Gundy on Knowles

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Aug 30, 2018
Jonesville South Carolina
I bet Gundy's new reworked contract has some assistant coaches budget language in it, I know he's talked about it in the past. I'm sure Weiberg has a really good idea of the number he can go up to for Knowles, and like I mentioned earlier I believe its in the $1.5M/yr range, maybe a tad higher. For reference, Grinch at ou makes $1.7M and I don't think anybody here would want to swap DCs right now.
Uh Heck to the no!!

Jun 13, 2010
Chicago
Knowles needs at least $1.5 million / year and honestly I'd still be sweating it. $2 million / year is the cost to really secure this guy, and it would be worth it.

He basically needs a Venables deal.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
Knowles needs at least $1.5 million / year and honestly I'd still be sweating it. $2 million / year is the cost to really secure this guy, and it would be worth it.

He basically needs a Venables deal.
We can’t pay him enough if he wants to coach at a blue blood. And we’re probably wasting money and blowing up our other assistant coach demands if we pay him too much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jan 4, 2005
Knowles’ payday keeps getting bigger! We need to pay him ASAP after the Big12 Championship Game. He’s going to run away with the Broyle’s award with a couple more performances like last night!

Nov 18, 2010
Seems like a good time to point out that this defense is full of '3 stars' and some 4 stars. Yet, they're arguably the best defense in the country this year. While this is undoubtedly (partly) due to schematic design by Knowles, it's also happening because these '3 stars' were under-ranked by the recruiting services.

Our coaches continue to find "under-ranked" recruits and develop them into potential draft picks.

Nov 6, 2010
Thought this article was a good reread of how Gundy "discovered" Knowles; basically find a coach doing more with less. He has gone off the beaten path recruiting assistant coaches several times with a good percentage of success.

Mike Gundy Explains Why He Hired Jim Knowles as Oklahoma State DC | Pistols Firing (pistolsfiringblog.com)
Yea, always amazes me why teams go after assistants from the blue bloods and expect them to have the same result with less talent.