History repeating itself…..

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

StillwaterMan

Beers and loud noises
A/V Subscriber
Jan 5, 2010
Wheres the food at?
Our offense will be fine. We can run the ball all day against Tech and TCU. WVU is a tough match no doubt, but I think we beat them as they’re pretty terrible. I was worried for TCU, but they’re god awful.

We have great odds of entering bedlam 10-1.
I'd say the odds of winning this weekend are close to 99%. After that we will be 7 point favorites for TT, WVU, and TCU. I think the odds of going 10-1 into Bedlam are about 30%. I'd put our odds at 9-2 going into bedlam very high. The good news is that we can drop that one game we shouldn't and still be playing for something for bedlam.

Feb 24, 2020
oklahoma
SS played good yesterday, and he even had a better QB rating (182 vs 180 ) than Purdy because of the 3 vs 2 TDs throws, but naked eye... Purdy played better in my opinion....and we knew Purdy was and is the better QB.

As predicted, both running games and the good Defenses cancelled each other, and the QB plays and the passing game were better for ISU. They had more passing yardages, their passing were more of variants and dynamics, and they distributed the passes to more with different WRs. Somehow we seems to have only 3 active receivers. Presley, Martin and Owen?? ISU had double that rotations at WRs and TEs.

I have not seen the replay, but I am complementary of SS, The beautiful throw to Presley was a good gamble even though the shorter Presley was double covered. Then there was another good TD throw to Martin right before the half.

With no turnover, very few bonehead throws, and only one busted play (strange?? whole team was going one way and only SS was going the different direction?) is always good with SS.
This was no knock on Sanders....Sanders played well IMO....good enough to win the game with 3 TD's and 0 INTs. I just thought the OL and the play calling failed him. I was hoping Purdy would implode at some point in the game, but it was the opposite.

We rely on 3 WR's mainly. Blaine Green got some run and made a catch. Our passing game needs work IMO....a ton of work. Gundy and Co don't trust the young receivers behind them to play significant snaps even though I think Bray and Bryson Green can make plays. Our TE position isn't a threat in the passing and unfortunately will never a threat.

Nov 6, 2010
This was no knock on Sanders....Sanders played well IMO....good enough to win the game with 3 TD's and 0 INTs. I just thought the OL and the play calling failed him. I was hoping Purdy would implode at some point in the game, but it was the opposite.

We rely on 3 WR's mainly. Blaine Green got some run and made a catch. Our passing game needs work IMO....a ton of work. Gundy and Co don't trust the young receivers behind them to play significant snaps even though I think Bray and Bryson Green can make plays. Our TE position isn't a threat in the passing and unfortunately will never a threat.
I saw some encouraging signs from SS in the game, where he actually stepped up in the pocket a couple times to avoid the rush and delivered the ball downfield, where usually he just bails and tries to run.

Nov 2, 2004
Broken Arrow
Personally, I think we can. But it’s more a statement about our conference than us. OU looks beatable and we should be favored otherwise against the middle of the pack teams.

Did you watch the OU game? We looked MUCH better yesterday. We just played a much better team than they did.
I would agree that we "could" def beat ou if Gundy went all out against them but he never does. He employs the Pat Jones theory of lets just not get beat by too much. I don't understand it, every year against them he has nothing to lose, yet he coaches like a turtle afraid to come out of the shell!

Throw everything you got!

Nov 25, 2009
Kedah Malaysia
I would agree that we "could" def beat ou if Gundy went all out against them but he never does. He employs the Pat Jones theory of lets just not get beat by too much. I don't understand it, every year against them he has nothing to lose, yet he coaches like a turtle afraid to come out of the shell!

Throw everything you got!
When Pat Jones had weapons, his teams put up good offensive stats and numbers. In probation years, he just wanted to run down the clock because he had no depth at all positions.

The Pat Jones in Gundy is that he think you got to establish the running game to have any chance when playing 0u . Kansas State believe the same, and that was why K-State teams were always be able to beat or were in close games with 0u.

Aug 19, 2006
I totally expect us to shut out KU. Every team besides KU is more than capable of beating us. My reference to attacking the SHORT middle of the field is to point out the fact WE DON’T try more than one time a game. It used to be a bread and butter for us under previous OC’s. Every college game I watch, offenses atta that portion of the field and it’s been wide open for us the last few games. Hell, the last few years. Everyone keeps saying, “we’re facing the easy part of our schedule now”. WTH are you talking about? The easy part of our schedule was the beginning of the season and we struggled with those teams offensively. The Pokes will have to fight the rest of the way, it’s far from a cake walk.
This could be a personnel issue. We're still pretty thin at WR. Maybe we don't have the right guys to run crossing routes and exploit the middle of the field.

