Gundy November/December since 2011

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Feb 5, 2007
Benton, Arkansas
Gundy is a pathetic 15-15 in the months of the November/December since we peaked in 2011. This is just conference games, not including December bowl games.

How do you expect to move up the ladder and compete for recruits that help raise the play on the field and that status of our program when you cannot win in the months that matter?

Keep in mind, the 15 wins are usually KU, ISU, Tech. When you are 2-12 versus your "rival" and 2-6 @ Baylor, and cant beat KSU when it matters, how can you be happy with the direction of our program?

I wish our fans who still live in 1997 and use moral victories vs OU and beating Texas as the crutches of success to support a 6-6 coach, soon to be 6-7, would realize we are out coached, undisciplined, out recruited, never make adjustments, etc. We peaked in 2011 and our fanbase seems so scared of change the idea that no one but Gundy could win at OSU or be loyal for $5 million. We need to understand that Gundy has been given the keys to $5 million, a fantastic stadium and training facilities, equal funding to almost all in our conference except OU and Texas. Can we at least agree that if we go 7-5 next year, the pressure should be on the man?

kadune

What's a fish?
A/V Subscriber
Oct 4, 2008
Indiana
I think the greater fear is that few coaches would be as loyal as Gundy (flirting for raises aside). While OSU is light-years ahead of where it was in 2005, few coaches would say no to programs with better history and fan support. To me, the biggest change is having a yes-man at OC who has not shown the ability to play-call to his QB's strengths or have consistently innovative or interesting playcalling. Bombs on 2 and 9 and draws on 3rd and 16 aren't going to cut it 95% of the time, especially when you have a QB who generally excels at mid-range throws.

Sep 23, 2018
Memphis
Gundy is a pathetic 15-15 in the months of the November/December since we peaked in 2011. This is just conference games, not including December bowl games.

How do you expect to move up the ladder and compete for recruits that help raise the play on the field and that status of our program when you cannot win in the months that matter?

Keep in mind, the 15 wins are usually KU, ISU, Tech. When you are 2-12 versus your "rival" and 2-6 @ Baylor, and cant beat KSU when it matters, how can you be happy with the direction of our program?

I wish our fans who still live in 1997 and use moral victories vs OU and beating Texas as the crutches of success to support a 6-6 coach, soon to be 6-7, would realize we are out coached, undisciplined, out recruited, never make adjustments, etc. We peaked in 2011 and our fanbase seems so scared of change the idea that no one but Gundy could win at OSU or be loyal for $5 million. We need to understand that Gundy has been given the keys to $5 million, a fantastic stadium and training facilities, equal funding to almost all in our conference except OU and Texas. Can we at least agree that if we go 7-5 next year, the pressure should be on the man?
This is actually an interesting stat, and I’m a little surprised you’d get negative reactions to it.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
I think the greater fear is that few coaches would be as loyal as Gundy (flirting for raises aside). While OSU is light-years ahead of where it was in 2005, few coaches would say no to programs with better history and fan support. To me, the biggest change is having a yes-man at OC who has not shown the ability to play-call to his QB's strengths or have consistently innovative or interesting playcalling. Bombs on 2 and 9 and draws on 3rd and 16 aren't going to cut it 95% of the time, especially when you have a QB who generally excels at mid-range throws.
This! Been absolutely maddening for 3 or 4 years now, but MR & JW would eventually always bail us out on these.

Throwing the ball 40 yards down the sideline, on a 3rd & 9 is not exactly a high percentage play to move the sticks. For awhile now, we've been all too content to do just that.

Feb 27, 2018
Tulsa
www.tulsaworld.com
I know this thread is about wins and losses, but the next month is very important for the OSU staff for another reason: Dec. 19 early signing day. From Mark Cooper...

Jim Knowles wasn’t going home.

The bitter feeling of losing a game that Oklahoma State was favored to win had not yet dissipated. But Oklahoma State’s defensive coordinator wouldn’t get a chance to fly back with the team from Fort Worth, Texas, to shake it off.

“I'm not going home,” Knowles said. “Staying right down here in Texas and hitting the road to make sure we secure our signees. It's extremely important to our defense and how we continue to improve.”

