History repeating itself…..

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

TheMonkey

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 16, 2004
DFW
I think people are delusional that this team can go 11-1. Just my opinion. No calls for banning me, please. :lol:
Personally, I think we can. But it’s more a statement about our conference than us. OU looks beatable and we should be favored otherwise against the middle of the pack teams.

Did you watch the OU game? We looked MUCH better yesterday. We just played a much better team than they did.

jnewtont

Territorial Marshal
Oct 18, 2010
Tallahassee, FL
11-1 with only one loss at Iowa State…. But this time it is considered at good loss and thus we’re in !
Thank you ISU for getting better.
For it to truly repeat itself, we go 11-1, end up #5 in CFP (outside looking in) thus breaking the CFP system (as we did the BCS) and they expand to eight teams (in following years) as a result.

Sep 6, 2014
Personally, I think we can. But it’s more a statement about our conference than us. OU looks beatable and we should be favored otherwise against the middle of the pack teams.

Did you watch the OU game? We looked MUCH better yesterday. We just played a much better team than they did.

Being favored means nothing to me. Texas Tech, WV and TCU are all 50/50 games IMHO. We don't have the offense to be able to look past ANYBODY at this point

TheMonkey

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 16, 2004
DFW
Being favored means nothing to me. Texas Tech, WV and TCU are all 50/50 games IMHO. We don't have the offense to be able to look past ANYBODY at this point
Having watched those teams play, I would give us the edge. I never said we could look past anyone, but I was making the point that it isn’t unreasonable to believe we have a shot. We’re playing better than anyone else left on our schedule.

Dec 2, 2008
SC
Having watched those teams play, I would give us the edge. I never said we could look past anyone, but I was making the point that it isn’t unreasonable to believe we have a shot. We’re playing better than anyone else left on our schedule.
Disagree. Purdy was the best QB we’ve faced so far and we face decent/capable QB’s the rest of the way. As great as this defense is, the secondary has been suspect all season and ISU was able to expose that Saturday because we weren’t able to get pressure on the QB on a consistent basis. I do think the defense played well enough for us to beat ISU but the game plan against our D in the second half of the ISU is what everyone will do against us the rest of the way. Everyone, yes even KU is more than capable of scorching us down and in the middle of the field.

Play calling has to get better and I don’t expect it will as long as Dunn is still making the calls. We’re the only team in the country that does not attack the short middle of the field in the passing game.

That’s my hangover from yesterday’s game and drunk analysis of the rest of the season.

PokeJ

Territorial Marshal
Oct 27, 2003
McKinney, TX
Visit site
I think people are delusional that this team can go 11-1. Just my opinion. No calls for banning me, please. :lol:
Agree but they can still overachieve. Picked 4th in conference. 2-1 in games as underdogs. They can still have a very good season and maybe out perform their talent level. They can’t let one loss ruin their whole season

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Nov 6, 2010
Disagree. Purdy was the best QB we’ve faced so far and we face decent/capable QB’s the rest of the way. As great as this defense is, the secondary has been suspect all season and ISU was able to expose that Saturday because we weren’t able to get pressure on the QB on a consistent basis. I do think the defense played well enough for us to beat ISU but the game plan against our D in the second half of the ISU is what everyone will do against us the rest of the way. Everyone, yes even KU is more than capable of scorching us down and in the middle of the field.

Play calling has to get better and I don’t expect it will as long as Dunn is still making the calls. We’re the only team in the country that does not attack the short middle of the field in the passing game.

That’s my hangover from yesterday’s game and drunk analysis of the rest of the season.
Man, I don't know what games you've been watching to say our secondary has been suspect. Purdy played out of his mind in the second half, and they still only scored 24 points when we couldn't sustain a drive to save our butts. You act like it's a given any QB can throw over the middle of the field, it's not. Some of the throws and reads Purdy made in the second half were high level NFL stuff. I would not be a bit surprised to see us shut out Kansas next week.

Dec 2, 2008
SC
Man, I don't know what games you've been watching to say our secondary has been suspect. Purdy played out of his mind in the second half, and they still only scored 24 points when we couldn't sustain a drive to save our butts. You act like it's a given any QB can throw over the middle of the field, it's not. Some of the throws and reads Purdy made in the second half were high level NFL stuff. I would not be a bit surprised to see us shut out Kansas next week.
I totally expect us to shut out KU. Every team besides KU is more than capable of beating us. My reference to attacking the SHORT middle of the field is to point out the fact WE DON’T try more than one time a game. It used to be a bread and butter for us under previous OC’s. Every college game I watch, offenses atta that portion of the field and it’s been wide open for us the last few games. Hell, the last few years. Everyone keeps saying, “we’re facing the easy part of our schedule now”. WTH are you talking about? The easy part of our schedule was the beginning of the season and we struggled with those teams offensively. The Pokes will have to fight the rest of the way, it’s far from a cake walk.

