Henson to USC - disregard

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Well

Deputy
A/V Subscriber
Dec 17, 2009
Some reports state Josh Henson OL Coach at A&M, going to USC. More money and moving to California. Not surprising he would take it. Probably going to be a great gig.

CowboyHoopsPride

Territorial Marshal
Feb 18, 2009
Some reports state Josh Henson OL Coach at A&M, going to USC. More money and moving to California. Not surprising he would take it. Probably going to be a great gig.
Agree. But he won’t be the OC, Lincoln is.
Think it’s a big miss on our part.

Aug 13, 2005
OKC
Henson seems to be a favorite to be back at OSU as HC when Gundy retires in ten-years. Most likely USC will fire Riley in three years so maybe Henson comes back to OSU then when Charlie Dickey retires.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2011
Henson seems to be a favorite to be back at OSU as HC when Gundy retires in ten-years. Most likely USC will fire Riley in three years so maybe Henson comes back to OSU then when Charlie Dickey retires.
I’m not sure why many are high on Henson. Not shown much loyalty to his alma mater as a coach. He’s already left twice for lateral positions at other schools. If he ever got the HC I’d be afraid he’d do the same thing. I get he was hurt he didn’t get the OC job here, but his 2015 offense that got him let go at Mizzou would have made even Kasey Dunn cringe.

andylicious

Territorial Marshal
Nov 16, 2013
tractor
I’m not sure why many are high on Henson. Not shown much loyalty to his alma mater as a coach. He’s already left twice for lateral positions at other schools. If he ever got the HC I’d be afraid he’d do the same thing. I get he was hurt he didn’t get the OC job here, but his 2015 offense that got him let go at Mizzou would have made even Kasey Dunn cringe.
Lateral positions? The 1st time he left to go to LSU, was recruiting coordinator and was a natty winning staff and the second time Gundy wanted Dunn as OC. Loyalty doesn't mean stupidity. After the crap Pattycakes pulled on him when he was a walkon it's a miracle he wears orange.

Nov 18, 2011
Lateral positions? The 1st time he left to go to LSU, was recruiting coordinator and was a natty winning staff and the second time Gundy wanted Dunn as OC. Loyalty doesn't mean stupidity. After the crap Pattycakes pulled on him when he was a walkon it's a miracle he wears orange.
When he left for LSU he was TE coach/Recruiting coordinator and he followed Miles and took the same position. The second time was Oline for same position at A&M. I get those moves probably came with more money, but point is, as a coach, he’s not shown much loyalty so you could only expect he’d be the same as a HC.

andylicious

Territorial Marshal
Nov 16, 2013
tractor
When he left for LSU he was TE coach/Recruiting coordinator and he followed Miles and took the same position. The second time was Oline for same position at A&M. I get those moves probably came with more money, but point is, as a coach, he’s not shown much loyalty so you could only expect he’d be the same as a HC.
You are neglecting the fact he was passed over for OC the second time. When he went with Miles how could he know Gundy would keep him? I've known him a long, long time he's Orange just like his brother is.

Nov 18, 2011
You are neglecting the fact he was passed over for OC the second time. When he went with Miles how could he know Gundy would keep him? I've known him a long, long time he's Orange just like his brother is.
I mentioned that in my original post. But his most recent experience in 2015 of being OC for Mizzou was really, really bad, certainly reason to give Gundy pause. He came back here and only was back a couple years, probably not enough time for Gundy to build trust and feel comfortable. And who knows what his rapport was with the rest of the staff. Hopefully you are right and he does bleed orange, his moves just haven’t evidenced that.

andylicious

Territorial Marshal
Nov 16, 2013
tractor
I mentioned that in my original post. But his most recent experience in 2015 of being OC for Mizzou was really, really bad, certainly reason to give Gundy pause. He came back here and only was back a couple years, probably not enough time for Gundy to build trust and feel comfortable. And who knows what his rapport was with the rest of the staff. Hopefully you are right and he does bleed orange, his moves just haven’t evidenced that.
He actually left when Holder wouldn't come up with the money to keep him, and the OC deal was also an issue. I don't understand why we expect people to stick around when we get outbid. That's not a lack of loyalty, that's taking care of your family.

Apr 13, 2021
Northern California
Talk about first world problems. Every program should want coaches that are wanted by other programs. Learning under LR will most likely make JH a better coach. ATM beat Mama twice while Henson was OL coach as oSu still continues to lean on the portal to find starters. I wished Gundy would have given the job to Henson over Gleeson. In hindsight I think he has benefitted from leaving and will make him a better HC candidate down the road.