Hero World Challenge

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Oct 7, 2012
Glad I got to go, but honestly between the format and the golf course, spectating was terrible. And the corporate “tents” were ultra obtrusive to the golf course. I had never seen anything like it.

Aug 16, 2012
Glad I got to go, but honestly between the format and the golf course, spectating was terrible. And the corporate “tents” were ultra obtrusive to the golf course. I had never seen anything like it.
Interesting insight!!

I have a buddy that volunteers for all PGA, LPGA and Korn-Ferry tournaments in the area. He says it is the best way to watch and as a benny, he gets a round on the course (sometimes comped, but most times just the access that would not otherwise be possible}. Seriously considering doing this a time or two next year such as at the Byron Nelson (last year at TPC Craig Ranch before they go to the new PGA course in 2023).

Oct 7, 2012
Interesting insight!!

I have a buddy that volunteers for all PGA, LPGA and Korn-Ferry tournaments in the area. He says it is the best way to watch and as a benny, he gets a round on the course (sometimes comped, but most times just the access that would not otherwise be possible}. Seriously considering doing this a time or two next year such as at the Byron Nelson (last year at TPC Craig Ranch before they go to the new PGA course in 2023).
Completely agree. Being inside the ropes helps a lot. I’ve volunteered over at Karsten a couple of times. That’s prolly the only way I’d get to play it otherwise. It was fun being a scorer or whatever even for NCAA events. Those guys are fun to watch. Good luck to you.

Aug 16, 2005
I have marshalled at Houston and the tour championship when it was at Champions...both places comped rounds based on how may sessions you worked. It is a really fun experiance. The best days are Pro Ams and practice rounds..Everyone is more relaxed and approchable

JohnW

Wrangler
Aug 10, 2020
Plano
I have marshalled at Houston and the tour championship when it was at Champions...both places comped rounds based on how may sessions you worked. It is a really fun experiance. The best days are Pro Ams and practice rounds..Everyone is more relaxed and approchable
I've never worked inside the ropes at a big PGA event however long long long ago a PGA event was held at a golf course owned by Waco Turner of Marietta Oklahoma. It was held same week as the tournament of champions in Las Vegas. There were no ropes nor gallery so I followed Bruce Crampton and his gf or wife a nice looking fight attendant.

I'm in Plano Texas now, The Open qualifier in Americas was held the week between the Colonial in Fort Worth and the Byron Nelson Classic. A really strong field of golfers tried to qualify with 36 homes on Monday with no ropes one could be close to the action.

During PGA qualifier days, the second round event with held at a course I belonged to in Houston metro. It was extra fun seeing them struggle on a cold period unusual for Houston area with a Northern wind roaring. I followed them or three days. Really no big time PGA pros came out of that qualifier but seeing them average 5 7 or 8.over par was fun to me lol. 18 is a long par 4 with a water carry off the tee and down the right side of the fairway to the green where it was surrounded by water or 10 foot high mounds. Average score on this hole was 1.5 over par for the four rounds. Less than 50% of the field did not even go for the green in two.

These are the closest I've been to inside the ropes on a professional event.

Aug 16, 2012
PGA event was held at a golf course owned by Waco Turner of Marietta Oklahoma.
Falconhead golf course in Burneyville. Actually own property there and go up to play a couple times a year. His vision was to make it a golf destination resort but after he died it turned into sort of a retirement community. Now? Well, let us just call it an interesting place to visit from time to time. Course is still nice but the whole dynamic of the place from people, housing and golf has changed with the development of WinStar.

BTW, that was 1964 and as a fun fact, the first "PGA" event won by a black golfer, Sam Brown.

OranGE-KK

Deputy
A/V Subscriber
Dec 11, 2011
Falconhead golf course in Burneyville. Actually own property there and go up to play a couple times a year. His vision was to make it a golf destination resort but after he died it turned into sort of a retirement community. Now? Well, let us just call it an interesting place to visit from time to time. Course is still nice but the whole dynamic of the place from people, housing and golf has changed with the development of WinStar.

BTW, that was 1964 and as a fun fact, the first "PGA" event won by a black golfer, Sam Brown.
I played several HS tournaments & duals there in the late 90s-early 00s. Always liked it.

JohnW

Wrangler
Aug 10, 2020
Plano

I always wondered what happened to that course. I think this was when I was old enough to drive but in high school. Would have been 1964 to 1966. I spent most of my time in Houston after OSU Chem engineering. so know the gulf coast courses history better.

Forgot to mention the Katy area course where the second round of the Qualifier was played was Falcon Point. One of the assistant pros there was a former OSU golfer from way Don Lacky I believe was his name

JohnW

Wrangler
Aug 10, 2020
Plano
I played several HS tournaments & duals there in the late 90s-early 00s. Always liked it.
I am older than you but we played a junior tournament in Wichita Falls at Weeks park. Did you ever play there event? I played one jr tournament in OKC at Lincoln Park, Mark Hayes was in the group behind us, we would walk off a green and this little guy would hit every damn green as I recall it. Way out of my league.

We had an amateur event at our Durant golf club each summer where the OSU, OU and NTxU golfers would show up to play. One of the Edwards Brothers played and stayed at our house. I got to play the Number 1 golfer from OU while a good friend played Jim Ahearn of OU team, Jim later ran the PGA of America. I believe Dickie Orr, who is now in Wichita Kansas was the guy I played second match, he beat me 1 Up on 18..

OranGE-KK

Deputy
A/V Subscriber
Dec 11, 2011
I am older than you but we played a junior tournament in Wichita Falls at Weeks park. Did you ever play there event? I played one jr tournament in OKC at Lincoln Park, Mark Hayes was in the group behind us, we would walk off a green and this little guy would hit every damn green as I recall it. Way out of my league.

We had an amateur event at our Durant golf club each summer where the OSU, OU and NTxU golfers would show up to play. One of the Edwards Brothers played and stayed at our house. I got to play the Number 1 golfer from OU while a good friend played Jim Ahearn of OU team, Jim later ran the PGA of America. I believe Dickie Orr, who is now in Wichita Kansas was the guy I played second match, he beat me 1 Up on 18..
I played Weeks Park, but never for any official events; just me & a few buddies.

JohnW

Wrangler
Aug 10, 2020
Plano
Does Viktor still live in Stillwater part of the time?
He does last I heard bought a home there and Austin Eckroat lived in his home while Austin was attending OSU. I understand that Austin's parents owned a house in Stillwater where Viktor and Austin lived during that period. VIktor plays at Karsten Creek with the golf team and practices there. He is about a true Cowboy as you can find

CPTNQUIRK

I'm Your Captain!
A/V Subscriber
Nov 20, 2006
In the Boondocks in Creek County, Oklahoma
Gotta love this guy. One of the great cowboy grads in history. Not only strongest start as a cowboy golf grad but bought his first house in Stillwater to be with the poke golfers rather than Fla like most other pros. A cowboy thru and thru
Did he graduate from the university? I thought his junior year was his last.