How’s everyone feeling about Baylor.

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Cimarron

It's not dying I'm talking about, it's living.
Jun 28, 2007
Nervous because they're seemingly playing better football since we played them. We can win this if we play tough and smart ball every quarter.
Well, we were their third Big 12 game...

Texas was their 5th Big 12 game, so I've included them in the average below so it's 5 games to 5 games...

The first 5 Big 12 games for Baylor:

Average Big 12 rank: 5.6
Average Margin of victory: 12.4 points
Record 4-1

The last 5 Big 12 games for Baylor:

Average Big 12 rank: 6.4
Average Margin of victory: 6.2 points
Record 4-1

You could argue they were playing better the first half of the season?

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
After re
The defense was never the issue in this game. Fumble for a safety, muffed punt for a TD, roughing the kicker to extend a scoring drive, missed FG, and two interceptions were why the game was close. I know ou gave a couple of those back to us, but that was a lot of self inflicted stuff to still win a game. I find it impossible to believe we'll play anywhere close to that sloppy against Baylor Saturday, so I really believe we're going to win comfortably.
While I agree with all of this, on rewatching it, that fumble for a safety should have never happened because of horrendous offsides. I had to go pick up food and missed that play, but couldn't believe how bad it was when watching again. That was inexcusable and directly led to the fumble. If they aren't offsides, we don't fumble or at least not into the endzone like that.

Cimarron

Jun 28, 2007
Here are some interesting statistics about OSU.

Before Baylor

OSU averaged 25.75 points/game and allowed 19.75 points/game.

After Baylor

OSU averaged 36.43 points/game and allowed 14.85 points/game.

And arguably against a tougher schedule.

Incidently, 36.43 would make OSU the 17th scoring offense in the country today.

Nov 6, 2010
After re
While I agree with all of this, on rewatching it, that fumble for a safety should have never happened because of horrendous offsides. I had to go pick up food and missed that play, but couldn't believe how bad it was when watching again. That was inexcusable and directly led to the fumble. If they aren't offsides, we don't fumble or at least not into the endzone like that.
Only reinforces my point, we are far and away the better team. Lay the points and take the Pokes!

Cimarron

Jun 28, 2007
Baylor on the other hand.

Before Oklahoma State

Baylor averaged 42.75 points/game and allowed 15.75 points/game.

After Oklahoma State

Baylor averaged 30.85 points/game and allowed 20.86 points/game.

Mar 8, 2010
I’m trying to recall all the double meetings in college football and a majority of the time it doesn’t go well for the team that won first. Seems like the team that loses learns more from the game on what to do differently for success the second time while the team that won earlier thinks they already have the formula for success and not as willing to try something different. Remember the LSU-Bama rematch in 2011. I’m worried about this one.

OctaviusRexLTH

Deputy
A/V Subscriber
Aug 16, 2019
Alabama
Baylor on the other hand.

Before Oklahoma State

Baylor averaged 42.75 points/game and allowed 15.75 points/game.

After Oklahoma State

Baylor averaged 30.85 points/game and allowed 20.86 points/game.
To be fair 3 of the 4 games prior to us were Texas State, Texas Southern and Kansas

Cimarron

Jun 28, 2007
I’m trying to recall all the double meetings in college football and a majority of the time it doesn’t go well for the team that won first. Seems like the team that loses learns more from the game on what to do differently for success the second time while the team that won earlier thinks they already have the formula for success and not as willing to try something different. Remember the LSU-Bama rematch in 2011. I’m worried about this one.
I posted this earlier. It's about 50%

TheMonkey

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 16, 2004
DFW
Absent major OSU mistakes, I just don’t see how Baylor can win.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Oh, I can see how they win. I just don’t think they will. They’ll have to replicate what ISU did to us. We were pretty much absent major mistakes that game. But Purdy played out of his mind and we struggled to get to him. I didn’t watch the BU/TT game, but I’m assuming their backup can’t do what Purdy did. I don’t think. Bohannon can, especially with a gimp leg.

ESPN is giving Baylor a 3-in-10 chance of winning. I’d say 2 of those chances are because we implode. The third chance is we play well and yet Baylor plays lights-out to win.

Oct 7, 2012
Meh. Baylor just isn't the same team without Bohanon. They showed it last week. Not concerned. OSU by double digits, easily and early.
So what do make of a 5 1/2 spread and 46 O/U? I know Vegas missed the O/U by a lot last week, but they generally get pretty close. Something like a 26-20 game.

To me it looks like Vegas thinks no Bohannon, but BU D keeps Poke O in check. A pick 6 or muffed punt might make this way too close for comfort.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2012
This is my perspective too. Yea I will be disappointed if we don't win on Saturday but in the grand scheme of things this team has done way more this season than anyone thought they would.
Especially after the first four games

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2009
Dallas
Not saying I’m not worried but that was a Saban bama team that did not even score a touchdown in the first meeting, at home too.

Baylor will be highly motivated but I like our leadership, especially being on the defensive side of the ball. Look at defensive stats vs TCU and tech for comparison..I just hope our offense is still clicking. Good Gundy teams seem to always have the offense moving along in big time games at end of season pending a healthy squad.