Houston = Texas Tech?

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

DallasOSUCowboys34

Cowboy
A/V Subscriber
Sep 24, 2008
Fort Worth, TX
Houston fans are almost as dilusional as Tech fans. Good god, I went to there scout board to see what they thought about the Dickey hire....there absolutely crazy. Some are talking about how Dickey can't get them to the Final 4 etc.

Do they realize this is a team that won 19 games this season in the CUSA??? They have won an average of 19 games over the past 5 seasons. Not exactly a highly attractive position to lure in a big name.

I would say they should be thrilled someone with Dickey's experience would coach at Houston.

Aug 11, 2004
Tulsa
John Wooden couldn't get Houston to the Final 4. Olajuwon and Drexler helped them have delusions of adequacy. They will never see that kind of talent EVER again.

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
A/V Subscriber
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
Houston fans are almost as dilusional as Tech fans. Good god, I went to there scout board to see what they thought about the Dickey hire....there absolutely crazy. Some are talking about how Dickey can't get them to the Final 4 etc.

Do they realize this is a team that won 19 games this season in the CUSA??? They have won an average of 19 games over the past 5 seasons. Not exactly a highly attractive position to lure in a big name.

I would say they should be thrilled someone with Dickey's experience would coach at Houston.
It's not actually a college, so it's ok.

Jan 28, 2008
Lawrence, KS
Its kinda frustrating because none of them know what they're talking about. Some guy tried to argue that NCAA trouble has followed him everywhere. IIRC, wasn't Dickey exonerated of any wrong doing for the crap that happened at Tech? The academic scandal involved all sorts of athletes, not just basketball players.

Anyway, I'm beginning to think James Dickey is too good for Houston and their uneducated basketball fans.

CowpokeMike

Federal Marshal
Mar 26, 2008
Oklahoma City
Houston had some good teams under Guy Lewis in the mid-60's and early 70's and of course the early 80's with Phi Slamma Jamma, but it stops there. 1 tournament appearance (on a fluke, IMO) since 1991-92. They are crazy.

Oct 11, 2004
Oklahoma City
Dickey had Tech at their best in a very long time (maybe ever, not for sure). I believe Tony Battie, Darvin Ham and Corey Carr were all guys that were recruited to Tech while Dickey was HC.

They did more impressive things under him than Knight. Knight's best player at Tech was Andre Emmett, who was a Dickey recruit.

I believe Dickey was the main recruiter that brought James Anderson to OSU. So obviously, the guy can recruit a little. And recruiting is a big part of winning.

Sep 14, 2004
There, Their, They're.... My goodness people, HS grammar. I'm not typically a spelling Nazi, but the misuse here made me have to re-read it a couple of times to figure out what was being said.

DallasOSUCowboys34

Cowboy
A/V Subscriber
Sep 24, 2008
Fort Worth, TX
There, Their, They're.... My goodness people, HS grammar. I'm not typically a spelling Nazi, but the misuse here made me have to re-read it a couple of times to figure out what was being said.
I didn't realize I was writing an article. Next time I will make sure and proof read everything I put on here.

Jan 14, 2007
Yukon, OK
Dickey had Tech at their best in a very long time (maybe ever, not for sure). I believe Tony Battie, Darvin Ham and Corey Carr were all guys that were recruited to Tech while Dickey was HC.

They did more impressive things under him than Knight. Knight's best player at Tech was Andre Emmett, who was a Dickey recruit.

I believe Dickey was the main recruiter that brought James Anderson to OSU. So obviously, the guy can recruit a little. And recruiting is a big part of winning.
Dickey also had losing seasons with "his" recruits. Knight did a better job and never got in trouble with the NCAA. Now if you want to talk about Knight having problems with his own school president...... :)

superpoke

Territorial Marshal
Jun 28, 2005
Orange Country USA
Dickey also had losing seasons with "his" recruits. Knight did a better job and never got in trouble with the NCAA. Now if you want to talk about Knight having problems with his own school president...... :)
Dickey had those losing seasons after the academic scandal hit Tech. We've all seen what probation can do to a program. Only one of those years (his last one) could be called a disaster.

The NCAA trouble was a department-wide failure, not something Dickey did. Ten different sports at Tech got hit when that went down. He just happened to have a number of guys who were cleared by the school that shouldn't have been, and it cost him. Three of those losing seasons, he had a total of seven fewer scholarships to work with - his last year was the first one where Tech's full complement was restored.

I think Dickey got crossways with Gerald Myers out there because he turned around the decline Gerald had their program in (not that it was much of one - Myers was a pretty mediocre coach). No real reason why, other than Myers seems like the kind of guy who would hold a grudge over such things. He gave Dickey a chance to fix it, and when it didn't happen immediately, he brought in his friend Knight.

Dickey will do a lot better at Houston than their fans think he will. I know they all wanted Billy Gillispie, but they wouldn't have had him for more than a couple of years anyway.

CowpokeMike

Federal Marshal
Mar 26, 2008
Oklahoma City
Speaking of Gillespie, he should get another coaching job. He got the shaft in my opinion at Kentucky. I wonder if he would go back to UTEP. That would be a less than normal situation.

Nov 19, 2005
Great Bend, KS
Just to be fair in comparison, Dickey also had to deal with aftermath of massive violations committed that he wasn't involved with and lead to a ruling of a lack of institutional control. They lost multiple scholarships over multiple years with some of the other penalties (like forfeiting games and tourney wins). Pretty much a knockout blow to the program for his last four years.

Story

Even with all those issues the last four years while he was there, Dickey won 57% of his games versus Knight with 63%.

Oops, got beat to the punch, good job Superpoke.

Sep 25, 2007
Don't fault him. Reading TMG quotes has lowered the intelligence of the entire board lately.

OrangeAggie

Assistant to the Moderater
A/V Subscriber
Feb 6, 2004
Edmond
Look, we all love Coach Dickey, and we all know he can coach. That said, he's not exactly the most exciting hire in the world.

If HCTF left after next season and we brought Dickie in to replace him, how many of you guys would be satisfied with that hire?