Gunnar Gundy

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Jul 20, 2007
Woodland Park, Colorado
I rarely post on here but I think it's going to be interesting to see how Gunnar does this year and if he sees any action this year or ever to be honest. I have a very weird feeling that we will see him at some point during his career put into a situation that might not be the best and him coming out of it looking very good. To me he will have a ton of experience and knowledge entering the game even without actual playing time. He was very good at Stillwater and I see no reason why he can't be pretty good if not better at OSU. For me it's going to be fun to watch him and the other young quarterbacks compete. Will also be fun to watch how Gundy approaches the situation if another QB has to play.

On another note I'm curious if anyone has seen the running backs this year and how they look. Even though we don't have a ton of experience from all that I've read we have a couple that could be the next really special OSU running back.

Thanks and I look forward to the comments. One other item to mention. I'm taking my 7 year old grandson to his first OSU football game this year to see Arizona State. We are both on top of the world to get to go.

Aug 31, 2004
Austin, TX
I rarely post on here but I think it's going to be interesting to see how Gunnar does this year and if he sees any action this year or ever to be honest. I have a very weird feeling that we will see him at some point during his career put into a situation that might not be the best and him coming out of it looking very good. To me he will have a ton of experience and knowledge entering the game even without actual playing time. He was very good at Stillwater and I see no reason why he can't be pretty good if not better at OSU. For me it's going to be fun to watch him and the other young quarterbacks compete. Will also be fun to watch how Gundy approaches the situation if another QB has to play.

On another note I'm curious if anyone has seen the running backs this year and how they look. Even though we don't have a ton of experience from all that I've read we have a couple that could be the next really special OSU running back.

Thanks and I look forward to the comments. One other item to mention. I'm taking my 7 year old grandson to his first OSU football game this year to see Arizona State. We are both on top of the world to get to go.
I hope we aren't forced to have to find out about Gundy or any of the other backups this season. Would be nice to be able to work he and Rangel into the rotation under low-stress conditions a few times over the course of the season. As for RB's, we appear to have good depth, but just as we saw this time last year, that depth can evaporate in a hurry. We know what we have with Richardson, and probably less-so with Nixon (he's bulked up some, so it will be interesting how/if it affects his speed/style of running,) but the rest are mysteries. Glad to have the A&M transfer, Jackson. At least he's got some maturity to go along with size. Hope you and your grandson have a blast!

Dec 21, 2008
Gunnar imo is not a big school QB. I personally don’t think he would start at Tulsa. He’s more of a game manager type QB. STW used him in a spread offense with a solid RB his jr year which opened up a ton of passing lanes down the field to pretty decent WRs. His arm is average, scrambling below avg and ability to read coverages is avg at best. Kind of a left handed small man’s Cornelius (Cornelius has a pretty solid arm though and can fall forward 2-3yds). I don’t think Gunnar will ever get there. I think he will be like Barry’s son and kinda skirt through his career with minimal pressure. I think Rangel will be pretty solid.

Jul 23, 2004
Tulsa, OK
I have seen Gunnar Gundy in practices at OSU and the guy has a heck of an arm and has really good accuracy. Granted, this was only in practices, but if we need him to come in, I think everyone will be pleasantly surprised.

CowboyHoopsPride

Territorial Marshal
Feb 18, 2009
Honestly, if we have the ball at the end of the game and we're ahead, I don't care if it's by 1 or 50, I'd run that play at the end of the game and have whomever is in at QB throw the thing 20 rows up. We're going to have to watch that replay 10x during the game anyway, everyone knows it was the wrong call, some of us knew when it was happening it was the wrong call, I'd do it again just to prove a point.

Jun 22, 2004
When is the last time Spencer played an entire season? My point is that his history says a backup will have to play and not an insignificant amount of snaps.

Jostate

Identifies as a Cowboys fan
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
It'll be interesting to see how far he can chuck it to run out the clock against Central Michigan.
You know what I'd do if I were Gundy? Lets say it's down to the last 5 seconds and we're up by 2 or 3 TD"s. I'd chuck it long but this time send a receiver to see if we could complete it for a little sand in the face last second TD.

