of football and has never been more clear when it comes to realignment.

andylicious

Territorial Marshal
Nov 16, 2013
tractor
With what UT and UT-Norman has done this last summer…I’d take 1 Football Natty for 100 softball ones. This is just a sad reality of the importance of football and has never been more clear when it comes to realignment.
That's like asking the question of would you rather have money or wins for your football team? We know what those two prioritize.

Last edited: