Hofmeister to run for governor

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Sep 12, 2008
What has Hofmeister achieved as superintendent that would make someone want to vote for her?

Or is it that she is not Stitt?

Oil prices are high, Oklahoma's coffers are filling up faster each month, bodes well for the incumbent.

snuffy

Calf fries are the original sack lunch.
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Feb 28, 2007
Oklahoma
What has Hofmeister achieved as superintendent that would make someone want to vote for her?

Oil prices are high, Oklahoma's coffers are filling up faster each month, bodes well for the incumbent.
The lawsuits against the tribes for McDirt and the revenues, hiring cronies that could not do the jobs, Covid response, all of which have lead life long Oklahoma Republicans to criticize him are just a few reasons not to vote for him and there are more.
Will I vote for Hofmeister, I don’t know.
Is it good that we can get Stitt out of office, yes.

Mar 11, 2006
Again outside looking in but he is an anti vax guy who has spent the last 3 years putting friends in power. Plus he picked a dumb fight with Natives in a state where that is a significant voting block. Republican/Democrat I don't care but if 59% of people are still happy with that guy because of the letter in front of his name on a ballot I'm not sure what to think.
1) I am not aware of any elected executive who appoints enemies in power. Part of what execs do it put people in positions friendly to the agenda that the exec wants to accomplish.
2) People might agree on whether gambling and McGirt issues are dumb to fight. But it does leave Stitt exposed. I may have lost faith in Hofmeister, because she has been ineffective, but she is smart. I could definitely see her aligning herself with tribes for support.
3) I don’t think support is just because of the letter in front of his name. I can tell you he is EXTREMELY popular with the Tulsa Regional Chamber of Commerce and its leadership. I assume the same for OKC.

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2008
The lawsuits against the tribes for McDirt and the revenues, hiring cronies that could not do the jobs, Covid response, all of which have lead life long Oklahoma Republicans to criticize him are just a few reasons not to vote for him and there are more.
Will I vote for Hofmeister, I don’t know.
Is it good that we can get Stitt out of office, yes.
I'll put you down as option 2 then. It's a proven strategy, we have Biden because he's not Trump. We had Trump because he wasn't Hilary.

snuffy

Staff
A/V Subscriber
Feb 28, 2007
Oklahoma
I'll put you down as option 2 then. It's a proven strategy, we have Biden because he's not Trump. We had Trump because he wasn't Hilary.
Yes, I hate that we are to the point that we are choice the lesser evil but it has been that way for while. Back to 2008 with Obama/McCain. The lesser evil of two VP’s decided that race for more than a few people.

Jul 5, 2020
Broken Arrow

Stitt still has one potentially important thing in his favor. Hoffmeister is basically jobless, which means she can really only run on what has been, not what she can still do as Superintendent. And what she has to run on from her time as that isn't grand by any means. Stitt on the other hand has the bully pulpit and can take actions between now and the election that might sway voters his way while he's still in office. His actions regarding Julius Jones first comes to mind. He's also done himself well with the Afghan refugees.

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2008
Yes, I hate that we are to the point that we are choice the lesser evil but it has been that way for while. Back to 2008 with Obama/McCain. The lesser evil of two VP’s decided that race for more than a few people.
Sad but true. Let's not forget that 2008 was supposed to be Hilary's year...

I am still amazed that Mick Cornett didn't win, I thought he was a lock.

Hofmeister must have some big money backing her.

Mar 11, 2006

I was a Mick fan as well. And was very surprised he didnt win.

I have to assume as well that Hofmeister has a group that has recruited her to run and fund her (ie that is exactly what happened to commence her Superintendent run). Although I can't say for certain because I try to rarely talk politics with people outside of this board, I am pretty confident the three individuals that initially funded her campaign for Superintendent do not support her anymore. I think they were disillusioned like I was after she failed to do what she promised to do.

oks10

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 9, 2007
Piedmont, OK

Same. I think without Trump being elected though, Stitt never happens. From what I remember, the Trump crowd was a BIG fan of Stitt because he "wasn't a politician". (Just a shady mortgage lender... ;) )

kenny41

Territorial Marshal
Aug 28, 2006
OKC/Tulsa

If Mick would run as a democrat this time around he would win in a route. OKC’s growth started with all the planning his team accomplished. Stitt has pissed off enough people to sway enough of the majority to moderation. I don’t know if Joy has the clout to pull that off.

Sep 12, 2008
If Mick would run as a democrat this time around he would win in a route. OKC’s growth started with all the planning his team accomplished. Stitt has pissed off enough people to sway enough of the majority to moderation. I don’t know if Joy has the clout to pull that off.
I don't know if she does either..

Of course I thought Steve Largent would win as well...

oks10

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 9, 2007
Piedmont, OK
My main concern with her running (as far as her chances) is if it comes across as her just seeking a personal vendetta. She and Stitt CLEARLY have beef which should be pretty obvious at this point and some might see this as just another spat between the two.

snuffy

Staff
A/V Subscriber
Feb 28, 2007
Oklahoma
My main concern with her running (as far as her chances) is if it comes across as her just seeking a personal vendetta. She and Stitt CLEARLY have beef which should be pretty obvious at this point and some might see this as just another spat between the two.
Maybe they can throw crap at each other and we get 3rd person in office who wants to lead Oklahoma.