How Gundy became a starter

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Sep 24, 2011
Gundy became a starter his freshman season because the physically gifted veteran qb Ronnie Williams had too many turnovers for Pat Jones liking. So Pat Jones yanked the turnover prone Williams and started the youngster.

Spencer Sanders is a turnover machine. A physically talented player who just can’t seem to stop turning it over.

Jul 9, 2004
Sanders is what he's going to be. Gundy has recognized this and even said it during preseason practice. Sanders isn't going to become some QB savant over the rest of his career. He's an average QB. He's going to frustrate people at times. Barely keep them happy the rest of the time. But the other guy isn't any great answer either, imo.
Sanders has a low ceiling. Frankly I don't think our next good QB (if there is one) isn't on campus yet.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
Sanders is what he's going to be. Gundy has recognized this and even said it during preseason practice. Sanders isn't going to become some QB savant over the rest of his career. He's an average QB. He's going to frustrate people at times. Barely keep them happy the rest of the time. But the other guy isn't any great answer either, imo.
Sanders has a low ceiling. Frankly I don't think our next good QB (if there is one) isn't on campus yet.
Not so fast.

If and when #12 gets a chance, he’ll excel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nov 25, 2009
Kedah Malaysia
Gundy became a starter his freshman season because the physically gifted veteran qb Ronnie Williams had too many turnovers for Pat Jones liking. So Pat Jones yanked the turnover prone Williams and started the youngster.

Spencer Sanders is a turnover machine. A physically talented player who just can’t seem to stop turning it over.
Ronnie Williams gave pick6 sideline throws as well.

But Ronnie Williams threw bullet passes that both receivers and DBs dropped.

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
Sammamish, Washington.Dallas, Texas.Maui, Hawaii
Wouldn’t mind seeing some more plays designed for his feet.

Oct 30, 2007
difficult to evaluate Spencer on this game. His situation is not setup for success.

He is in control of absolutely nothing. If he checks out of a play he will get benched.

the design of the O is beyond head scratching stupid, especially running plays, so he is a QB with no run game and absolutely no chance at having a run game.

with all the people who are in charge working very very hard to prevent him from any chance at success, I find it difficult to evaluate him. The pick 6 was bad but maybe just pure frustration.

If I am the qb in our offense, I likely get kicked from the team because I would straight up tell Gundy and Dunn how dumb their offense is.

Example: WR screen. NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER RUN THE TE WHO EVERYONE KNOWS WILL NEVER BE THROWN A FOOTBALL OUT TO BLOCK BROADCASTING THE PLAY! wide out at the LOS, slot back from LOS, READ THE DEFENSE, if both cover guys are back, wideout runs what looks like a short hook route, slot either fades to sideline or runs a very short out route. throw the pass 5+ yards. You can still run the screen if the slot cover guy is playing back. Heck keep the TE inside like run blocking and he can run a route. D has to determine who to cover and the TE might freeze someone freeing up the screen.

as QB, I would absolutely refuse to run our WR screen play. I would just run something else and tell Dunn I do not run dumb plays.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
difficult to evaluate Spencer on this game. His situation is not setup for success.

He is in control of absolutely nothing. If he checks out of a play he will get benched.

the design of the O is beyond head scratching stupid, especially running plays, so he is a QB with no run game and absolutely no chance at having a run game.

with all the people who are in charge working very very hard to prevent him from any chance at success, I find it difficult to evaluate him. The pick 6 was bad but maybe just pure frustration.

If I am the qb in our offense, I likely get kicked from the team because I would straight up tell Gundy and Dunn how dumb their offense is.