Feb 15, 2017
Texas
Our pass defense plan was to blanket the TEs and don’t let them beat us, takes away purdys security blanket.
that worked but allowed #8 to have a career day
pick your poison

TheMonkey

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 16, 2004
DFW
I totally expect us to shut out KU. Every team besides KU is more than capable of beating us. My reference to attacking the SHORT middle of the field is to point out the fact WE DON’T try more than one time a game. It used to be a bread and butter for us under previous OC’s. Every college game I watch, offenses atta that portion of the field and it’s been wide open for us the last few games. Hell, the last few years. Everyone keeps saying, “we’re facing the easy part of our schedule now”. WTH are you talking about? The easy part of our schedule was the beginning of the season and we struggled with those teams offensively. The Pokes will have to fight the rest of the way, it’s far from a cake walk.
ISU is built to do what they did against us. They are the most efficient offense in the conference. Our goal had to be to put them in 3rd and long situations to force them into slow developing plays so we could get to Purdy with our passing attack. We didn’t do that nearly enough.

Our defense is designed to stop the kind of offenses we will face going forward (even OU). But yes, we will have to execute well. We have played Baylor, UT, and ISU. Nobody said it would be a cake walk, but the next three (KU, TT, TCU) are indeed easier. No WTH about that. Bedlam is always our Achilles Heel, of course but they are lulling us into a false sense of confidence by looking very pedestrian.

Apr 18, 2021
Edmond, OK
Purdy wasn’t making high level NFL throws. The DB’s were playing so far off the ball it was pitch and catch and 6 plays latter a TD. I agree with the other poster that said our secondary hasn’t been great, but good enough against lesser talent. The pressure we didn’t get on Purdy bit us in the butt.

Jul 5, 2020
Broken Arrow
ISU is built to do what they did against us. They are the most efficient offense in the conference. Our goal had to be to put them in 3rd and long situations to force them into slow developing plays so we could get to Purdy with our passing attack. We didn’t do that nearly enough.

Our defense is designed to stop the kind of offenses we will face going forward (even OU). But yes, we will have to execute well. We have played Baylor, UT, and ISU. Nobody said it would be a cake walk, but the next three (KU, TT, TCU) are indeed easier. No WTH about that. Bedlam is always our Achilles Heel, of course but they are lulling us into a false sense of confidence by looking very pedestrian.
I’m not comfortable with road games against Tech and West Virginia.

Feb 24, 2020
oklahoma
Whether Purdy made high level NFL throws are debatable. I just know he played really well, was on point taking what the defense gave him, and was the better QB on the field on that day.

PokeIncognito

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Aug 1, 2013
Our offense will be fine. We can run the ball all day against Tech and TCU. WVU is a tough match no doubt, but I think we beat them as they’re pretty terrible. I was worried for TCU, but they’re god awful.

We have great odds of entering bedlam 10-1.

Nov 25, 2009
Kedah Malaysia
If we could just get Iowa State to move the goal post to the right about 6 feet.
Whether Purdy made high level NFL throws are debatable. I just know he played really well, was on point taking what the defense gave him, and was the better QB on the field on that day.
SS played good yesterday, and he even had a better QB rating (182 vs 180 ) than Purdy because of the 3 vs 2 TDs throws, but naked eye... Purdy played better in my opinion....and we knew Purdy was and is the better QB.

As predicted, both running games and the good Defenses cancelled each other, and the QB plays and the passing game were better for ISU. They had more passing yardages, their passing were more of variants and dynamics, and they distributed the passes to more with different WRs. Somehow we seems to have only 3 active receivers. Presley, Martin and Owen?? ISU had double that rotations at WRs and TEs.

I have not seen the replay, but I am complementary of SS, The beautiful throw to Presley was a good gamble even though the shorter Presley was double covered. Then there was another good TD throw to Martin right before the half.

With no turnover, very few bonehead throws, and only one busted play (strange?? whole team was going one way and only SS was going the different direction?) is always good with SS.

Last edited: