Gundy Succession Plan

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Jul 27, 2011
Bixby
It's the worst part of the year. It's hot, there's no football or basketball, and I'm super bored. I think this is a fun topic to discuss to kill some time.

---

What do you guys think the Gundy succession plan looks like?

Gundy has said several times that he doesn't want to coach his whole life. He wants to enjoy retirement. He has also said, though, that whenever he does retire, he wants OSU to be a premier program and have a solid trajectory after he leaves.

In fact, he's mentioned making a "plan" with administration for whenever that day comes. So... what do we think that plan looks like?

Internal hire? Fresh blood/perspective? Hiring an alum?

I'm kind of envisioning a similar situation to what OU did with the Bob Stoops/Lincoln Riley transition (sans the exit, hopefully). Who do you think that heir apparent could be?

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Nov 6, 2010
We have to make sure Gundy doesn't retire until we're on the back side of all this college football reorganizing. Don't see any way to even start thinking about it until we know what our situation and the overall landscape is going to look like.

Jul 27, 2011
Bixby
We have to make sure Gundy doesn't retire until we're on the back side of all this college football reorganizing. Don't see any way to even start thinking about it until we know what our situation and the overall landscape is going to look like.
Agreed. Fortunately, it seems like he's got another 5-10 years left. Hopefully that puts us past the biggest chunk of realignment, or in a favorable spot, at least.

Regardless, I think it's fun to talk about.

Jostate

Identifies as a Cowboys fan
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
The stability factor of Gundy and his automatic bowl trip every year has been a plus in the realignment insanity.

Jul 27, 2011
Bixby
Zac Robinson has been mentioned, and of former OSU players, he'd have to be #1. If it's more than 10 years from now, one of Gundy's kids could work towards it.
You think getting Zac out of the NFL is doable?

I think you're right, though. He's probably the first name on the list.

osupsycho

MAXIMUM EFFORT!!!
A/V Subscriber
Apr 20, 2005
Valhalla
You think getting Zac out of the NFL is doable?

I think you're right, though. He's probably the first name on the list.

I think OSU head football coach is the one job that "might" get Zac out of the NFL. The problem may be that once this happens Zac is going to be an NFL head coach. Not sure we can pull him away from that.

LS1 Z28

Territorial Marshal
Oct 30, 2007
Coach Gundy said last year that he plans to coach for another 8 to 12 years. It's hard to project that far into the future who the best candidate will be. I would prefer to hire an alum or someone with previous coaching experience here, but only if there's an excellent candidate available.

osupsycho

MAXIMUM EFFORT!!!
A/V Subscriber
Apr 20, 2005
Valhalla
Care to elaborate? Have you heard something about his coaching ability?

Lets just say I have heard that he is not thought of as head coaching material simply based on abilities that would be needed for that job. This is not a real knock on him, just that he is not seen in that light.

SLVRBK

Johnny 8ball's PR Manager
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Oct 16, 2003
Katy, TX
Lets just say I have heard that he is not thought of as head coaching material simply based on abilities that would be needed for that job. This is not a real knock on him, just that he is not seen in that light.
I.e. good coach, not a good executive

Nov 6, 2010
Zac Robinson has been mentioned, and of former OSU players, he'd have to be #1. If it's more than 10 years from now, one of Gundy's kids could work towards it.
Disagree. He has zero head coaching experience, and the coaching experience he does have is all NFL. Completely different set of responsibilities to the point it's almost not even in the same field.

Jul 27, 2011
Bixby
What about Josh Henson? As I understand it, the relationship may need repairing but OC at USC is a high level job.

He's been around a lot of experienced, successful (to a degree) head coaches - Les Miles, Gary Pinkel, Mike Gundy, Jimbo Fisher, and Lincoln Riley.

Just how bad is that relationship?

Jun 4, 2014
Dallas, TX
I'm hoping that we get to a spot where OSU is a destination once Gundy is done and not have to lean on "alumni" to coach. But I think it would be prudent to have a coach in waiting like OU and FSU did with Riley and Jimbo respectively.

Jun 20, 2013
I'm hoping that we get to a spot where OSU is a destination once Gundy is done and not have to lean on "alumni" to coach. But I think it would be prudent to have a coach in waiting like OU and FSU did with Riley and Jimbo respectively.
I have always held this is absolutely the best way to do it. The smooth transition would always be my first choice, but the Riley/Jimbo analogy shows exactly how hard it is to follow a legend. Both of those guys got the heck out of Dodge within a few years and left their programs in shambles.