Holder wants recruiting to improve

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

cowboyethics344

Federal Marshal
Apr 2, 2008
Apparently, holder is wanting more elite recruits to hit the streets of stillwater. Sounds like holder and gundy maybe feuding soon. Either way, it would be nice to get some 5 star defensive tackles.

Jostate

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
Listened to the podcast. I didn't know if linking that was frowned upon here but he seemed to be saying the same thing that some on here are mocked for, we need more 4 / 5 star guys and thinks Gundy could aim higher on his recruiting philosophy.

I didn't sense any feud. Said they want the same thing, Gundy has been great, but sometimes people have different approaches. Ultimately it's Gundy's program.

Last edited:

cowboyethics344

Federal Marshal
Apr 2, 2008
Listened to the podcast. I didn't know if linking that was frowned upon here but he seemed to be saying the same thing that some on here are mocked for, we need more 4 / 5 star guys and thinks Gundy could aim higher on his recruiting philosophy.

I didn't sense any feud. Said they want the same thing, Gundy has been great, but sometimes people have different approaches. Ultimately it's Gundy's program.
I don’t think they are feuding now but this could definitely light a fire don’t you think?

Philranger

Territorial Marshal
Oct 6, 2010
Owasso
I don’t think they are feuding now but this could definitely light a fire don’t you think?
I mean I doubt Holder said anything on the podcast that he hasn't already expressed to Gundy. Maybe it's different expressing it publicly, but I think Gundy knows where Holder stands.

cowboyethics344

Federal Marshal
Apr 2, 2008
I mean I doubt Holder said anything on the podcast that he hasn't already expressed to Gundy. Maybe it's different expressing it publicly, but I think Gundy knows where Holder stands.
This is true. I just get the feeling that telling gundy how to run his program and how to recruit only adds to the existing bad blood. I could be wrong and maybe gundy agrees

RutherfordFan

Federal Marshal
Feb 5, 2008
Oklahoma City
Apparently, holder is wanting more elite recruits to hit the streets of stillwater. Sounds like holder and gundy maybe feuding soon. Either way, it would be nice to get some 5 star defensive tackles.
People are so focused on 5 stars. Forget about that. Get more 4 stars. If ALABAMA gets 4 5 star kids. Only 16 left in America. 4 stars are elite. Get more 4 stars.

For umpteenth time, only about 20, 5 star kids every year. Get top 400 kids. More 4 stars.

Sep 20, 2017
Texas
For what we are paying, I agree that we should land better recruits. At a minimum we should be shooting for them. Gundy has a different and more content philosophy. And that’s why he will never win anything. He is content

More Cowbell

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
May 2, 2005
Highland Village, TX
We aren't getting 5 star guys. We just aren't..and that's OK. Bobby Reid was our only 5-star ever. We've had a healthy amount of 4-stars but you can count on one hand how many of those guys made it to the NFL. Gundy's tenure has been notable for the amount of 3 star (and below) guys who got on campus and became very, very good players.

Jostate

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
I think they've learned their lesson about being too public about their dispute with each other. Holder made it clear he's happy with Gundy.

Jostate

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
What mens or womens sport are we recruiting "4 star" equivalent elite kids out of high school on a regular basis? Golf, maybe? Wrestling? Not basketball, I don't think baseball. Why pick on football? OSU football has had the best success in history under Gundy.
We used to in baseball and likely will again with the new facilities.

We all know about the challenges witth Stillwater but we should be able to do better than we have been in recruiting lately. At least Holder thinks so.

He spoke of stealing a golf recruit from Stanford. If he can do that Gundy should be able to steal a few from TCU.

Philranger

Territorial Marshal
Oct 6, 2010
Owasso
What mens or womens sport are we recruiting "4 star" equivalent elite kids out of high school on a regular basis? Golf, maybe? Wrestling? Not basketball, I don't think baseball. Why pick on football? OSU football has had the best success in history under Gundy.
Yes, but it won't get any better unless we upgrade the talent level.

Takeout Slide

Hardcore Troubadour
Nov 10, 2009
Rounding third and heading for Omaha
We used to in baseball and likely will again with the new facilities.

We all know about the challenges witth Stillwater but we should be able to do better than we have been in recruiting lately. At least Holder thinks so.

He spoke of stealing a golf recruit from Stanford. If he can do that Gundy should be able to steal a few from TCU.
Not to derail the thread, but baseball does pretty dang well given the facilities issue, on the one side, and the draft and scholarship limits, on the other. Off the very top of my head, we had at least 6 guys on this year's team who were top 150-175 recruits in their graduating class.

Baseball recruiting is just a totally different beast. A coach could sign a class full of top 50 kids and then everyone of those guys gets drafted in the top 5 rounds in June, and he's left scrambling to sign whatever JUCO and under the radar guys who are still out there before school starts in August. I haven't taken a look to see which draftees have signed, but there's a good chance TCU's class is going to take a big hit as they had, IIRC, 5 recruits go in rounds 1 and 2. Our 2017 class took a pretty good hit, which could have been much worse had Mitchell Stone and Jake Taylor been willing to sign.

In some ways, it's really a waste of time for a coach to sell out trying to fill a class with the very top kids, because chances are they're never getting to campus.

pokes16

Territorial Marshal
Oct 16, 2003
Tulsa
Boy, by and large, Pat Jones went off on Holder's comments from the podcast and all that kind of stuff. Called him a "fan boy" and to "stay out of football" and what not.
I would listen to Pat. I mean imagine if he never had that Heisman winner, or the other Hall of Famer? Oh, yeah, he'd have been 0-10-1.

Rack

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Boy, by and large, Pat Jones went off on Holder's comments from the podcast and all that kind of stuff. Called him a "fan boy" and to "stay out of football" and what not.
PJ is not "for" OSU football and is dragging down our coach when they speak. Mike needs to stop thinking of him as a mentor in terms of FALSE "limitations" that have been mentally placed on Oklahoma State Football by men like Pat Jones. Holder / Boone have done more for Oklahoma State athletics in their little pinky's than did PJ.