History repeating itself…..

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Feb 24, 2020
oklahoma
I saw some encouraging signs from SS in the game, where he actually stepped up in the pocket a couple times to avoid the rush and delivered the ball downfield, where usually he just bails and tries to run.
although there was some good things…can he be consistent is the million dollar question? I hope he can get there from a passing standpoint.

Dec 12, 2020
OKC
There is a reason him and his brother are barely 4* prospects, even while putting up video game numbers in high school. They are small, but quicker than a cat. Tyreek has straight line speed that can't be questioned, but these two have unbelievable quick twitch athleticism. There was one play in the Texas game where we got Brennan in a one on one situation with a db in the flat. Just replay that one if you can find it, and you'll see what I mean. That 4 or 5 star Texas DB had zero chance.
I remember a play from I think the Texas or Baylor game where he got the ball in the flat, turned to go north, and got lit up 4 yards later (he started maybe 2 yards behind scrimmage, so it was a short gain that should have gotten much more). He was totally 'in space', and I remember out loud saying "well, certainly didn't make the first guy miss, did you?"

I realize that's just one play, but I haven't noticed the extreme shiftiness you're talking about yet. But I hope to. He hasn't been used that much before last weekend at ISU.

Nov 25, 2009
Kedah Malaysia
hmm, didn't seem to make that ISU defender miss on our 4th and 2 play at the end of the game . . .
He had to jump a tag to catch the throw. That wasted a second or two to land and start a move.

SS when throwing to the his right side of the field, always tends to be a bit higher and inaccuracy which are susceptible for interceptions.

Aug 13, 2005
OKC
Sorry, BP is not faster than Tyreek in any environment. Maybe in a pool, but don't know that for sure.
Presley is faster 40-yard and Tyreek faster 100-yards. I thought Presley was a track guy and broke 40 yard record with 3.9. Presley has muscled up and gained some weight so he’s probably slower now, but in HS he broke some record in the 40-yard dash!!!

Jul 9, 2011
Carlos, TX
Being favored means nothing to me. Texas Tech, WV and TCU are all 50/50 games IMHO. We don't have the offense to be able to look past ANYBODY at this point
ISU right now is arguably the best opponent this year, and we played them even on their field - make the FG's and we tie/win, or get the 4th down call and who knows? We are light on offense, but we have a pretty good chance of finishing out with W's. We just can't get down and let one loss turn in to two.

Nov 2, 2004
Broken Arrow
When Pat Jones had weapons, his teams put up good offensive stats and numbers. In probation years, he just wanted to run down the clock because he had no depth at all positions.

The Pat Jones in Gundy is that he think you got to establish the running game to have any chance when playing 0u . Kansas State believe the same, and that was why K-State teams were always be able to beat or were in close games with 0u.
Well that really isn't working for Gundy against ou...so how about try something different...again, what does he have to lose? He has beaten them twice...

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
History repeated itself alright but it wasn't 2011, it was 2020.
Top 10 ranking, undefeated, with a chance to make a huge statement win right around the time the cfp rankings are going to come out and taking a huge leg up towards making the conference championship game.

Instead we are left shaking our heads and wondering what might have been if our special teams were better.

At some point even the most stubborn person has to step back and think; whatever we are doing with special teams isn't working, maybe it's time to try something new.

Sep 8, 2014
The back 40
ISU right now is arguably the best opponent this year, and we played them even on their field - make the FG's and we tie/win, or get the 4th down call and who knows? We are light on offense, but we have a pretty good chance of finishing out with W's. We just can't get down and let one loss turn in to two.
Yep. I still feel pretty good all and all. Our offense needs to do just enough and not turn over the ball. Its like we are playing football in the late 70’s but as long as it works, I’m in.

We hit our field goals we win. It’s that simple. We get a better spot on 4th down, we probably tie it up and win in overtime.

Iowa state is good and peaking at the right time. We win out and this won’t be viewed as a bad loss.