Time is of the essence for Knowles, who will sign his first defensive class at OSU in three weeks. His first year as OSU’s defensive coordinator coincided with one of the more disappointing records of the Mike Gundy era — a 6-6 season in which the Cowboys lost to two teams with losing records and another two that went .500.

Sep 23, 2018
Stillwater
I'm done worrying about it. Gundy will be our coach until he decides to leave. Expectations will never be better than just "making it to a bowl", even though we play 2/3 scrimmage games a year so they are really only expected to win 3-4 conference games. We will surprise a good team every now and then and have a bunch of moral victories, but we will most likely never contend for a NC and rarely for a conference championship.
I just heard RA talking about how the lose to TCU could have been a good thing b/c it would force our coaches to examine everything. In my opinion this should have been done last year when one of the most talented teams we have ever had ends up in the freaking camping world bowl. What do I know though, I'm just an internet troll thats behind on all his payments......except for those season tickets, gotta keep things in perspective.

cowboyethics344

Federal Marshal
Apr 2, 2008
I'm done worrying about it. Gundy will be our coach until he decides to leave. Expectations will never be better than just "making it to a bowl", even though we play 2/3 scrimmage games a year so they are really only expected to win 3-4 conference games. We will surprise a good team every now and then and have a bunch of moral victories, but we will most likely never contend for a NC and rarely for a conference championship.
I just heard RA talking about how the lose to TCU could have been a good thing b/c it would force our coaches to examine everything. In my opinion this should have been done last year when one of the most talented teams we have ever had ends up in the freaking camping world bowl. What do I know though, I'm just an internet troll thats behind on all his payments......except for those season tickets, gotta keep things in perspective.
Which reminds me to miss my rent payment again

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
I just heard RA talking about how the lose to TCU could have been a good thing b/c it would force our coaches to examine everything.
I sincerely hope the coaches were examining everything after Tech, and if not, certainly after KSU. If it took all the way to the TCU game to finally enter this mindset, then the entire staff should be let go. (notice I said IF)

Jul 9, 2011
Carlos, TX
If you include bowl games the record is 18-17. Here are OSU and some random other schools for the same period. Are you saying we should be doing better than these teams?

Florida 17-18
OSU 18-17
UCLA 18-17
Texas 17-15
A&M 19-15

There are a few teams with stellar Nov/Dec records, but not many:

Wash 23-12
Oregon 23-11
Mich St 24-11
Wisc 25-11
OU 30-6
Bama 36-6

Generally teams get in to the meat of the conference schedule, rivalry games and sometimes a bowl game late in the season.

Sep 23, 2018
Memphis
If you include bowl games the record is 18-17. Here are OSU and some random other schools for the same period. Are you saying we should be doing better than these teams?

Florida 17-18
OSU 18-17
UCLA 18-17
Texas 17-15
A&M 19-15
We should *ABSOLUTELY* be doing better than all of those teams, given they have collectively gone through multiple coaches, and we've had ours for 14 seasons now.

Sep 23, 2018
Stillwater
We should *ABSOLUTELY* be doing better than all of those teams, given they have collectively gone through multiple coaches, and we've had ours for 14 seasons now
I appreciate what you are saying but your expectations might be a little high. Each of these schools can walk out their front door drive 200 miles and see more 3-5 star recruits than ALL of Oklahoma. Also the size and budgets of these schools make OSU look like a panhandle JUCO.

Cro

we need some celery and a can of fake snow
A/V Subscriber
Apr 6, 2010
Edmond
geez, got some drama?............ well, we all know now that you wife is the one who wear the pants in the family..........

so, who do you want to hire?

Cro

we need some celery and a can of fake snow
A/V Subscriber
Apr 6, 2010
Edmond
We should *ABSOLUTELY* be doing better than all of those teams, given they have collectively gone through multiple coaches, and we've had ours for 14 seasons now.
you guys constantly whine, but i've yet to hear anyone throw out a replacement for Gundy........

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth

Our stadium and training facilities are fantastic, but I think it's important to realize that our fantastic stadium only ranks #79 in capacity in all of college football stadiums. Meanwhile Gaylord ranks #14 and Daryl K Royal ranks #8 on that same list. Certainly we have some advantages but the "fire Gundy" crew fails to see any disadvantages IMHO. However, I don't think anyone disagrees that we need to win more games next year.