History is Cyclic…

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Aug 13, 2005
OKC
as even Bluebloods have down periods! OU is due a down period and OSU is due an up period. Typically coaching matters so OU will be down the next 3-5 years due to Coaching Change while OSU will be up due to no coaching changes.I can see OSU getting to the playoffs and winning in the near future.

Venables hire could spell down years at OU especially after entering the SEC and maintaining Gundy at OSU may bode good fortune for OSU until he retires, especially after OU leaves Big 12!

O-St8

Orange is power.
A/V Subscriber
Jan 13, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
as even Bluebloods have down periods! OU is due a down period and OSU is due an up period. Typically coaching matters so OU will be down the next 3-5 years due to Coaching Change while OSU will be up due to no coaching changes.I can see OSU getting to the playoffs and winning in the near future.

Venables hire could spell down years at OU especially after entering the SEC and maintaining Gundy at OSU may bode good fortune for OSU until he retires, especially after OU leaves Big 12!
I'd say most likely 1 year but maybe 2 years in terms of the adjustment pains to Veneables system at OU. Now depending on how they end up after all the transfers (both in and out), that may add a year possibly two to the mix. It just all depends on how they fill the openings that are left.

It's definitely an interesting time for the sooners...kind of a pivotal next 2 or 3 seasons as they try to course correct and prep for the SEC. If it goes well they'll be fine (though fine will look different in the SEC IMO), if it doesn't...you could see some 7-5, 8-4 seasons in there first few seasons in the SEC.

oSu on the other hand also is in the midst of some crucial seasons. We do return a decent bit of players but lose some impact players. Finding a solid replacement for Knowles will be HUGE. We should have a really salty defense again next year but I'll be shocked if we're top 3 in every major category like we were this season. But we should be top 25 with what we have coming back. Our offense should be improved. O-line returns a number of guys, WR core is probably top 5 in the country, QB (especially if we do no huddle hurry up on 65-70% of the plays) can absolutely be a weapon, and our RBs are solid. We WILL miss Warren though, no doubt about it.

There's no reason why we shouldn't be contending for the Big12 next year and anything less than a 3rd place finish would be disappointing.

Boomer.....

Territorial Marshal
Feb 15, 2007
OKC

If it's cyclical, when was the last "up" period OSU is trying to return to?

:popcorn:

Aug 13, 2005
OKC
Like, a John Blake type of down period? Asking for a friend...
OU will be down like Nebraska down after going to B1G. They won’t be able to compete in SEC. Riley cowardly departed first chance to PAC 12 knowing his sorry butt would get killed in SEC.

Last edited:

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
OSU will be up due to no coaching changes
Well we actually had a massive coaching change at OSU. Only time will tell how much or how little that effects our future success.

I doubt ou will fall much. They may actually have to go through a rebuilding year as opposed to their usual reloading years but I don't see them turning into Texas or anything like that. I'd be just fine if they never make another conference title game in the Big 12 though. After they go to the sec, I don't give a rip what they do.

andylicious

Territorial Marshal
Nov 16, 2013
tractor
Well we actually had a massive coaching change at OSU. Only time will tell how much or how little that effects our future success.

I doubt ou will fall much. They may actually have to go through a rebuilding year as opposed to their usual reloading years but I don't see them turning into Texas or anything like that. I'd be just fine if they never make another conference title game in the Big 12 though. After they go to the sec, I don't give a rip what they do.
I don't get the logic here. They lost a really good coaching staff, a ton of starters, and most of a recruiting class. You can't have that kind of grenade dropped in any program and not expect some really bad results.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth

I do think indications are that ou is going to fall off a bit...maybe just a rebuilding year or two...but they are not likely to enter the SEC on a high note considering they just lost their all world QB to the portal and are instead excited about a guy from UCF...also losing their offensive genius to USC and hiring a defensive guy. I could be wrong, but Lincoln Riley did ou no favors by the way he left and it's going to sting...crosses fingers.

O-St8

Orange is power.
A/V Subscriber
Jan 13, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
OU will be down like Nebraska down after going to B1G. They won’t be able to compete in SEC. Riley cowardly departed first chance to PAC 12 knowing his sorry butt would get killed in SEC.
That IS possible...but I would say way less likely. What Nebraska (nor the rest of the country for the most par) failed to see was just how much going to the BIG would effect their recruiting in Texas (and every other state south of Nebraska for that matter). OU will still be playing teams in Texas and will still have strong ties to the state.

So again I could see a future for OU once in the SEC that included a cycle of records like this; 9-3, 8-4, 11-1, 9-3, 10-2, 7-5. But honestly I think that's as far as they would fall (which honestly for them would be disastrous). In those seasons they might make the playoff twice, MAYBE three times if it expanded to 12?

I could be wrong. If they take a big nosedive heading into the SEC they could get in a bad spot for a while. It has happened to them before so it could happen again. I just think things are a little different now as compared to the early and mid 90's.

OSUCowboy787

Territorial Marshal
Dec 31, 2008
Keller, Texas
I don't get the logic here. They lost a really good coaching staff, a ton of starters, and most of a recruiting class. You can't have that kind of grenade dropped in any program and not expect some really bad results.
I expected a longer tanking session from Baylor but here we are. With all the rape going on down there and coaching turnover and they really only had a couple 'down' years. Gotta give them credit for the quality of their head coaching hires.

andylicious

Territorial Marshal
Nov 16, 2013
tractor
I expected a longer tanking session from Baylor but here we are. With all the rape going on down there and coaching turnover and they really only had a couple 'down' years. Gotta give them credit for the quality of their head coaching hires.
maybe, but Baylor didn't go to the SEC. Rhule did a really good job of keeping Baylor from irrelevance, is the coach of goon up to that?

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
I've been pulling against ou long enough to know they somehow always get through. I would love to be wrong and see them go off the deep end into a multi-year tail spin but many years of experience tells me that they are going to be OK. Venables =/= Blake.

andylicious

Territorial Marshal
Nov 16, 2013
tractor
I've been pulling against ou long enough to know they somehow always get through. I would love to be wrong and see them go off the deep end into a multi-year tail spin but many years of experience tells me that they are going to be OK. Venables =/= Blake.
Venables is better than Blake, but Blake didn't have the exodus that Venables is dealing with. Bumbles bounce but this Bumble seems to have an air leak.