TheMonkey

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 16, 2004
DFW
remember a play from I think the Texas or Baylor game where he got the ball in the flat, turned to go north, and got lit up 4 yards later (he started maybe 2 yards behind scrimmage, so it was a short gain that should have gotten much more). He was totally 'in space', and I remember out loud saying "well, certainly didn't make the first guy miss, did you?"
Boise

CPTNQUIRK

I'm Your Captain!
A/V Subscriber
Nov 20, 2006
In the Boondocks in Creek County, Oklahoma
I would agree that we "could" def beat ou if Gundy went all out against them but he never does. He employs the Pat Jones theory of lets just not get beat by too much. I don't understand it, every year against them he has nothing to lose, yet he coaches like a turtle afraid to come out of the shell!

Throw everything you got!
I disagree with your statement that he coaches like a turtle. The games have been very competitive about half the time since Gundy has been our head coach. Look at the scores. The ones with the yellow mark were very competitive. The 2008 game was close right up to the last 4 or 5 minutes, IIRC.
2FFE15AA-2CDD-49DB-A101-7DEB0028352B.jpeg

Nov 2, 2004
Broken Arrow
I disagree with your statement that he coaches like a turtle. The games have been very competitive about half the time since Gundy has been our head coach. Look at the scores. The ones with the yellow mark were very competitive. The 2008 game was close right up to the last 4 or 5 minutes, IIRC.
View attachment 92715
Oh, well as long as we were "competitive" thats all that matters. Just like I said, he coaches to keep them close...

Oct 29, 2004
Edmond, OK
Top 10 ranking, undefeated, with a chance to make a huge statement win right around the time the cfp rankings are going to come out and taking a huge leg up towards making the conference championship game.

Instead we are left shaking our heads and wondering what might have been if our special teams were better.

At some point even the most stubborn person has to step back and think; whatever we are doing with special teams isn't working, maybe it's time to try something new.
As you said and the irony of the title this thread..."History repeats itself" is very fitting. Unfortunately, historically the repeat performance has been a negative for OSU over the course of every season. Most assume that the next 4 games are given wins leading up to bedlam. Year after year, we find a way to lose one of those games we are favored in. I wouldn't bet on OSU winning one or both of the TCU or West Virginia games. We come out flat effort wise, our offensive game plan is flat, or the defense gets confused by offensive strategy of the opponent.

Like you said at the end instead of shaking our heads and wondering why... "try something different" in preparation, half time adjustments, special teams focus or in game coaching. Against, Iowa State they looked prepared coming out to start the game but our half time adjustments were horrible to say the least and that seems to be a season long trend. Is our coaching staff capable of making these adjustments?

I don't want history to repeat itself" because I know how that turns out for the Pokes.

Sep 8, 2012
Fort Worth

I was thinking the same thing before the ISU game last week. That game had the chance to be just like last year except with Iowa State and Texas flipped. We get a big win, get a little hype, then lose. That happened.

However, history hasn't repeated itself YET. Last year after the Texas loss, we looked like a totally different team. Squeaked by KSU (lucky), uncompetitive in Bedlam, squeaked by a horrible Tech team, and then lost to a no good TCU team.

Hopefully the experience on the roster wont let that happen this year, and we find a way to go 10-2 or even 11-1 if we're lucky.

Aug 31, 2004
Austin, TX
I was thinking the same thing before the ISU game last week. That game had the chance to be just like last year except with Iowa State and Texas flipped. We get a big win, get a little hype, then lose. That happened.

However, history hasn't repeated itself YET. Last year after the Texas loss, we looked like a totally different team. Squeaked by KSU (lucky), uncompetitive in Bedlam, squeaked by a horrible Tech team, and then lost to a no good TCU team.

Hopefully the experience on the roster wont let that happen this year, and we find a way to go 10-2 or even 11-1 if we're lucky.
If history repeats itself, it won't be because of the players, it will be because Gundy got out-coached--again.