Example: WR screen. NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER RUN THE TE WHO EVERYONE KNOWS WILL NEVER BE THROWN A FOOTBALL OUT TO BLOCK BROADCASTING THE PLAY! wide out at the LOS, slot back from LOS, READ THE DEFENSE, if both cover guys are back, wideout runs what looks like a short hook route, slot either fades to sideline or runs a very short out route. throw the pass 5+ yards. You can still run the screen if the slot cover guy is playing back. Heck keep the TE inside like run blocking and he can run a route. D has to determine who to cover and the TE might freeze someone freeing up the screen.

as QB, I would absolutely refuse to run our WR screen play. I would just run something else and tell Dunn I do not run dumb plays.

I bet your boss just loves you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MustangPokeFan

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2005
Mustang, Ok
www.newshoesband.net

I was sitting right right behind Gundy in the North stands (used to be the home side) when he ran out there vs. Houston when we were getting our butts beat. Ronnie Williams had some great games as QB but his biggest issue aside from too many turnovers was that he had no touch. He threw a screen pass in the flat or a 5 yard crossing pattern with the same insane velocity that he threw a 60 yard pass. He'd practically break the hands of the receiver on the short throws.

As many issues as I have with Pat Jones, that change was a great decision. Gundy went on to set an NCAA record for consecutive completions without an interception and he darn near led us back to a victory in that game. Pat also knew Ronnie was too talented to sit on the sidelines and moved him to tight end which earned him some time in the NFL. There's no way he makes the NFL as a QB so Ronnie should be thankful that Pat made that change.

Because Gundy is such a crazy character as a coach, people forget (or are too young to know) what an impressive QB he was. He was not only a good QB, but he was just a "gamer". He had a will to win. I know Mason and Zac may have beaten some of his stats but in my mind he is the second best QB in school history behind Weeden. For those who never saw him, if you want to think of someone who was the same kind of "gamer" that Gundy was, think of Clint Chelf, that same kind of fearlessness. Some of his most impressive gutsy play came in 1989 after Hart Lee, Thurman and Barry left and our team wasn't very good any longer. He had to pull a rabbit out of his butt on multiple occasions just to win the games that we did in 1989.

I love Spencer and think he's a really good kid but the physical advantages that made him a HS Star have not translated well to college. I haven't given up on him and I am pulling for the light to come on but in my opinion he's at best the 9th best QB when it comes to OSU QBs.

Mike Gundy, Josh Fields, Zac Robinson, Brandon Weedon, Clint Chelf, JW Walsh, Mason Rudolph and the Corndog were all better QBs than Sanders. He's probably better than Weatherbie or Hilger simply because of physical skills and running ability but he makes more boneheaded plays. But hey, he's definitely better than Traber!

I would put Spencer somewhere equivalent to Tony Lindsay.

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2006

I can't figure out why we kept throwing WR screens and other lateral throws that rely on timing and perimeter blocking. The group on Saturday is not at a point where the blocks are there so it makes every one of those throws really risky. We should, however, be fully capable of rolling Sanders out and throwing outs, comebacks, curls and slants with the QB run option if the defense doesn't respect Sanders. And then occasionally they can get a double move and have a vertical attack (if the OL can hold a block)

If and when you start regularly executing some of those routes the defense will give you more room at the LOS to throw the screens, but if the defense knows you aren't throwing it 15 yards and you have no run game, why wouldn't they press cover?

LS1 Z28

Territorial Marshal
Oct 30, 2007
With Robinson, Weeden, & Rudolph, we all knew they were the guy after 2 to 3 starts. Spencer Sanders is now in his 4th year on campus, and we're still looking for consistency. He threw a terrible pick 6 yesterday, and he could've thrown more interceptions. He also nearly lost a fumble on the sideline, because he had the ball tucked away in the wrong arm. These are mistakes you can't make as a redshirt junior.

Shane Illingworth has only started 3 games now. He's shown inconsistency as well, but he's far less experienced than Sanders. If Sanders doesn't start showing more consistency, we would probably be better off starting to develop Illingworth for the future.

