How Gundy became a starter

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Rob B.

I'm......Batman.
A/V Subscriber
Aug 13, 2007
Rockin' the GL.
I was sitting right right behind Gundy in the North stands (used to be the home side) when he ran out there vs. Houston when we were getting our butts beat. Ronnie Williams had some great games as QB but his biggest issue aside from too many turnovers was that he had no touch. He threw a screen pass in the flat or a 5 yard crossing pattern with the same insane velocity that he threw a 60 yard pass. He'd practically break the hands of the receiver on the short throws.

As many issues as I have with Pat Jones, that change was a great decision. Gundy went on to set an NCAA record for consecutive completions without an interception and he darn near led us back to a victory in that game. Pat also knew Ronnie was too talented to sit on the sidelines and moved him to tight end which earned him some time in the NFL. There's no way he makes the NFL as a QB so Ronnie should be thankful that Pat made that change.

Because Gundy is such a crazy character as a coach, people forget (or are too young to know) what an impressive QB he was. He was not only a good QB, but he was just a "gamer". He had a will to win. I know Mason and Zac may have beaten some of his stats but in my mind he is the second best QB in school history behind Weeden. For those who never saw him, if you want to think of someone who was the same kind of "gamer" that Gundy was, think of Clint Chelf, that same kind of fearlessness. Some of his most impressive gutsy play came in 1989 after Hart Lee, Thurman and Barry left and our team wasn't very good any longer. He had to pull a rabbit out of his butt on multiple occasions just to win the games that we did in 1989.

I love Spencer and think he's a really good kid but the physical advantages that made him a HS Star have not translated well to college. I haven't given up on him and I am pulling for the light to come on but in my opinion he's at best the 9th best QB when it comes to OSU QBs.

Mike Gundy, Josh Fields, Zac Robinson, Brandon Weedon, Clint Chelf, JW Walsh, Mason Rudolph and the Corndog were all better QBs than Sanders. He's probably better than Weatherbie or Hilger simply because of physical skills and running ability but he makes more boneheaded plays. But hey, he's definitely better than Traber!

I would put Spencer somewhere equivalent to Tony Lindsay.
Actually, Ronnie Williams moved to wide out across from Hart Lee. He never played TE until his NFL days. Pat wasn't THAT smart.

Aug 16, 2012
I’m sure they know what is wrong, it’s due to a lack of talent, that’s not something you can fix by halftime. Especially with TM not on the field, the defense doesn’t have to respect our passing game. They say I’m going to give that to you until you beat me with it. I’m sure many other teams will follow this blueprint. Stack the box until you prove you’re a threat.
See, now I do not buy this. Otherwise, every lesser opponent should not be able to move the ball against us, right? It is very possible to scheme with lesser talent. One only has to look at a team like Air Force. They run the ball 100 times a game and make no bones about it... with guys who typically have no chance in hades of playing beyond college and are successful at it. Why? Because of scheme.

MustangPokeFan

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2005
Mustang, Ok
www.newshoesband.net
I was sitting right right behind Gundy in the North stands (used to be the home side) when he ran out there vs. Houston when we were getting our butts beat. Ronnie Williams had some great games as QB but his biggest issue aside from too many turnovers was that he had no touch. He threw a screen pass in the flat or a 5 yard crossing pattern with the same insane velocity that he threw a 60 yard pass. He'd practically break the hands of the receiver on the short throws.

As many issues as I have with Pat Jones, that change was a great decision. Gundy went on to set an NCAA record for consecutive completions without an interception and he darn near led us back to a victory in that game. Pat also knew Ronnie was too talented to sit on the sidelines and moved him to tight end which earned him some time in the NFL. There's no way he makes the NFL as a QB so Ronnie should be thankful that Pat made that change.

Because Gundy is such a crazy character as a coach, people forget (or are too young to know) what an impressive QB he was. He was not only a good QB, but he was just a "gamer". He had a will to win. I know Mason and Zac may have beaten some of his stats but in my mind he is the second best QB in school history behind Weeden. For those who never saw him, if you want to think of someone who was the same kind of "gamer" that Gundy was, think of Clint Chelf, that same kind of fearlessness. Some of his most impressive gutsy play came in 1989 after Hart Lee, Thurman and Barry left and our team wasn't very good any longer. He had to pull a rabbit out of his butt on multiple occasions just to win the games that we did in 1989.

I love Spencer and think he's a really good kid but the physical advantages that made him a HS Star have not translated well to college. I haven't given up on him and I am pulling for the light to come on but in my opinion he's at best the 9th best QB when it comes to OSU QBs.

Mike Gundy, Josh Fields, Zac Robinson, Brandon Weedon, Clint Chelf, JW Walsh, Mason Rudolph and the Corndog were all better QBs than Sanders. He's probably better than Weatherbie or Hilger simply because of physical skills and running ability but he makes more boneheaded plays. But hey, he's definitely better than Traber!

I would put Spencer somewhere equivalent to Tony Lindsay.
Actually, Ronnie Williams moved to wide out across from Hart Lee. He never played TE until his NFL days. Pat wasn't THAT smart.
Meh…….semantics. His position was listed as a flanker back, the 3rd receiver and what has morphed into today’s slot receiver. It was kind of a hybrid between a tight end and a wide receiver back then.

Here’s what football 101 says:

“What is a Flanker in Football? In football, a flanker is a term used to describe a type of receiver that lines up behind the line of scrimmage by a few yards. Usually, the flanker will line up on the same side as the tight end and the opposite side of the split end, with a gap between himself and the rest of the offense. Also called a flanker back”

Rob B.

I'm......Batman.
A/V Subscriber
Aug 13, 2007
Rockin' the GL.
Meh…….semantics. His position was listed as a flanker back, the 3rd receiver and what has morphed into today’s slot receiver. It was kind of a hybrid between a tight end and a wide receiver back then.

Here’s what football 101 says:

“What is a Flanker in Football? In football, a flanker is a term used to describe a type of receiver that lines up behind the line of scrimmage by a few yards. Usually, the flanker will line up on the same side as the tight end and the opposite side of the split end, with a gap between himself and the rest of the offense. Also called a flanker back”
It's not semantics, We had two really good TE's at OSU when Ronnie Williams played WR. His position has morphed into WR. Flanker hasn't morphed into slot receiver. Slot receiver came about when they removed the FB.

Jostate

Identifies as a Cowboys fan
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
There are some informed and logical posts in here, and some not. I'm going to lower the bar a bit and post one that is really pretty stupid, but it's bouncing around in my head so I'm bound to post it.

Part of our offensive problems stem from our defensive success. Gundy still has a little bit of the "We'll win this sucker 3-0 if we have to" in him. He has a lot of confidence in our D, especially against these first 2 opponents, so he's not going to risk much on offense to give them big play chance. Sanders throws a pick 6 and you just took our play book from the Cheesecake Factory menu to the Waffle House.