History is Cyclic…

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Dec 26, 2011
Stillwater
Dabo, Gene Chizik, Bob Stoops, urban Meyer, lsu Nick saban, Alabama Nick saban, jim tressel all won national championships in their second year as head coaches at new schools just off the top of my head. Head coaches have had weird success in their second years and winning with the previous regime’s recruits... so history being cyclical might be true, just not the way you want lol

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
I expected a longer tanking session from Baylor but here we are. With all the rape going on down there and coaching turnover and they really only had a couple 'down' years. Gotta give them credit for the quality of their head coaching hires.
What most of our fans fail to understand is that if you stand in Waco and throw a rock in ANY direction you are bound to hit a very talented high school football player. They have what, 20 million people within an hour and a half of their doors? With their improved facilities they are a recruiting juggernaut...and have replaced Texas as the premiere destination in Texas for college football, and basketball, players.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Dabo, Gene Chizik, Bob Stoops, urban Meyer, lsu Nick saban, Alabama Nick saban, jim tressel all won national championships in their second year as head coaches at new schools just off the top of my head. Head coaches have had weird success in their second years and winning with the previous regime’s recruits... so history being cyclical might be true, just not the way you want lol
History didn't have a transfer portal.

Apr 7, 2006
It would be interesting to know how many future college athletes drive by McClane Stadium every year. Compare that to the numbers for every other conference team. It's a silly statistic, but just points out the significance of their location.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Previous staff's recruits aren't staying when coaches leave anymore...AND, I don't blame them really that much, as I realize their main connection to the school is typically the football coaching staff. Actually, some type of restriction needs to be placed on both coaches and players who leave (a waiting period or something). I have no idea how this can be done fairly for all schools, coaches, and players...but we need to figure it out because when it happens it does more damage now than ever before. Make no mistake I'm not in the least concerned for ou, but if it happened to them it can happen to anyone who isn't extremely uniquely positioned to survive these types of exodus.

Jostate

Identifies as a Cowboys fan
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
as even Bluebloods have down periods! OU is due a down period and OSU is due an up period. Typically coaching matters so OU will be down the next 3-5 years due to Coaching Change while OSU will be up due to no coaching changes.I can see OSU getting to the playoffs and winning in the near future.

Venables hire could spell down years at OU especially after entering the SEC and maintaining Gundy at OSU may bode good fortune for OSU until he retires, especially after OU leaves Big 12!

Little brother thread is so little brother.

OU ended the season in the top 10 as they almost always do. If you want to count that as a down cycle that's your business. You seem to be counting the next few years as proof they are down when they haven't even been played yet.

Our program is on a good trajectory but I don't think we are to the point of starting threads to celebrate our new status. Could we at least win a conference title before you start gloating about being the new sheriff in town?

Last edited:

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Little brother thread is so little brother.

OU ended the season in the top 10 as they almost always do. If you want to count that as a down cycle that's your business. You seem to be counting the next few years as proof they are down when they haven't even been played yet.

Our program is on a good trajectory but I don't think we are to the point of starting threads to celebrate our new status. Could we at least win a conference title before you start gloating about being the new sheriff in town?
It's "slowpoke (aka "PokeSaladAnnie") Notice this play on the word and making fun of the word "Poke" in both screen names? He's not really an OSU fan...he's a closet / troll OU fan...his posting patters are always ou centric. So, as such he's going to post stupid stuff that are mostly ou centric or designed to make OSU look silly...is what it is.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Well we actually had a massive coaching change at OSU. Only time will tell how much or how little that effects our future success.

I doubt ou will fall much. They may actually have to go through a rebuilding year as opposed to their usual reloading years but I don't see them turning into Texas or anything like that. I'd be just fine if they never make another conference title game in the Big 12 though. After they go to the sec, I don't give a rip what they do.
We lost one coach...our DC...I haven't heard of any other staff...not even on his side of the ball. What does that tell you? To me it tells me his team is still on our team not his...so I think we will roll with it just like this year. The moving on of our LB's will be a much bigger impact than losing our DC, IMHO. That will be the tough replacement and I think we find another great DC OR promote the right guy...either way I think we will be fine on that side of the ball due to the Jimmy's and Joes on our Dline and other returning players.

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
Sammamish, Washington.Dallas, Texas.Maui, Hawaii
17.4 %. That’s us.

82.6% is the winning percentage of bedlam in UOs favor.

They will need to scour hard for a team willing to replace those numbers. Particularly at this point in college football history.

Just by the separation of the 2 teams will cause one to have of a chance to win more while the other will have to work harder.

Jostate

A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
17.4 %. That’s us.

82.6% is the winning percentage of bedlam in UOs favor.

They will need to scour hard for a team willing to replace those numbers. Particularly at this point in college football history.

Just by the separation of the 2 teams will cause one to have of a chance to win more while the other will have to work harder.
Thanks for providing an OU talking point. To be fair, Nebraska's gaudy record against us didn't stop us from surpassing them.

The original post prematurely celebrates us passing OU. Your post throws in the towel for the next century.

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
Sammamish, Washington.Dallas, Texas.Maui, Hawaii
Thanks for providing an OU talking point. To be fair, Nebraska's gaudy record against us didn't stop us from surpassing them.

The original post prematurely celebrates us passing OU. Your post throws in the towel for the next century.
It’s true to this point. Conversely, look at the blown opportunities we had because of that guaranteed loss. It’s so beyond even that. Vegas has a special wrench they put in their formulas for just this matchup. It’s called the “in their heads” debit.

Jostate

A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
And History didn't have NIL.

At this stage, I wouldn't make any predictions on College Football future based on history
It seems to me the changes taking place favor the have's disproportionately. We're not quite a have but we're the king of the have nots.

Aug 13, 2005
OKC
It's "slowpoke (aka "PokeSaladAnnie") Notice this play on the word and making fun of the word "Poke" in both screen names? He's not really an OSU fan...he's a closet / troll OU fan...his posting patters are always ou centric. So, as such he's going to post stupid stuff that are mostly ou centric or designed to make OSU look silly...is what it is.
Not!!! I am obsessed with OSU to the point of going to almost every game in Football, Basketball, Baseball and Wrestling and to all the Chiefs games. I hate oU!!!