Gundy on Knowles

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Jan 4, 2005
No source, just an educated guess. Robert Allen did predict 1.2M/year and we all know he’s athletic department homer with connections. There was a USA Today article earlier this year that showed top DC salaries and I think 1.5M was around 10th in the nation, that sounds right to me.

Jul 5, 2020
Broken Arrow
Knowles is the current example, but it could apply to any coaches we have or want. I don't doubt about the pay raise, or that it will be a a really good level. What I do wonder about is a "top tier" school coming along and poaching him for more money, even if it's something we could handle with a match. Do we? Or do we just shrug our shoulders and accept the fact we're at a certain level with pay and that's it?

Aug 31, 2004
Austin, TX
Knowles is the current example, but it could apply to any coaches we have or want. I don't doubt about the pay raise, or that it will be a a really good level. What I do wonder about is a "top tier" school coming along and poaching him for more money, even if it's something we could handle with a match. Do we? Or do we just shrug our shoulders and accept the fact we're at a certain level with pay and that's it?
I don’t know what the administration has in mind, but after years of watching bad defense, under numerous coordinators, we should do everything in our power to keep him. He’s given us a new identity, similar to what Holgerson and Monken did for the offense.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
We don't have unlimited money though, there no guarantee we could match anything.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Nov 6, 2010
We don't have unlimited money though, there no guarantee we could match anything.

Yea, and texas is paying the special teams coach with the monkey stripper around a million. What would they be willing to pay for a top notch DC?

Jan 4, 2005

Agreed. We've proven we can pay in the top 10-15 range, but look at the top 5 paying programs, we won't be able to match those. At a certain point we have to rely on our situation, Gundy's a stable coach who let's the DC basically be the head coach of half the team, low cost of living in Stillwater, smaller and less blood thirsty fan base which will give him a pass for a few bad years bc we've seen the light. Versus going to a huge program with a million t-shirt fans who must win now and if not, they rotate out coaching staffs every 2-3 years (looking at you Texas, USC, and every SEC team not name Alabama). That extra money made at those places could just end up going to moving companies and relators.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
If (1) Knowles aspires to coach at the highest levels of college football, and (2) isn’t married to Stillwater, there’s not enough money in Stillwater to keep him.

The goal should be to pay him an amount that (1) makes him feel very appreciated, and (2) reflects his notional value as one of the best DCs in the country.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
Sammamish, Washington.Dallas, Texas.Maui, Hawaii
If (1) Knowles aspires to coach at the highest levels of college football, and (2) isn’t married to Stillwater, there’s not enough money in Stillwater to keep him.

The goal should be to pay him an amount that (1) makes him feel very appreciated, and (2) reflects his notional value as one of the best DCs in the country.

So, $1,500,000?

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
Sammamish, Washington.Dallas, Texas.Maui, Hawaii
I don’t know what the administration has in mind, but after years of watching bad defense, under numerous coordinators, we should do everything in our power to keep him. He’s given us a new identity, similar to what Holgerson and Monken did for the offense.
I’ve really enjoyed some of our offenses. I can literally die a happy man because of the many. But I have to say, I love a good defense even more. Never knew.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO

So, $1,500,000?
Beats me, but that feels like the high end.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
Beats me, but that feels like the high end.

Yea it does. But that’s where he put us.
I think how we approach the “negotiation” is as important as the final number. If it was me (instead of Chad), I’d just ask him what he thinks a top 15 DC living in Stillwater should make and then pay him that amount if it’s anywhere in the same area code as what we can afford. That way he feels good about what he makes and how he was treated and thus hopefully instills, or at minimum, reinforces loyalty.

trippin629

Territorial Marshal
Aug 26, 2009
Tulsa
I’ve really enjoyed some of our offenses. I can literally die a happy man because of the many. But I have to say, I love a good defense even more. Never knew.
Ditto. I love me a little contact, Petey!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

andylicious

Territorial Marshal
Nov 16, 2013
tractor
I think how we approach the “negotiation” is as important as the final number. If it was me (instead of Chad), I’d just ask him what he thinks a top 15 DC living in Stillwater should make and then pay him that amount if it’s anywhere in the same area code as what we can afford. That way he feels good about what he makes and how he was treated and thus hopefully instills, or at minimum, reinforces loyalty.

And... he would leave. Let's hope Weiburg doesn't use the Holder strategy.

VENTRINO

You've got 5 seconds.. and 3 are up.
Sep 10, 2008
The Dojo
Not bad for a “who da fook is that guy” hire from Duke.

Seems like that Gundy guy knows how to do his job.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO

And... he would leave. Let's hope Weiburg doesn't use the Holder strategy.
Why would he leave?

Jul 5, 2020
Broken Arrow
Agreed. We've proven we can pay in the top 10-15 range, but look at the top 5 paying programs, we won't be able to match those. At a certain point we have to rely on our situation, Gundy's a stable coach who let's the DC basically be the head coach of half the team, low cost of living in Stillwater, smaller and less blood thirsty fan base which will give him a pass for a few bad years bc we've seen the light. Versus going to a huge program with a million t-shirt fans who must win now and if not, they rotate out coaching staffs every 2-3 years (looking at you Texas, USC, and every SEC team not name Alabama). That extra money made at those places could just end up going to moving companies and relators.
I guess that's the more direct question I couldn't originally come up with: What is that tipping point? I'm guessing someone like Weiberg will simply know it when he sees it.

Jan 4, 2005
I guess that's the more direct question I couldn't originally come up with: What is that tipping point? I'm guessing someone like Weiberg will simply know it when he sees it.
I bet Gundy's new reworked contract has some assistant coaches budget language in it, I know he's talked about it in the past. I'm sure Weiberg has a really good idea of the number he can go up to for Knowles, and like I mentioned earlier I believe its in the $1.5M/yr range, maybe a tad higher. For reference, Grinch at ou makes $1.7M and I don't think anybody here would want to swap DCs right now.