Hofmeister to run for governor

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Mar 11, 2006
https://twitter.com/tulsaworld/status/1445939206329667589?s=21
Ugh.

As mentioned, I have known her very well for years, well before she was state superintendent. Have sat on two different boards with her. She is the only politician I donated more than once to their campaign.

But I realized three years ago, I made a mistake. She has made no improvements on state education and frankly little effort. Sadly, it appears she is just a figurehead that wanted a title. There is a zero percent chance my wife and I will vote for her.

Although there is a silver lining. I assume this should require her to resign her state superintendent job — that will be good news for public education.

StillwaterTownie

Federal Marshal
Jun 18, 2010
Where else but Stillwater
I guess she thinks there is no way she can beat Stitt running against him as a Republican, so strategize by switching to Democrat and hoping that Connie Johnson will be easy to beat for being too liberal and nobody else well known will run and complicate things. But she surely can't beat Stitt by running against him as a Democrat, either.

Last edited:

oks10

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 9, 2007
Piedmont, OK
I guess she thinks there is no way she can beat Stitt running against him as a Republican, so strategize by switching to Democrat and hoping that Connie Johnson will be easy to beat for being too liberal and nobody else well known will run and complicate things. But she surely can't beat Stitt by running against him as a Democrat, either.
I mean, it makes sense. If she runs as a Republican I don't think she has a chance to get more republican voters to pick her over Stitt. If she gets the Democrat bid though, then she'll get the R votes she would have gotten had she ran Republican PLUS the D votes that are just as anxious to see Stitt gone.

Nov 8, 2007
Bartlesville
I mean, it makes sense. If she runs as a Republican I don't think she has a chance to get more republican voters to pick her over Stitt. If she gets the Democrat bid though, then she'll get the R votes she would have gotten had she ran Republican PLUS the D votes that are just as anxious to see Stitt gone.
Plus more time to campaign. She would have to really shorten her strategy if she were to face off with Stitt in the primaries.

oks10

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 9, 2007
Piedmont, OK
Plus more time to campaign. She would have to really shorten her strategy if she were to face off with Stitt in the primaries.
For Democrats, this is probably the best scenario they have to get Stitt out. I honestly couldn't believe it when he won the first time in a regular R vs D election. This election (assuming she gets the bid) will be more of a R vs D+ election. Even if she's not a "Democrat" she seems to be their most possible way out of a Stitt governorship.

Jul 5, 2020
Broken Arrow
So in general, as we thought, the Republican voters don't necessarily care what your party affiliation is, but the Democrats do.

Duke Silver

Find safe haven in a warm bathtub full of my jazz.
A/V Subscriber
Sep 17, 2004
Cozy's Bar
For Democrats, this is probably the best scenario they have to get Stitt out. I honestly couldn't believe it when he won the first time in a regular R vs D election. This election (assuming she gets the bid) will be more of a R vs D+ election. Even if she's not a "Democrat" she seems to be their most possible way out of a Stitt governorship.
I think she switched to republican to run for superintendent. I remember she ran against barresi saying the democrats take the spot back by running someone with an r after their name

cowboyinexile

Have some class
A/V Subscriber
Jun 29, 2004
Fairmont, MN
Hate to break any little snowflake hearts……Stitt will be re-elected in a landslide!
Why? He's unpopular in his own party. I have no dog in this fight but he seems like someone that should be primaried. Is trolling the libs worth electing someone who from the outside seems unqualified?

Mar 11, 2006
Why? He's unpopular in his own party. I have no dog in this fight but he seems like someone that should be primaried. Is trolling the libs worth electing someone who from the outside seems unqualified?
I don’t think it is accurate to say he is unpopular in his own party. At least according to the limited polls on Oklahoma elected officials, Stitt is very popular with Republicans in Oklahoma. And he is the state’s most popular elected official according to polls.
This is from a Jun 24-728, 2021 poll:
Gov. Stitt has an approval rating of 59%, up six points since our March 2021 survey had him at 53% approval. His approval rating among Republicans has grown by ten points since March (from 70% to 80%)

Although I absolutely don’t want Hofmeister anywhere close to another important elected position, she made the right decision if she really believes she can win the Governor election. Because her only viable path is to get away from the Republican primary and switch to the Dem Party.

Last edited:

cowboyinexile

Have some class
A/V Subscriber
Jun 29, 2004
Fairmont, MN
I don’t think it is accurate to say he is unpopular in his own party. At least according to the limited polls on Oklahoma elected officials, Stitt is very popular with Republicans in Oklahoma. And he is the state’s most popular elected official according to polls.
This is from a Jun 24-28, 2021 poll:
Gov. Stitt has an approval rating of 59%, up six points since our March 2021 survey had him at 53% approval. His approval rating among Republicans has grown by ten points since March (from 70% to 80%)
Again outside looking in but he is an anti vax guy who has spent the last 3 years putting friends in power. Plus he picked a dumb fight with Natives in a state where that is a significant voting block. Republican/Democrat I don't care but if 59% of people are still happy with that guy because of the letter in front of his name on a ballot I'm not sure what to think.