Dec 21, 2008
You know what I'd do if I were Gundy? Lets say it's down to the last 5 seconds and we're up by 2 or 3 TD"s. I'd chuck it long but this time send a receiver to see if we could complete it for a little sand in the face last second TD.
You know Gundy gets a 7pt lead in the 3rd quarter then likes to try and run the clock out because that’s what the book says right? He appreciates the punts and flipping the field over as opposed to taking risks

Nov 27, 2007
Tulsa
When is the last time Spencer played an entire season? My point is that his history says a backup will have to play and not an insignificant amount of snaps.
Last year… Unless you’re counting being required to miss the first game due to a positive covid test as part of your rational… then okie dokie

Sep 6, 2014
I've never seen Gunnar play but his stats in HS were fantastic yet he was barely recruited to D1 schools, I don't know if that is more about his ability or that other schools didn't want to waste their time knowing he was going to OSU

The reports I've seen so far is that he has outplayed Rangel for the #2 spot, obviously he has a lot more time in the OSU system than Rangel so we'll see if he can hold him off or not

Duke Silver

Find safe haven in a warm bathtub full of my jazz.
A/V Subscriber
Sep 17, 2004
Cozy's Bar
I've never seen Gunnar play but his stats in HS were fantastic yet he was barely recruited to D1 schools, I don't know if that is more about his ability or that other schools didn't want to waste their time knowing he was going to OSU

The reports I've seen so far is that he has outplayed Rangel for the #2 spot, obviously he has a lot more time in the OSU system than Rangel so we'll see if he can hold him off or not
They have been practicing for 2 hours???

O-St8

Orange is power.
A/V Subscriber
Jan 13, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Gunnar imo is not a big school QB. I personally don’t think he would start at Tulsa. He’s more of a game manager type QB. STW used him in a spread offense with a solid RB his jr year which opened up a ton of passing lanes down the field to pretty decent WRs. His arm is average, scrambling below avg and ability to read coverages is avg at best. Kind of a left handed small man’s Cornelius (Cornelius has a pretty solid arm though and can fall forward 2-3yds). I don’t think Gunnar will ever get there. I think he will be like Barry’s son and kinda skirt through his career with minimal pressure. I think Rangel will be pretty solid.
Not saying you're wrong necessarily because I have never seen him play once, but I was wondering if you watched him a lot in high school?

His stats are VERY good. It's hard for me to believe he doesn't have, at the very least, a really accurate arm to finish his senior year with 47 TDs and 3 INTs. And if you are a dud at reading defenses that would also lead to more interceptions.

So again...just wondering how you got to your opinion of him.

Feb 28, 2007
Gunner played in the spring game year before last and I was surprised because I thought he was the second best QB that day, including Illingworth. Need some live game reps to be sure. We'll see.

Dec 21, 2008
I would hope a 20yo Gunnar would perform better than an 18yo kid who just graduated and is learning to play college football. Gunnar gray shirted so he had a year to lift and get in the playbook before physically being out there. I’m sure being a coach’s son he has every possible advantage to reaching his potential. He has a windmill motion and a long delivery. They’ve improved that the last two years. He played in 6A2 football in HS and this is rarely a DL threat in that class. He’s had several D1 WRs to throw to in HS. I’m not saying he’s trash. I’m saying Eastern MIchigan was one of his few offers because imo that’s about the level of QB he is. If you take the name away I don’t believe he’s one of our 3 QBs. We lost Shane because he never fully developed and was stuck behind Spencer, I don’t blame him. So Gunnar is a safety net there by default and thankfully is on our team. He’s a solid QB. Hopefully he proves me wrong but I’ve seen him play numerous times

Aug 13, 2005
OKC
Being HC son would make it difficult to be the starter as everyone would claim favoritism. I thing Gundy is destined to be a backup and then go into HS coaching after he graduates. He might get in some games that are blow outs or if Sanders is injured. Rangel with time has a higher ceiling then Gunner and should earn the back up. Gunner being a lefty and runner could be situation QB. I think Illingworth would have been playing many games this year if he had stayed as usually one qb doesn’t make it full year without an injury.

At Nevada one of the QB is out due to personal issues DUI Nate Cox who is a 6’9”senior and they’re now down to two qb’s AJ Bianco, true freshman and Illingworth fighting for starter and Shane has the #1 number on his jersey now instead of #16 and seems to be the front runner but he is a team first players saying he will do what coaches decide. Cox may not be back for first game on 08/27 at NMST so Illingworth could start that game.

Nevada was more of a running team so they may need to adjust their play book to Pro style for Shane’s throwing ability. You just know he will earn starter and they will be winning big time the next four-years as he redshirted last year and he has a COVID year and he will go high in the NFL draft. Nevada starter Carson Strong the past three years signed with Philadelphia. Strong sat out their bowl game to prepare for the draft and Cox started in a loss where he played poorly.

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2011
Carlos, TX
Honestly, if we have the ball at the end of the game and we're ahead, I don't care if it's by 1 or 50, I'd run that play at the end of the game and have whomever is in at QB throw the thing 20 rows up. We're going to have to watch that replay 10x during the game anyway, everyone knows it was the wrong call, some of us knew when it was happening it was the wrong call, I'd do it again just to prove a point.
This will probably never die, but I always thought the defense should take some responsibility for giving up a one-chance 51 yard TD off a high school type trick play, the old hook and ladder.