Herm Edwards fired at ASu

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Mar 17, 2006
Edmond, Ok
OSU related because previous opponent Arizona State lost to Eastern Michigan last night, 30-21.
Edwards was fired today. Long time coming probably, considering their off the field troubles.

I thought they had a chance to be decent after seeing them live last week. OSUs fate lies in it's conference results, but it makes the ooc not look so good.

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
Its an Urban Meyer deal. ASU wants him and if they don’t fire Herm they can’t compete with Nebraska for him.
Urban isn't picking asu over nebraska. ASU is currently in conference limbo and Nebraska has an auto ticket to one of the super conferences. If they fired Herm early just to compete with Nebraska for Urban, they're morons and that's excluding the issues that Urban would bring. I also still hate it in general. I'm guessing it's not super different from the frost deal where a public institution now owes someone millions of dollars more just to sit at home. I fully understand that no tax dollars go to it, but it's subsidized as "philanthropy" by donors because of its affiliation with a school. It's just pushing us further down the absurd road of college football being essentially one of the most lucrative sports industries in the world with no real reason to be attached to the school. I love OSU sports because I went there, because it became a second home that shaped me, and because it gave me opportunities I wouldn't have gotten many other places. This kind of thing feels like another reminder that the connection between my experience and college football is getting stretched to almost be meaningless. Honestly, keeping Gundy as coach is one of the few things that makes it still feel like there's any real connection between my experience at school and our football team.

gundysburner

Territorial Marshal
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
Urban isn't picking asu over nebraska. ASU is currently in conference limbo and Nebraska has an auto ticket to one of the super conferences. If they fired Herm early just to compete with Nebraska for Urban, they're morons and that's excluding the issues that Urban would bring. I also still hate it in general. I'm guessing it's not super different from the frost deal where a public institution now owes someone millions of dollars more just to sit at home. I fully understand that no tax dollars go to it, but it's subsidized as "philanthropy" by donors because of its affiliation with a school. It's just pushing us further down the absurd road of college football being essentially one of the most lucrative sports industries in the world with no real reason to be attached to the school. I love OSU sports because I went there, because it became a second home that shaped me, and because it gave me opportunities I wouldn't have gotten many other places. This kind of thing feels like another reminder that the connection between my experience and college football is getting stretched to almost be meaningless. Honestly, keeping Gundy as coach is one of the few things that makes it still feel like there's any real connection between my experience at school and our football team.
It doesn't have to be an alum as head coach for me to still feel a connection, because it's still my school's team they're coaching. College fanbases are constantly prone to thinking that their alums are the chosen ones to lead their programs and alot of times it's disastrous. Gundy's a bit of an outlier in this regard.

You can only imagine the reaction in Lincoln when Frost was hired. I bet they'd trade the whole connection thing for some wins the last few years.

Last edited:
May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
It doesn't have to be an alum as head coach for me to still feel a connection, because it's still my school's team they're coaching. College fanbases are constantly prone to thinking that their alums are the chosen ones to lead their programs and alot of times it's disastrous. Gundy's a bit of an outlier in this regard.

You can only imagine the reaction in Lincoln when Frost was hired. I bet they'd trade the whole connection thing for some wins the last few years.
I live there and I sincerely think they'd have kept Frost with just 7 or 8 wins a season on average. He gets a huge boost for basically being their Gundy.

I love Boynton for similar reasons. He'd not an alum, but he is deep into the actual university culture and focused on helping his guys get integrated and graduated as well.

Last edited:

OSU79

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 22, 2009
Back home in God's (Green) Country
Saw this earlier today. If that's real, unforgivably unprofessional. So was leaving Lane Kiffin on a tarmac. It's not funny, it's not ethical. It's stupid and beneath the people doing it.
I would argue that nothing is beneath the people who would do this. The white dude couldn't even look Edwards in the eye.