Sep 8, 2014
The back 40
I was sitting right right behind Gundy in the North stands (used to be the home side) when he ran out there vs. Houston when we were getting our butts beat. Ronnie Williams had some great games as QB but his biggest issue aside from too many turnovers was that he had no touch. He threw a screen pass in the flat or a 5 yard crossing pattern with the same insane velocity that he threw a 60 yard pass. He'd practically break the hands of the receiver on the short throws.

As many issues as I have with Pat Jones, that change was a great decision. Gundy went on to set an NCAA record for consecutive completions without an interception and he darn near led us back to a victory in that game. Pat also knew Ronnie was too talented to sit on the sidelines and moved him to tight end which earned him some time in the NFL. There's no way he makes the NFL as a QB so Ronnie should be thankful that Pat made that change.

Because Gundy is such a crazy character as a coach, people forget (or are too young to know) what an impressive QB he was. He was not only a good QB, but he was just a "gamer". He had a will to win. I know Mason and Zac may have beaten some of his stats but in my mind he is the second best QB in school history behind Weeden. For those who never saw him, if you want to think of someone who was the same kind of "gamer" that Gundy was, think of Clint Chelf, that same kind of fearlessness. Some of his most impressive gutsy play came in 1989 after Hart Lee, Thurman and Barry left and our team wasn't very good any longer. He had to pull a rabbit out of his butt on multiple occasions just to win the games that we did in 1989.

I love Spencer and think he's a really good kid but the physical advantages that made him a HS Star have not translated well to college. I haven't given up on him and I am pulling for the light to come on but in my opinion he's at best the 9th best QB when it comes to OSU QBs.

Mike Gundy, Josh Fields, Zac Robinson, Brandon Weedon, Clint Chelf, JW Walsh, Mason Rudolph and the Corndog were all better QBs than Sanders. He's probably better than Weatherbie or Hilger simply because of physical skills and running ability but he makes more boneheaded plays. But hey, he's definitely better than Traber!

Weatherbie and Hilger were better,....still remember the ‘76 bedlam game

Jan 14, 2006
With Robinson, Weeden, & Rudolph, we all knew they were the guy after 2 to 3 starts. Spencer Sanders is now in his 4th year on campus, and we're still looking for consistency. He threw a terrible pick 6 yesterday, and he could've thrown more interceptions. He also nearly lost a fumble on the sideline, because he had the ball tucked away in the wrong arm. These are mistakes you can't make as a redshirt junior.

Shane Illingworth has only started 3 games now. He's shown inconsistency as well, but he's far less experienced than Sanders. If Sanders doesn't start showing more consistency, we would probably be better off starting to develop Illingworth for the future.
We "knew" Sanders was the guy after his first game. The kid that played against Oregon St looked like a future 1st rounder if he just progressed a normal amount.

Nov 6, 2010
I can't figure out why we kept throwing WR screens and other lateral throws that rely on timing and perimeter blocking. The group on Saturday is not at a point where the blocks are there so it makes every one of those throws really risky. We should, however, be fully capable of rolling Sanders out and throwing outs, comebacks, curls and slants with the QB run option if the defense doesn't respect Sanders. And then occasionally they can get a double move and have a vertical attack (if the OL can hold a block)

If and when you start regularly executing some of those routes the defense will give you more room at the LOS to throw the screens, but if the defense knows you aren't throwing it 15 yards and you have no run game, why wouldn't they press cover?
Yea, I don't understand it. THey were sitting on that and we were very lucky we didn't have 3 pick sixes instead of just 1. I was begging for a couple of deep throws off that look.

MustangPokeFan

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2005
Mustang, Ok
www.newshoesband.net

Weatherbie and Hilger were better,....still remember the ‘76 bedlam game
That was a good one! Terry Miller won that game for us and Harold Bailey played QB most of the game. I can’t remember if Charlie got injured or was just replaced by Harold but Bailey played most of the game. Hard really to compare Weatherbie and Hilger to now because the offense was so different. One thing is for sure, they were less turnover prone.