Gundy Presser 11/29/21

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Nov 18, 2010
I'd agree with others, he seemed as optimistic about the present and future as I've ever heard him.

Reporters were asking friendly questions about culture and how others might copy what he's done here.

Mike Gundy is having a good day today.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2010
Always my issue with Gundy, and Holder's too it seemed. He did that when he first got the job, and now it seems he's doing it again with the last couple of classes. We failed to capitalize on 2011 in recruiting for some reason, maybe this time around he understands what went wrong that time. Regardless, we are trending up.
We were doing pretty well after 2011, until sports illustrated put on a trench coat, snuck in the back door, and poisoned our well.

I'd recommend caution to any players or coaches who find themselves in a dark alley over the next week (or next few months). If you're being offered something sketchy, you better know who it is you're talking to. Too much paranoia is unhealthy, but a little bit can keep your family out of trouble.

Our crimson neighbors in this state don't really want OSU to be where they are right now. (Or where they were in 2011) After all, there are big boy dollars at stake here.

Which is why OU having their program nuked by one of their own, right at this moment, is absolutely perfect for us. Hopefully their hands are too full with their own problems to get involved in a competitor's (our) business. The sooner they move to the SEC the better.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2006
USA
www.yahoo.com
I'm in agreement that this was one of the more illuminating press conferences I've seen from him and I've been watching them for a long time. His comment saying when he got the job he went into the office and cried because he didn't know how to be a head coach was really honest and forthcoming. That answer was surrounded by his answer about his growth as a person and a head coach over the past 17 years.

The man is in a great mood as he should be.

As stated, his relationship with Dr. Shrum and AD Weiberg has certainly given him and the program a much needed boost. They seem to understand how important football is to the entire university. This is a pivotal moment in the history of OSU and I've never been more excited about our future.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9JfjdxMz5M

Jun 20, 2013
As awesome and encouraging as Gundy's comments were regarding the returning seniors, the best part of this press conference was his excitement for the future of the program.

Gundy seems genuinely passionate and confident that this administration and staff can "take the football program to the next level," as he put it.

For the first time that I can recall, Gundy mentioned the desire to recruit more 4 and 5 star players, and the belief that they can build a program that does just that.

This season has really seemed to rejuvenate Gundy, and it sure seemed like he needed it the last few years.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
I agree the conversation about the future of the program, the continual improvement of the facilities, the coordination between him, Weiberg, and Dr. Shrum were all awesome. He talked in the post game presser a lot about atmosphere, and spent a good amount of time on it today.

Essentially, Stilly has 50,000 people, similar to a lot of elite SEC programs. There is no reason that we cannot be an elite CFB town with exceptional environment and game day atmosphere, that ultimately means OSU is a dream job after Gundy is gone. It was really great stuff.

osu_cowboy_007

Territorial Marshal
Sep 21, 2008
Dallas
I hope we have a plan to expand the stadium to 70k+ and put butts in the seats. I want us to be the big dog in the conference, it bugs me that ISU, Taco Tech, and BYU would have bigger stadiums than us.

Aug 14, 2005
Lots of good news in this thread!
Yes there is. I love reading about Gundy’s outlook. Even in his demeanor in the videos we see, he exudes a calm and self-confidence we haven’t seen before, at least I haven’t. That video of him dancing with Charlie Dickey will always be one of my favorites.

CowboyHoopsPride

Territorial Marshal
Feb 18, 2009
Just watched the whole thing, I agree with everyone else that is one of the most intriguing press conferences I’ve seen him do in 17 years. Like people say with Boynton, that’‘s my coach and will follow.

Jostate

Identifies as a Cowboys fan
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
I'm in agreement that this was one of the more illuminating press conferences I've seen from him and I've been watching them for a long time. His comment saying when he got the job he went into the office and cried because he didn't know how to be a head coach was really honest and forthcoming. That answer was surrounded by his answer about his growth as a person and a head coach over the past 17 years.

As stated, his relationship with Dr. Shrum and AD Weiberg has certainly given him and the program a much needed boost. They seem to understand how important football is to the entire university. This is a pivotal moment in the history of OSU and I've never been more excited about our future.

He left out the part where he became a Buddhist

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Is there any way possible to expand the seating capacity in the stadium? Need to find a way to get it to a minimum 65k
There was an upper deck plan a few years back that was tossed around OP...I'm all for it, but others aren't so inclined. Seems like the old guard AD and his boss BP might not have been too keen to over "invest" in the program beyond what was done initially (which, granted, was massive). Meanwhile coach Gundy seems an entirely new creature free to do as his dreams guide him...he's literally blooming under this new leadership that sees new horizons. I'm completely intrigued by his fondness for both the new President and AD... it's as if he has had a huge weight lifted from his shoulders. He's been this way ever since the changes in leadership hit in the summer...IMHO, it's why we are on the verge of greatness this year for the first time in a decade.

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC

Completely unimportant but funny nonetheless. I have subtitles turned on for YouTube and when Robert Allen asked about the "playing in the Big 12 title game" it transcribed it as "playing in the big cocaine". About died laughing and thought, come on now, this isn't Dallas in the 90s.

Oct 1, 2006
USA
www.yahoo.com
Speaking of investment in the program, has anyone ever confirmed that there was a large gift left in the Pickens will? I have heard this murmured about for the past 6 months or so but never heard it confirmed. Seems like it would be public by now if true.