Dec 2, 2008
SC
This could be a personnel issue. We're still pretty thin at WR. Maybe we don't have the right guys to run crossing routes and exploit the middle of the field.
I don’t buy that, we haven’t done it consistently since Monken left. It was our bread and butter under Holgerson and Monken. Even Gundy would attack the middle when he was calling plays.

Aug 19, 2006
I don’t buy that, we haven’t done it consistently since Monken left. It was our bread and butter under Holgerson and Monken. Even Gundy would attack the middle when he was calling plays.
You mean back when we had Justin Blackman, Josh Cooper, Bo Bowling, Josh Stewart, David Glidden, etc.

Dec 2, 2008
SC
You mean back when we had Justin Blackman, Josh Cooper, Bo Bowling, Josh Stewart, David Glidden, etc.
Yup. Presley would be great in the slot going over the middle. Probably should have been experimenting with it earlier in the season to see if we had anyone that could excel at it.

Aug 19, 2006
Yup. Presley would be great in the slot going over the middle. Probably should have been experimenting with it earlier in the season to see if we had anyone that could excel at it.
I agree. Would love to see it happen. Other Presley, I just don't see these other guys on our current roster. We'll just have to maximize what we can do with Presley. He needs to be touching the ball at least as many times as Josh Stewart did back in the day.

TheMonkey

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 16, 2004
DFW
When Pat Jones had weapons, his teams put up good offensive stats and numbers. In probation years, he just wanted to run down the clock because he had no depth at all positions.

The Pat Jones in Gundy is that he think you got to establish the running game to have any chance when playing 0u . Kansas State believe the same, and that was why K-State teams were always be able to beat or were in close games with 0u.
I realized this weekend, we are KState at their prime.
  • Rock-solid defense.
  • Strong running game
  • Dual-threat QB
  • Mediocre passing attack

Aug 19, 2006
I agree. Would love to see it happen. Other Presley, I just don't see these other guys on our current roster. We'll just have to maximize what we can do with Presley. He needs to be touching the ball at least as many times as Josh Stewart did back in the day.
And we had traditional TE's back then. Switching to the Cowboy Back has essentially taken that receiver option off the board. Even Jarwin was under-utilized and he was an NFL caliber receiver.

UrbanCowboy1

Some cowboys gots smarts real good like me.
Aug 8, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
I saw some encouraging signs from SS in the game, where he actually stepped up in the pocket a couple times to avoid the rush and delivered the ball downfield, where usually he just bails and tries to run.
I agree with this wholeheartedly. The no int's is a big deal for him. That said, he's still not in the upper half of B12 QB's. Switch him and Purdy and we blow the doors off ISU.

Aug 13, 2005
OKC
Tyreek twitted great to see a small guy Presley shiiii. Seems OSU didn’t know how to use Tyreek. Maybe Gundy needs to call Andy Reid to get some Tyreek plays? Presley seems faster than Tyreek on the field. He will break some to the house soon!

Nov 6, 2010
Sorry, BP is not faster than Tyreek in any environment. Maybe in a pool, but don't know that for sure.
But possibly quicker. His first step is incredible, and that's partially because he's so small. We have to find ways to get him the ball in space in a one on one situation, he will make the first defender miss EVERY SINGLE TIME.

Feb 15, 2017
Texas
But possibly quicker. His first step is incredible, and that's partially because he's so small. We have to find ways to get him the ball in space in a one on one situation, he will make the first defender miss EVERY SINGLE TIME.
hmm, didn't seem to make that ISU defender miss on our 4th and 2 play at the end of the game . . .

OSU79

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 22, 2009
Back home in God's (Green) Country
I'm not even 100% sure Presley is quicker, but he definitely has a gift for making that first guy miss. Maybe he setting the guy up with his eyes or an imperceptible (so far) tiny shift of the hips or shoulders, but you're correct - almost never does the first guy (in space) slow him up.

Edit: I'd like it noted I typed "in space" before @Big Daddy 's goofy post above.

Nov 6, 2010
I'm not even 100% sure Presley is quicker, but he definitely has a gift for making that first guy miss. Maybe he setting the guy up with his eyes or an imperceptible (so far) tiny shift of the hips or shoulders, but you're correct - almost never does the first guy (in space) slow him up.

Edit: I'd like it noted I typed "in space" before @Big Daddy 's goofy post above.
There is a reason him and his brother are barely 4* prospects, even while putting up video game numbers in high school. They are small, but quicker than a cat. Tyreek has straight line speed that can't be questioned, but these two have unbelievable quick twitch athleticism. There was one play in the Texas game where we got Brennan in a one on one situation with a db in the flat. Just replay that one if you can find it, and you'll see what I mean. That 4 or 5 star Texas DB had zero chance.